Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Finance Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ryrob, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Crocs acquired Hey Dude. Wife called me trying to figure out how to open her brokerage app that I had setup for her and invest in Crocs company.

I like Hey Dudes and I like Crocs. But they are very different shoes, I hope Crocs doesn't Fuck up Hey Dude shoes.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

This should be interesting.

GME earnings report dropped a while ago, and they're now profitable.

GME is up over 40% 49% after hours.

#1942 Nettdata, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mega yacht, here I come!

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It is pretty interesting how a bunch of the DD is coming true. Peruvian Bull and his Dollar Endgame called the current banking collapse 2 years ago... the Archegos swaps are coming back to bite Credit Suiss in the ass soon... and now the big Hedge Funds are blaming it all on retail clients who just bought and held a stock.

It's been a long time coming, and it hasn't really happened yet, but shit is really starting to get spicy.

All while Cohen is still free to purchase $100m worth of his own stock at any time.

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

By the way, I still love this so much.

It makes me feel giggly that a bunch of assholes on an online forum simply participated in the stock market, exactly as it was designed to operate, using trivial amounts of money from regular-ass jobs, and apparently that move was so wildly unpredictable, the billion dollar hedge funds all simultaneously shit in their Gucci shoes.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I love it too.

And they're/we're not stopping.

Over 60% of the free float is now DRS'd. It's death by a thousand cuts, in slow motion.

Every paycheck is a round of "buy the dip!".

Zero news, price being manipulated down, and down... short cost is approaching 30% with limited availability.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I wonder what GME’s long-term business is going to be. Launching a successful online gaming hub has got to have an enormous barrier to entry if they want to compete with Game Pass and Steam. And cloud gaming services don’t seem to be as successful as they should have been.

9. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sweet!! Now I'm only down 50%!

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You're down 50% because the shorts manipulated the price down as much as they have to help control their exposure.

They've tried everything to convince people to sell and tank the price.

But now, despite all of that, the company is sitting about as pretty as any company can... millions in profit, executing on exactly what they said they would, specializing in collectibles, tidying up the bricks and mortar elements and keeping solid physical inventory, all while moving ahead with their digital platform that is getting more and more buy-in by industry players.

There's a reason the price is having a solid run up right now, and it's not because of retail.

11. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I laughed my ass off watching our 18 year old son buy that and then cash out with a tidy profit. I had to remind him it isn't always that easy ( though his mother and I made it look that way when we bought up a bunch of Ford in '08. )

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

LMAO no better time to lecture your son on responsible investing than when he's pulling in 200%+ returns.

13. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I just wanted to make sure he knew it doesn't always work out that well.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought this was a straight up "ripped from the headlines" thing, but this actually looks entertaining to me.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Here’s hoping it’s not another case of all the good parts being in the trailer.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The good parts are in my bank account. mic drop

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Only good part of you ran down your mother's back

.... wait am I doing this right?

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you’re waiting for my comeback, you’ll have to go scrape it off your mom’s teeth.

19. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, I'm getting around $70k from my mom's estate in the next couple of weeks.

I'm looking to invest it, ideally in one of my Fidelity accounts. I'm already maxed out on 401k's, etc. So...I am looking to you idiots for suggestions.

My initial thought was some index stocks that I can essentially set a limit order on when I get the return I want, sell, rinse, repeat. I'm curious if there are better ways to deal with this kind of capital, or what kinds of stocks would be a good value.

For the record, I am positively staggered I'm not spending it on motorcycles, travel or some shit. God, being old sucks.

20. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How is your cash on hand amount? Not necessarily what's in your checking/saving, but money in accounts you can get a withdrawal from within a week. If that's less than what you would need to cover your "must pay" bills (mortgage/rent, power, vehicle, etc) for 3-6 months, I'd put it I would look for those type of investments first.