Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Fuck it I still love that movie!

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Kubla Kahn, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I actually liked the structure and it fit the subject matter perfectly. I don't know if they were even trying to go for realism or not making the film, but having run into people with severe emotional issues from time to time this film mirrors the experience pretty deftly. Like meeting the first person I knew with bipolar disorder in my freshman dorms. He didn't come out and tell everyone and at first he seemed like a normal guy. We just started noticing odd behavior and his weird nuances. One night it went off the rails when he had a manic episode, tried to fight a bunch of people in our dorm and had the police called. He only reappeared next quarter after being committed for a few weeks. Coming from as safe a white bubble SUAPYG could imagine this was a shocking and trippy experience to go through. Much like the tone of the movie.

Still, even without this type of personal connection it is a risky character arch for a mainstream movie. I see it as a positive rather than a detraction. It tried something different and I think it was executed well.

2. dabeetrus

dabeetrus
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Almost Heroes was Chris Farley's last movie and despite the fact that it bombed theatrically and is critically panned, I find it hilarious. Some of the best absurdism and anti-humor from the mid 90s:

I also can't believe no one has mentioned Kung Pow: Enter the FIst. That's one you either love to death or despise with a heated passion, but I happen to like it a lot, but even I can admit some of the humor is just really dumb and unfunny (like the dated cow matrix scene or the mono-boobed chick)

I'm not sure it exactly fits since it's a cult classic but Wet Hot American Summer is probably my favorite comedy ever. Certainly a very flawed and niche style of comedy from The State crew, but I never laugh harder than when that movies on and I have a few beers in me. David Wain has confirmed they are working on a sequel to the film too.

#62 dabeetrus, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  3. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Beavis and Butthead do America

When I was in high school, I used to love getting high and watching this on HBO.
    If you liked Beavis and Butthead, but didn't like the music videos and shitty production values, this is the movie for you.

To Live and Die in LA

I put this on here because it seems like every movie critic pans it, and none of my friends like it, but I think it is hands down the best action movie ever made... Well, maybe a 3-way tie with Heat and Terminator 2

Plus, it has the BEST CAR CHASE EVER:

#63 dixiebandit69, Apr 3, 2012
  4. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn't call it the best action movie ever made or even especially good, but it was a decent, entertaining, unique little film. It had serious pacing issues, but I really loved the dark, brooding atmosphere of the picture. Then again, it was directed by William Friedkin. If anyone can shoot a slick crime drama, it's him.

Oddly enough, most people, not just me, gave this picture solid ratings on Criticker.

5. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Varsity Blues

Hardly anyone I know has heard of it over here in Aus but I saw it years ago and always get a good laugh out of watching it. Tweeter is fucking hilarious.

The Highlander Series

Not one of the sequels was a patch on the first one but I still enjoyed watching them, good for killing time when you're stuck out bush with fuck all to do.

6. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I had the unlikely pleasure of watching this movie in the company of a black Muslim. You'll recall the scene that makes this significant. It seemed his conscience was telling him to be offended, but he found that part pretty damn funny.

7. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did anyone actually hate Varsity Blues, though?

Everyone I know, myself included, considers it an entertaining, interesting film that didn't entirely succeed at what it was trying to do, but is still fun to watch.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Crown Royal doesn't enjoy it. I imagine because he was picked on by the same jocks this movie glorifies. It is the only answer.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I hated it because it was utterly contrived MTV drivel. Every character looks like a Sears undies model, it has slow-motion show-offy sports scenes, every performance is terrible, and a road map of cliches. Predictable and submissive in every detail. I did not enjoy the movie at all, but many others do.

10. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed. I really thought that it was an entertaining and often times very funny film. I kind of like it for what I would call "late '90s nostalgia," too.

I haven't seen most of the films that MTV has done, but I did really enjoy Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (even if it wasn't as good as most episodes of the show), Varsity Blues, Election, and Orange County.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Freddy Got Fingered

First off, this is a terrible movie by every measure. However I still laugh my ass off every single time I watch because of its absurd vulgarity and although he's a one trick pony, Tom Green can be pretty funny sometimes.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#72 Kubla Kahn, Apr 17, 2012
  13. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a couple to add:

The post about Freddy Got Fingered reminded me of Stealing Harvard. I thought that it was a good comedy, though definitely not a classic. The scenes that Tom Green was in were especially funny.

I watched Boys and Girls (2000) on Netflix a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised by it. The movie actually painted a pretty accurate portrayal of what college romances are like. The acting was bad, as expected, but it didn't stop me from rooting for Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Claire Forlani's characters.

14. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Varsity Blues was UTTERLY terrible and completely without redeeming features. And yet some how, still entirely watchable. I don't even pretend to understand.

15. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reminded me of another movie I love that everyone seems to hate: Equilibrium
    Most people rag on it because Christian Bale is somewhat wooden in the first half, and because its OMG MATRIX RIPOFF DYSTOPIAN RIPOFF 1984 RIPOFF (well, more of a We/Brave New World ripoff) - but I always took it as more of a homage to all those things than just a style lift, and its a fun ride, not to mention Preston (Bale) ends the movie with a kill count of something like 125. Also, as ridiculous as the concept of Gun Kata is, credit where credit's due, it basically pioneered it and did it really well.