Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Friday Night Lights Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Riggins, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Season 5 -- the remarkable series' last season -- started up on NBC last Friday. While the season ran on DirectTV in the fall, it is only now coming to prime time. What a great show. The way the characters have matured and grown has been nothing short of spectacular...

This episode started off the season in tremendous form -- from the moving on of Landry/Julie, the misery of Riggins, the heart-stopping win over the defending state champions (thanks to a vicious knock out by Luke) -- and I already can't wait for the next episode. The way Coach Taylor just makes you believe, the way Billy Riggins just makes you cringe sometimes, the way you can just get immersed in Dillon football ... Friday Night Lights is back!

Clear eyes. Full hearts. CAN'T LOSE!

2. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Edit: I am an idiot but I hate that this show runs on Fridays.

3. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First episode delivered. As usual. This show knows how to tug on the heart strings like no other.

4. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Gah, no kidding. Even though I know Julie will be around this season I still teared up when she left. Damn this show.

5. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Teared up when Vince showed his mom the college letters. Seems to happen at least once an episode. Can see that situation being an interesting storyline though, if the pressure and expectations start to become too much.

The crazy coach has some great one-liners. His quote in the newspaper was classic.

Fantastic ending. Made me want to run out onto a football field.

6. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

God-DAMN the scene with Vince in Coach's office -- talking about character -- was some powerful shit. The dynamic between the two is just amazing on so many levels. Perfect coach-player representation. Damn.

7. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just caught up on the last 3 episodes. Some thoughts:

-The actor they found for Buddy Jr. looks so much like his "dad" it's kinda scary. Love the hazing he had to go through, though.
    -Sure has been a lot of drinking this season so far? Luke seems to be getting plastered every episode. And loved drunken Coach asking Tami "what are you wearing." Awesome.
    -Loved the conversation the guys had out on the balcony's at the hotel. I wonder if we'll actually dive more into Hastings' back story at all.

Pretty darn good season so far this year.

Also, I recommend reading Vulture's recaps after watching the episodes. http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/12/friday_night_lights_recap_king.html I think it's the same reviewer that's been doing the last few years, and their insistence that baby Gracie is an alien plotting the demise of the human race always cracks me up.

8. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Ok, what happened? Usually I watch FNL on demand. A week or two ago I caught an episode that (rightfully so) confused the fuck out of me. It turns out that the previous two episodes before the one I watched had not even aired yet. Then I happened to catch the most recent episode live (rare) last Friday and I see a promo for a "new" episode I already watched two weeks ago. I guess it's not that big of a deal, with the whole Directv thing, but NBC still should have had their shit together. I should probably just watch them all online anyways. The episodes have already aired, why follow it every week?

9. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Best quote of the year, by far.

Last few episodes have been very good. Nice to see Street come back to visit, and the return of Matt! I'm not sure where the actor that play's Vince's dad came from, but damn he is good. He's got that underlying menace when talking to coach that is just awesome.

10. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just finished Season 5 of Friday Night Lights. Amazing show, everything wrapped up perfectly. The best depiction of husband and wife ever. I just wish there will be another show like it where the director has the balls to let the actors do what they do best and make it real.

One of the rare shows that brought me close to any emotion and sense of loss when it ended.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

11. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm 26 with an awesome relationship with my father...but I still wan't Coach Taylor to be my dad. He is easily one of my favorite TV characters ever.