Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Fuck Bob Vila... the Home Repair Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Their power tools are NOT very good. Stack them against Milwuakee or Dewalt and they pale in comparison. Personal opinion, of course.

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh I agree but at there price point there aren't bad. Milwuakee are owning it right now, no one can touch them.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Well now that you add some actual fucking CONTEXT, that makes sense.

Or don't loan chainsaws to idiots... if they don't know to cut rocks with them, they aren't safe enough to use them.

Or, go for something like an electric pole chainsaw. I have no use for one, but I want one... maybe for some local jousting or something.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Tool snobs are funny.

My philosophy with power tools is buy the cheapest you can find to get the job done. If you use it enough to break it, then replace it with a higher quality one.

I have a TON of Ryobi cordless tools, and they all work great, and are crazy cheap to buy, especially the combo packs when they come on sale. Hell, I've picked up additional drills or impacts because they came with the big battery cheaper than I could just buy a new, big battery for.

The only thing I had to replace of theirs was an orbital sander because I wore it out, so I upgraded to a Bosch that's been going strong ever since.

I use the cordless circular saw all the time, but I also picked up a solid worm-drive saw as well because I was doing a lot of framing for a while.

#264 Nettdata, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup, I reno'd an entire floor at my old house with a small Mastercraft impact driver. Only reason I replaced it, the batteries were starting to go. I worked that thing hard.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fun tip... there are a ton of generic battery stores that will replace old batteries for dirt cheap, even for name brands. If it's an older tool, then the batteries will be older technology that won't last for more than a couple of years if they're maintained properly... and replacements can be had fairly cheaply.

That being said, the new battery technology is worth upgrading for... way, way more power that lasts way way longer that charges way way faster. It's like battery technology is advancing at the same pace as computer CPU's or something... it's crazy.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey, if I'm chainsaw jousting, I'm going gas. I don't want the extension cord coming unplugged at the wrong moment.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Got the garage bench done. No sheet metal brake so just beat the shit out of it to get it to fit.

IMG_4210.JPG

Next step is to make a woodworking bench, cabinets, and plumb the dust extraction and air lines in the shop.

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

IMG_20170416_200404.jpg
    Runs for the panel, going to have to put a stud up and box it in, but that is where the panel is going to be. Orange wire is 10/2 for 240v 30amp runs(1 run is going to be a 15 plug and breaker, but I want the ability to upgrade later if needed), yellow is 12/2 for 240v and 120v 20amp runs, the white is 14/2 for my light runs.
    IMG_20170416_200415.jpg
    Look towards the back of the house, you can see the bottle jacks holding up the second beam, just poured the concrete so have to wait 10 days until I can lower it back into place. I need a second beam because they put all the load bearing above that beam on the next 2 floors with no support underneath so it was sagging bad. And off in the back right you will there will be another room with a couple of fan that if I want to do staining or just have a clean room for stuff.
    IMG_20170416_200453.jpg
    Look towards the front of the house. Just off to the left on the other side of the stairs is going to be storage for the house.
    IMG_20170416_200518.jpg
    Look at the main workshop wall. The dust collector will be on the far left plug. Then you see 3 boxes right next to it and then 3 boxes 4 studs over. The left box is going to be a 240v 20amp plug, the bottom right is a 120v 20amp plug and above that is a 240v 30amp plug. The next set over is the same all on a different circuit, and just off to the right will be the same again, 2 sets of three boxes with the first set being on the same circuits as the first set, and the second the same as the second set. So it goes circuit 1, circuit 2, circuit 1, circuit 2.
    IMG_20170416_200404.jpg IMG_20170416_200415.jpg IMG_20170416_200453.jpg IMG_20170416_200518.jpg

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

A couple of days ago I started to rebuild my mom's 2nd story deck. Dad built it almost 30 years ago, and the railings and balusters are rotting out, so I placed the wood order and it was dropped off on Monday.

The base looks solid, so I was just planning on ripping up the old deck boards and redoing the railings. I'd already rebuilt the stairs the week after dad died (2 people's feet went through the steps of the old stairs at his wake... not a good thing).

