Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Friday Night Lights Season 4

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by adamL, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Timo

Timo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I must say the past 2 episodes have been rock solid.

Tim Riggins ending the episode telling Becky to shut up was absolutely pitch perfect.

I've also thought the friendship between Vince and Luke has been well done as well. I can't wait for the inevitable showdown between East and West Dillon and for JD McCoy to get his ass kicked.

2. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why is Tim Riggins so tragic/awesome?
    Why do I want to sucker-punch Julie every time I see her on the screen?
    Why is Tami Taylor so hot?

This is a deep series...

3. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm really becoming a fan of Luke, especially when Tinker came to help out with the fences. A lot of guys in HS had a hard time juggling farm work and football, so that was nice to see.

4. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

"So, go in the bath tub."
    -- Tim Riggins

Name me a better television character and I'll want to punch you in the vagina. That is all.

5. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just another episode that continues to reiterate why this is the best show on TV. It does all the little things right. Julie and her mom arguing and bickering in Boston as a result of the tension tied to a daughter going off to college was so accurately and subtlety done.

Kyle Chandler has Coach Taylor's mannerisms down so perfectly. The little abbreviated "Its good" motion he made after Landry kicked the field goal. Excitement witheld by a his constant need to be a professional and emotionless. Just awesome.

Also, I feel bad that Gracie is continuing to be such an ugly little alien child. I thought she might grow out of it, but hell, she is getting worse. Her hair looks like a trailer park reject. Poor kid. Though I did crack up when Coach couldnt find her pants.

6. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

"Oh, you'll see me sooner than that..."
    -- Coach Taylor

The man has a way with words. The scene with him and Tami, by the lake, was outstanding. It shows the great relationship that they have -- despite all the time they spend away from each other, despite all the bullshit, they are still each other's rock. Outstanding.

This was another great episode, and the maturity and growth of Riggins is an amazing story in itself; it's great seeing the same type if transformation in Vince.

Now, we just need to see them kick the shit out of JD McCoy and the rest of the Panthers...

7. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Zach Gilford is in Post Grad with some Gilmore Girl. The movie looks like crap. But I'd probably see it because I might be in love with him. The things I would do to Matt Saracen...

On another note, even though I'm a girl, I think Tami Taylor is a total MILF.

8. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank G-O-D that the abortion plot arc wasn't stretched out. They did the best possible thing with it, a dramatic out-of-necessity justification of the a-bo.

When are we going to see some football?

9. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Without being spoilerish;

1. Julie is awesome. I used to think she was a wet-blanket, but her character arc is way up
    2. Watching East Dillon succeed where no one ever gave them a chance is amazing, and not just on the football field
    3. Every team, and person, needs a Tinker in their life
    4. I can't decide if Coach is a good in-game manager, or what? How many times does the team do the opposite of what he calls, or just flat out improvises, yet still manages to be successful and win?
    5. I will forever love Tim Riggins. 

That is all, for now.

Clear eyes, full hearts ... CAN'T LOSE!

10. Ryan Leaf

Ryan Leaf
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Another great episode, I really hope they stick it to the Panthers next week. God that would be great.

11. fourtytwo

fourtytwo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I watched the last three episodes back-to-back-to-back. I find I kind of miss it when they're played a week apart, but the writers do a good job of maintaining the same atmosphere across multiple episodes. In the case of these three, it felt like Dillon and everyone in it was sinking.

Unless something major changes in the finale, I think the tag line for this season is "sometimes you're the windshield, most times you're the fly." Coach and Tami are getting shit on for no other reason than doing the right, good thing in the wrong place. Matt does nothing but lives for everyone else in his life, and he ends up with a dead father, unfulfilling school life, and a chasm between himself and Julie, so he decides to live for himself and discovers that kind of sucks too. Recycling the "Tim is a gentleman and gets his ass kicked over a misunderstanding" plot was kind of lame, but FNL is nothing if not a plot recycler*. Still, it fits thematically with the rest of the season so I can't complain too much. And that's not even to begin to talk about the Vince/Lance/Annoying Chick triangle. Either Annoying Chick chooses to stay with Landry and Vince gets nothing for his attempted reform but heartache, or she chooses to go with Vince and once again Landry loses the semi-babe to the better-looking bad boy.

*Thinking about the plot recycling nature of the show, I begin to wonder if it doesn't make it a better show. FNL is, without a doubt, the most realistic portrayal of life in television. What is life if not the same things happening over and over? It makes sense that a guy like Tim would be suspected of being less than moral with his landlords' daughters. Neither in this episode, nor in the episode at the Taylors' house did the misunderstanding seem unnatural. Which is to say, maybe it's unfair to evaluate plot recycling from a strictly negative light if it works for the episode and series in general.

