Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Fresh flesh, please?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PIMPTRESS, May 10, 2011.

1. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We all have participated in discussions mocking vegetarians and lusting for meat. This video and article are damn disturbing and make me consider never eating meat from an unknown source ever again.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...to-know-and-avoid-this-dangerous-process.aspx

We wonder why the human species keeps getting weaker...

Focus: What risks are you willing to take with your food? Does this sort of reporting impact your diet?

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

I am not going to read the article, nor am I going to read this thread, because I don't need to know whatever it says, or anything like it.

3. Wadget

Wadget
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My sister read an article about the conditions and hygiene of pig farms a few years ago and has refused to eat pork again. She's now pretty much vegetarian.

I read the same article and cook bacon and eggs for breakfast whenever I have the time.

FOCUS: Huge risks, especially for bacon.

4. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"As you may know, I recommend eating as much food raw as possible, including meat."

Wait, what?

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Dude... carpacio, using the proper cuts of meat, is divine.

But I'll just leave you with this; hot dogs are a white paste until they add the artificial food colouring in the final step. I found this out from a friend who got a job at an abattoir, and came home stunned and glassy-eyed after his first shift. His favourite food used to be hot dogs, and he's never had one since that day.

Personally, for the most part, I tend to stay as far away from processed food as I can, unless it's home made. For instance, we get a lot of our venison made into pepperoni sticks every year, mixed generously with various other wild meat like moose, etc. Sure, I'll have a few hot dogs at the ball game, or that after-bar donair, but not that often.

Why? i made the mistake of reading the FDA health and safety allowances when it came to food processing and manufacturing.

But is it wrong that I find this story to be fucking hilarious?

<a class="postlink" href="http://boingboing.net/2011/05/07/vegan-tattoo-is-prob.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://boingboing.net/2011/05/07/vegan- ... -prob.html</a>

[​IMG]

6. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Heh, I laughed. Although I'm surprised the tattoo artist didn't call her on it before doing it. Any artist worth their salt knows damn near everything about their work, and the products they're using. It's one of the things my wife asks when getting a new tat, being a vegetarian.

In other news, hot dogs are fuckin' vile. White paste? Ha! If by white you mean, a sludgy grey, then I think we're on the same page. Granted, if you bury them in chili and cheese, with a bit of sour cream, then they're passable, but if you've ever seen the production line for a hotdog company, you'll quickly back away.

FOCUS: This shit doesn't worry me, for a couple of reasons. First, I get the majority of my food from farmers and local companies, places where I've taken tours and know how they handle their products. Costs more, yes, but I can see the animal I'm buying before it's slaughtered, and most of the time I'll even know its name. Second, I don't know if I buy into this right off the bat. Seems like a very biased article, with some questionable info paired with a lack of sources*. Beyond that, I don't eat a lot of meat at all these days. I'm trying to adapt to a vegetarian lifestyle, although in my line of work that's near impossible.

I do have a weakness though, and it's smoked and cured meats. They aren't good for you regardless of whether nitrates were used or not. The old methods, like salt and saltpeter, used to cause frequent bouts of botulism, which is derived from the Latin term for sausage interestingly enough.

*the meat glue information is true, however. It's the cancer links I'm less convinced about.

7. Judas

Judas
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I choose to remain ignorant about what goes into my meat.

Mmm, stuck together bacon.

8. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got Salmonella while in Egypt. I thought it was bad there, but then I flew to Switzerland, and caught an 8 hour train ride through the mountains. There were 2 toilets. An Indian family of approximately eight adults and eleventy billion children monopolized them the entire trip, despite my increasingly urgent pleas and then threats. I had 2 pairs of pants with me. Only 1 made it off the train. This doesn't even take into account the food poisoning I got in Vietnam, where a doctor attempted to rehydrate me using an I.V. drip held up by 2 coathangers and my Ipod charger. I say attempted because I'd lost so much fluid at that point they couldn't raise a vein, and the holes where they were digging the needle into my flesh weren't bleeding.