Needless to say I started really digging into the deck yesterday and found out that the top joists are not really attached to the solid 6x6 base posts. Basically, instead of having any kind of hangar, or actually have anything sitting on top of the 6x6, the entire deck weight is just nailed into the sides of the 6x6 posts with about 20 rusty nails through a couple of 2x6 beams. No carriage bolts, no screws, no nothing. Just 4 nails per side of the two posts.

I'm actually quite amazed that the thing has stayed upright for as long as it has, especially knowing the parties that it has seen.

So today was spent basically retrofitting the base a bit to properly attach the top deck to the supports... putting in carriage bolts and 4x4 45 degree braces, etc.

Tomorrow comes the fun of pulling up rotting floor boards and old rusty nails.

Weeee!

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As mentioned previously I'm rebuilding our 30 year-old deck.

Because I've got more time than brains, I'm sanding everything to 120 before applying the final stain and water protection, and am building the railings using mortis and tenons so there are no screws visible or allowing water penetration. It's all Festool Dominoed and Titebond III waterproof glue.

It's turning out pretty well so far, but the week of rain is kind of cramping my style.

At least I can build the sections in my nice warm, dry shop while enjoying some beverages and a cigar or two.

IMG_4260.JPG

#271 Nettdata, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Finally finished rebuilding the 30 year-old deck.

Particularly happy with the railings as they are all made with mortis and tenons and marine epoxy... no screws, no splinters.

The balusters were hand cut to length and set into the rails with marine epoxy.

Everything was nicely sanded to 120 and major knots were filled with epoxy wood filler.

Hopefully it will keep the water out and make it last a fairly long time.

For now it's time for beers.

IMG_4290.JPG IMG_4291.JPG

13. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

We are prepping the house to paint. Yesterday we powerwashed.
    [​IMG]

Today we caulk, and I replace a couple rotten boards. I already installed aluminum flashing and have my board, now to prime, tack up, and caulk in.

15. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope this post isn't out of place. I came across these while looking for a ceiling mounted rack for my garage. People may already know about these but I couldn't believe how simply genius they are. No fastening direct to your garage door, they just clamp to the panel and are compatible with hurricane bars. I have cleared up so much wall rack space in my garage to use for other things. I moved everything around a couple times to get it the way I want it, there is no binding or anything. I don't normally shill products but I highly recommend you check this out if you need a way to store fishing rods, yard implements, or house cleaning implements. Made by a guy here in Florida - Cobra Storage - you can find him on Amazon

[​IMG]

16. TheDiminished

TheDiminished
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I just bought a house a few weeks ago, and since I moved in and have been getting settled, I've been seeing a bunch of tiny black ants around. They were in the master bathroom and kitchen at first, now after a couple rounds of ant baits and borax/sugar cups, they've seemed to have cleared from the bathroom and only coming in from the kitchen now.

Ordered some Termidor (pro grade perimeter spray that exterminators use) to spray down the outside; should kill the ones going back to their nest and coming/going. Anyone have any advice on killing these little fuckers dead in the meantime?

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Patience, repetition, and chemicals.

We've had stupid amounts of ants this year, and I just followed the train back to where the nest was, and then nuked it with some shit I got from Home Depot (the big battery-powered sprayer jug of it). Then doused the areas where they were getting up onto the deck, into the house, and around the 2 big trees they were eating. Did that about 4 times over 3 weeks, and kept fresh round ant traps in the house wherever they were seen, and they're gone.

The 3rd time I sprayed I must have popped a major nest because about a thousand really, really small baby ants came pouring out when I walked around it. They all died pretty fast with the spray... almost immediately on contact.

18. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How hard would it be for someone with little to no mechanical inclination to replace a washing machine control board? I've gotten to it and everything looks to match one to one connection wise.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's really fucking easy.... YouTube is your friend, and with a bit of patience and a screwdriver, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars in service fees.

I did my washing machine about 3 years ago, and the board was $90 delivered in 2 days.

The absolute hardest part was the insane number of weird screws and panels that had to be taken off and put on in a very specific order... they don't make it easy, that's for sure.

But again, it's really simple if you can follow "unscrew this, slide this panel off" type instructions. The board itself is attached with a ribbon connector, so it's not like you have to solder anything.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I echo all of these sentiments. Only adding the "I've done it too" thing as proof that literally an idiot can do it.