I'm pretty sure that this was the last episode for Zach Gilford, which is fitting. He starts the series as a kitten who gets kicked around; he grows into a Panther who...gets kicked around; and he finishes his tenure on the series by being hung-up on after an abbreviated semi-apology. The guy can't win. I suspect if they made a spin-off that takes place 12 years in the future, we'd find him strung-out, sleeping in a cardboard box, and wrestling with mental illness stemming from his failure as an artist and the regret of leaving Julie.

I'm not sure what to think of Billy and Tim's situation. I think I'll hold off until next week, to see which way it goes. It would be nice if they could pin it all on the dead kid, but I feel like Tim will probably take the heat to get Billy clear so he can raise his Stephen Hannibal Lecter...err..Riggins. It would be the first time they didn't give a retiring cast member at least a bitter sweet ending. All the season 3 grads got happy send offs, Matt at least is doing what he originally planned. Tim ending up in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison would be upsetting. I'm not really sure how much chopping a car is worth these days, but if Tim generated $75K (plus Billy's half) is a lot of cars he'll be going down for. I guess I didn't really wait until next week to analyze it.

12. Timo

Timo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

What a downer this past episode was. I kind of wish Becky would just come out and say it was all her idea, but she's probably too embarassed to do that. I'd been expecting her to tell Tim that she loved him for a few weeks. I'm suprised he's held out on her this long, she's pretty hot.

I was surprised to not see Tyra at the birth, but so goes it. It would be nice if Landry could get some nookie while she's in town.

I can't wait to hear Coach's "Win one for the Gipper" speech next week. I love this show.

13. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Things can't get any worse for Tim Riggins. Can't they just get a lawyer, plead guilty, release the names of the carjackers and pay off a fine (then again realism =/= good tv)? I like Riggins, he always gets shat upon but going ot jail after purchasing his beloved plot of land is just cruel.

The abortion stuff is watered-down "provocative" tv but it's still intriguing. Tami Taylor should just spew the apology and leave it at that. Qui bono?

14. Timo

Timo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I didn't know if everyone on this thread had seen this
    <a class="postlink" href="http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/02/10/friday-night-lights-to-end/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/02/10/ ... ts-to-end/</a>

I was skeptical going into this season, but they blew me out of the water. Some of the racial stuff got a bit heavy handed and the abortion topic was unnecessary but handled appropriately. However, the Julie and Matt storyline was great, Coach Taylor never has an off episode, his cougar wife going head to head with the good ol' boys was great too.

This show has made a history of knocking their season finales out of the park. This year's was no different. Pain, heartache, love lost, redemption, sacrifice, and plenty of football. I couldn't have asked for anything different. My favorite scene was Vince asking Coach if he was good enough to win, and how he could tell how much Coach wanted it. I really hope that relationship continues to expand next year.

All that being said, ending the show after 5 seasons is probably the right thing, but what they were able to do with a clean slate this year was nothing short of remarkable. I do find myself wondering why Lyla, Tyra, and Smash weren't around during Thanksgiving. As the show continued to progress, that list of people would get longer. Anyways, I'm rambling. I'm excited for next season to see the fallout from the big game.

15. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have so many thoughts to fully digest on this episode, but one of the, without a doubt, TOP moments of the season finale was
    JD McCoy throwing a fit and pushing his linemen after being sacked and especially the look on Joe McCoy'd face after the loss. Fuck that guy.

Just a remarkably great episode, that I admit led me to almost tear up. In my opinion, the greatest show on tv. I just hope, somehow, someway
    Riggins can avoid jail, or at least extensive jail time. Him stepping up and accepting the fault in order to let Billy be a father is tremendous growth that further shows why his character is one of the best ever.

Also, more Lyla wouldn't be bad. Oh, Lyla.

16. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck it, I'll admit it. I teared up during Tim and Billy's exchange. This show packs an emotional punch like no other.

Did anyone else catch some subtle differences in Matt's demeanor, or was I imagining it? He seemed more confident and grown up as a result of his leap of faith move to Chicago. He wasn't a stuttering, blundering deer in the headlights anymore. Sure, he lost Julie, but he's chasing his dreams and becoming a man. What a great way for his character to exit the series.

Also, I think the main storyline in Season 5 should be Landry falling in love with Julie. She'll come around after being initially reluctant, then leave him when she realizes she still has feelings for Matt and/or moves away to college and/or becomes a lesbian. This storyline would be refreshing, new, and believable. And really, that Landry kid's love life is the reason half of us watch this show anyway.

17. Rudolph

Rudolph
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Finally watched the last 3 episodes this weekend.

Yep, I did the same. This must be Riggins last season as a regular, eh? That is downright a crying shame, as I doubt anything Taylor Kitsch goes on to do will be half as good as ol' 33.

Anyways, I'd say this was probably the best season since the first one. I doubt it'll happen, but I hope more people jump on the bandwagon once the episodes start airing on NBC.