Now, you best fucking believe the hygiene in my kitchen sets a standard that Jesus himself couldn't replicate. There are 3 bottles of hand soap and 1 of dish soap on my sink at all times. Any utensil used to stir meat as it cooks gets washed before getting anywhere near the cooked meat. Anything left on a bench for over half an hour gets thrown out. And if you touch anything in my kitchen without washing your hands, I will stab you. And then clean the knife immediately.

Shockingly, I rarely eat food made by people out of my direct line of sight. And the idea of eating a hot dog, or buying processed meat, provokes roughly the same response for me that 'sounding' does. If you're into it, sure, be my guest, but... ewwww.

9. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For the most part I'm all grass fed and organic meat, but I'll definitely slip on occassion and I like to remain blissfully unaware of how my food goes from live animal to my stomach.

Seriously, what the fuck is up with Indians doing this? I use to work at an antique store and an Indian family of 7 went into the cramped bathroom at the same time. When they left there was shit EVERYWHERE and I had to clean it up. I think that experience made me racist... still hasn't stopped me from loving Indian food though.

10. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sure I'm going to get an answer that narrows what I can eat even further, but as far as meat glue is concerned, is it generally safe to buy meat that is still on the bone, like pork chops or chicken thighs?

11. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I work at a large Canadian grocery chain (and before you all point out I work in IT, I had to intern for six months at store level and was assistant meat manager for three of them) and part of the training was actually visiting our suppliers. Anything like a chop or a steak we sold was fine, either we'd cut it ourselves instore or the meat processing firm we hired would deal with it, but having been there they weren't gluing bits of steaks together that's for sure.

Can't speak for processed meat, but then again, there are enough problems with processed meat without meat glue.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I ate McDonalds food while watching Super Size Me. It was just as delicious as it always is.

Vegetarianism is so depressing a concept I can't even fathom it.

13. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm choosing to be ignorant about this because I know what my stomach can handle food-wise. I've eaten berries that I've picked from a bush in the middle of the woods, I'm not really concerned with whatever is in the meat I eat.

14. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Am I the only one who is kind of upset that they haven't come out with flavored meat glue yet? I think I'd be much more forgiving if the substance holding my many pieces of meat together was a chipotle adhesive.

15. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It never ceases to amaze me how people will denounce/demonize hogs because of their hygeine, then go out and eat chicken. If you want to see a disgustingly filthy animal, see how chickens live. And I'm not even talking about chickens in "factory farms" all crammed together. Even chickens in good conditions shit everywhere (like their own nests) and regularly eat their own shit, then preen themselves with those same shit-encrusted beaks.
    I still eat chicken though.

FOCUS: For better or worse, I tend to play it fast and loose with my food safety, and it hasn't bitten me in the ass yet.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I try to keep my kitchen and food prep space clean, I always wash my hands, and I refrigerate food as soon as I am finished with it.

Beyond that, as far as ingredients go, I'm not into the whole organic food movement, but I don't really enjoy the taste of hotdogs, sausage, or a lot of other "not sure which part of the body this came from" food. I don't have a rule about it, though. Sometimes I eat pepperoni on my pizza, and I've eaten a slim jim on occasion. Most of those kinds of meats are highly seasoned, salty, and/or spicy, and I prefer eating real meat with real flavor as part of a real meal, not meat that is disguised in hopes that I won't notice that all actual taste is non existent.

17. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You guys know we're talking about dead animals, right? Like....decaying corpses. They're already pretty gross to begin with if you view them in that light, so it's going to take a lot to spook me.

More seriously, given the monumental amount of bacteria that we encounter and consume on a daily basis, I typically can't muster more than a shoulder shrug at the Terror Du Jour.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When I make burgers, I like to put a bit of chorizo into the meat for taste. That shit contains salivary ducts and lymph nodes. And its goddamn delicious.

19. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am sure my eating habits would terrify the average eater. I am not concerned about cleanliness, the expiration date of the food, where it has been before coming to my house etc. I just eat. I've yet to develop some horrible disease, so I think I'll continue the way I've been going.

20. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All of the meat that I eat comes from animals that were hand fed only the finest of ingredients, frollicked in lush fields with their animal friends, and died of natural causes after a long and happy life, to immediately be discovered, butchered and brought to MY grocery store. I refuse to believe anything differently.

Although I would probably rather eat a live bug then a hotdog, that is where I draw the line.