Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Friday Sober Thread: Tragedy in Connecticut

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shimmered, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Horrible people doing awful things.

Whatever's broken in our society that makes this type of behavior (mass shootings, bombings, attacks, etc.) an acceptable response to a slight - real or imagined - needs to be fixed.

2. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: 2013 Christmas/New Years Drunk Thread

We've talked seriously about guns on here before. What came out of it?

I'm hesitant to discuss gun issues when there are people on here who know victims of this tragedy and don't yet know their condition. I'd be happy to discuss it again later when people have had a chance to understand what happened. The focus should be on those who were affected.

I understand the desire to shoot an evil adult who deserves it, but the only explanation I can see for shooting innocent children is a seriously fucked-up head.

3. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hardly would qualify this as an "acceptable response"

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The shooter is dead in the school. Earlier they were reporting a possible second shooter, they found some guy in camo in some woods near the school, it doesn't seem like the guy was related to the incident.

5. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Is it me, or does it seem to be a very American thing? I know we had one school shooting (in a University) in 1989, but it seems that whenever you hear about a mass, indiscriminant shooting 99.5% of the time it's in the United States.

6. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

News reports are saying the shooters brother is being held for questioning as a possible second shooter.

Kids being led out of the building were told to cover their eyes. One can only imagine what a horrific scene it is inside that school. I hope those kids listened. They're going to have enough to deal with, but having a real image of the carnage burnt into memory...I feel sick.

7. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh yes. It's as American as apple pie and baseball. Good grief.

8. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They have ID'd the guy, but about 10 seconds of looking around seems to indicate maybe the media got it wrong. You will wintess the absolute nadir of the journalism profession as a result of this. Every single shred of decency and taste will be thrown aside in an attempt to be first to find someone at the school or a relative of a victim that can utter a coherent word.

All of them, lined up like jackals, slavering at the mouth just to be able to ask "How do you feel?"

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

EDIT: Fuck it, Im too invested in it to comment rationally.

10. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's pretty unpleasant.

I don't know what about Dcc's response warranted that. It's absolutely true: this seems to be a uniquely American occurrence. Not that it doesn't happen elsewhere, but the scale and frequency of these events using guns is something that happens in the US more than in other first world countries.

11. NotaPharmacist

NotaPharmacist
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You've had four in Canada since 2006, There have been:
    13 in Europe, including ones with 16 and 17 dead since 2000
    9 in the rest of the world since 2000
    Approximately 60 in the U.S. since 2000

So not 99.5%, but high at 75% w/ one-twentieth or less of the world's population.

12. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You may consider watching some mexican news then as the drug cartels like to make examples by slaughtering lots of people.

I just can't get my head around why or how an adult could execute children, killing your parents I can see after years of whatever you have enough, but lining up kids and methodically killing them is beyond me.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It made me sick to watch a fucking grown ass man sticking a mic in the face of a 10 year old and ask him to relay the situation and his feelings being there during the shooting. FUCK.

Ive read, Huffpo citing a CNN tweet from a local news source, that the shooters brother has been found dead in New Jersey. I also heard the same about his father and that his girlfriend is also missing. Always have to be weary of ealry reports. Twitter has amplified this effect 100 fold (I know there is a term for this early reporting misinformation I just don't remember it).

14. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know that's top ten on the Average American list of Things To Do For Fun.

15. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This happened a town over from where I live. My fiance is a lead teacher/director at a pre-school, teaching 4 year olds. She hopes that none of the kids she taught last year were involved.

A guy my mom works with had to leave the office today because his two kids go to this school. He's already looking for therapists for his them, and they're thankfully safe and sound.

Who attacks a fucking elementary school?

Whatever motive or mental illness drove this shitbag to do this--a self-inflicted bullet to the head was too easy. I honestly don't know if there is a sufficient punishment.

16. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, yes, because the slaughter of people by a drug cartel in a country that is a hairsbreadth away from becoming run by the cartels is the same thing.

The media coverage of these events horrifies me. Nobody should be talking to these kids except their families.

17. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, it's unpleasant. So is the fact that Juice has already told us that someone he knows was shot today and he still doesn't know her status. I've already pointed out that it's too early to have this discussion and told Nom that directly. You guys go ahead though.

18. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh you are right, innocent mexican women and children have no value.

19. Nicole

Nicole
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Too early and not well-facilitated/moderated.

20. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Once we can identify what is causing these cowards to indiscriminately shoot up public places, we can take steps to fix it. Sadly, I don't think any reasonable explanation has yet been put forward.

It didn't happen 25 years ago. Why is it happening now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.