Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Fuck Bob Vila... the Home Repair Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Jan 16, 2010.

1. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I totally read that as a dehumidifier. First time is has been above freezing in 4 days and it is still 71% humidity.

2. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure if I should ask here or in the woodworking thread. I'm planning to build a workbench in the garage for typical garage tasks. I've pulled a couple different plans off the interwebs for ideas and wanted to ask here ss well for things I should keep in mind for design.

Mainly it'll get used for the usual garage type projects, sharpening mower blades, repairing a lamp, etc., although the wife and I have kicked around the idea of making some of our own furniture to replace the overpriced crappy shit we have now.

Some of the plans I'm looking at:
    https://www.familyhandyman.com/workshop/workbench/build-a-work-bench-on-a-budget/view-all/
    https://www.familyhandyman.com/work...d-a-workbench-super-simple-50-bench/view-all/

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Pretty happy with the "make your own controller" project... I think I've got all the programming done.

Lots of handy features:
    • time delay on and off to account for minor fluctuations in various sensors (helps prevent "tank slapping" without using a PID)
    • temp and humidity logging
    • ties into furnace harness for coordination
    Tomorrow I get to install it and see how it works in the real world, not just on a bench.

IMG_5706.JPG

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's installed and working now...

Controller is still a bit of a prototype so is roughly mounted... now that it's been running for a few days without any real issues, I'll solder up a proper board for it and mount it onto a plastic board with a cover.

Drainage/recirc reservoir is a HD bucket with a water feed line going into a float valve, with an aquarium recirc pump tied into a relay that sends water up into the humidifier. Recirc pump and the humidifier fan are all hooked up to the Arduino that measures temp, humidity, and airflow and determines when to turn the system on (when humidity is low and furnace fan is on). There's also a "humidifier floaty thingy" that is in the bucket that treats the water to stop any kind of algae growth, etc. Got a pack of 10 of them, and they say they should last a couple of months, so we'll see how that goes.

The only thing missing is an emergency overflow drain from the bucket just in case the float valve fucks up, which I'll handle when I re-install things more permanently/professionally.

image_from_ios-1.jpg

image_from_ios.jpg

#325 Nettdata, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know why - that thing looks ready for mass production, as is.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm going for a cross between steampunk and jihad chique... I think I kind of pulled it off.

The only tweak I'm looking at is a blinking red LED with a "beep... beep" to signify some sort of fake countdown.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I am trying to figure out what is behind this wall. I am unfamiliar with wood stoves and how they are commonly constructed. The ground-level den has a built out area along two sides of the room. The wall comes out about 5 in halfway down the wall along two (exterior wall) sides of the room and the area around the wood stove chimney area is also built out the same distance. I have taken the outlet face plate off the and there is insulation on the half Wall part the floor to ceiling part is very hollow sounding when I bump it with my hand. We have a brick chimney and a gas fireplace upstairs, possibly an insert.

Can anyone easily tell what is behind the build-out area that goes from floor to ceiling downstairs? Is the area that was built out original or was it possibly added later? There are some cracks which makes me think it was built out later, or that part of it was. There is a cable outlet on the inset upper part and the out built lower part and cable guy found that the lower outlet was the live one I believe. I am trying to figure out what is going on here without demoing the walls.

Attached Files:

#328 bewildered, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  9. Whatthe...

Whatthe...
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It looks aesthetic to me, but there's no real way to tell without cutting holes in it to see what's behind there. It's possible somebody framed over a fireplace mantle, hence the hollow sound when you bang on the wall. Most wood stoves I've seen are vented with double walled pipes where fresh air is drawn into the stove through the outer pipe and the hot exhaust gases are vented through the interior pipe.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Thanks for taking a shot at my question. I am extremely green with home DIY but want to get better and do things myself. Sometimes I'm not sure if the situation is difficult/confusing or if I'm just making it so.

So I fiddled around with it more to get details and clues and I think I answered my own question. There was a piece of insulation behind the cap that was wedged pretty tightly but I messed around with it until I realized it was mobile and then ripped it out. The pipe is there and goes up vertically and had more insulation crammed in it. The wall is hollow and there's a set of studs spaced pretty symmetrically on either side of the hole. You can feel outside air with your hand, so the pipe seems to be clear.

I thought I saw that cosmetic surfacing technique on the wall inside too but I took a video and it looks like concrete in there. So the real answer here is don't be afraid to take a look.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've now ordered a new 3D printer (the Ender 5) in order to make a nice, Production quality enclosure for my Jihadish project.

Thought you'd appreciate that.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If this first thing you print isn't a 3D TiB logo, I'll be disappointed. Wait, first thing is a boob, THEN the logo.

13. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

TiB logo incorporating boobs

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

This will be the first test run:

[​IMG]

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

https://snapmaker.com/

This is the 3d printer i have. It is a 3in1 3d printer. It 3d prints, laser cuting, cnc. It isn't like most other 3d printers it comes with it own software. You just load the stl files into there software, they have preset setting(low/med/high) or you can change them your self. You dont have to mess around with cura or any other program like that.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Interesting... I saw that kickstarter when it happened, and was tempted... but there were SO many "cnc/3d printing" kickstarters that just failed miserably that I wasn't interested.

How do you like it?

17. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dont have anything other 3d printer to compare it to, but i like it. Really simple to use, i just download the file from thingverse or that other website i cant think of top of my head load it into there program and go. The cnc works great, but i haven't found any place the lets you just download cnc files like thingverse for stl files, so my limiting factor is trying to get good at cad programs. Never used the laser module yet but it uses the same program as the cnc which is just as easy to use as the 3d printer program.

edit, only thing is, is that the bed is small.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, I was wondering about that. One of the reasons I went with the Ender 5 is that it has a pretty huge build volume, all things considered. I also got the Ender 5 plus a 1kg spool delivered for $400. (Joys of AliExpress... not sure what the import fees will be yet, but so far the prices are way down compared to anything available in Canada).

19. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Haven't heard of the ender 5, but i know the ender 3 is really popular. If i actually get into 3d printing more i am sure i will upgrade just for the bigger size, but i like it just because it is easy to use and i can do 3 things. If i need more bigger/better i will get it but for the price i kicked started for(500?) i think it is a great deal starter toy.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The Ender 5 is basically "what the Ender 3 Pro should have been".

https://all3dp.com/1/creality-ender-5-review-3d-printer-specs/

I think this is a nice stepping stone to the next thing, which I'm hoping is a more affordable 5-axis desktop CNC, something like this:

https://www.pocketnc.com/

[​IMG]