Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Finance Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ryrob, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's like he used the dictionary example for insider trading and replaced it with words from his situation. Literally a textbook case.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sure. But even that behavior is probably not helping the short sellers very much, because I suspect your "certain prices" on the way up do not include a modest 30% profit on what you paid.

This is kind of my point, though; even though a lot of people are going to have different opinions on what constitutes a selling point, there's enough hype that some meaningful percentage of the stock holders simply are not expecting to sell all of their holdings at a reasonable price point. So even if that price point is $7,000/share instead of $250,000, that's plenty high enough to destroy the finances of any company that holds a meaningful short position.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

willing to bet there were more than a few investigators reading that posts as well. Wouldn’t take too much to put it all together I’m sure

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Oh, for sure... I expect a huge squeeze, and will start pulling the trigger at a rather high price... I'm just hot waiting for telephone numbers per share like some people think will happen.

I will keep a few in check just in case it does, but I'm not holding my breath.

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

So what numbers are you waiting for, if you don't mind me asking?

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

At that point, those companies will already be toast and it will be the DTCC and Market Makers who are handling the load.

There's a reason that the DTCC has instituted so many new rules and procedures for how to handle the defaulting of brokers/prime brokers over the last 8 months. They are streamlining the expected failure of some of their membership in such a way that it has minimal impact on the rest of the markets. As much as that is possible.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's complex, but my first sell point is at the first major downturn after 20x what I paid.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

What do you quantify as a major downturn? Like losses for x days? Or x%? Do you have any good links I could read that would help me create my own plan?

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm not sure... and I don't have any links.

I just remember a few posts on /r/superstonk that discussed some of the psychology of buying/selling, and how there is some serious psyops going on by the institutional traders to trigger fear in investors to get them to sell. It got me to thinking.

When you think of all of the different types of investors piled into this burrito, you have to think that they will do their best to trigger a mass sell-off and price drop. So I can see them doing a huge sell to drop the price, triggering more sells. Or I can imagine one of the big institutional investors with a few hundred thousand shares hitting "their number" and unloading it all, thereby tanking the price, and then triggering a massive sell-off.

An exit strategy for this that both plays it safe (gets you some good cash in the bank), as well as maximizing that amount, is going to be tough. It will be very fluid, and I think it'll take weeks for it to play out, especially with the freezes that happen at certain limits. Hell, yesterday (or was it Friday?) we had a few freezes, and that was only a 12% change, not 50000% or more. I think a lot of it will happen as a result of the info that comes to light while it happens.

But I do know that my first 2k shares are earmarked to be sold in order to make a VERY solid return and get the cash into my account, and the rest is for gambling.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yeah, I'm having some difficulty quantifying good return vs being greedy. Superstonk can be downright culty and I honestly do not know how high this thing can realistically go. Right now I am trying to put a list together of financial goals, and how much money that would take, and trying to strategize selling a percent of shares in chunks to meet goals. I'm not sure how the smartest way to plan this. Because like you said, there's a lot of psychology that goes into all this. I want to make my decisions in cold blood and have triggers for my sell offs.

I tend to be a bit miserly when it comes to getting deals, so I would probably err on the side of not selling, which does no good if I miss out on the high parts of the parabola. And hubs would be like what are you doing SELLLLL!

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I look at part of it as an investment, and part of it as a gambling/lottery ticket, and treat them independently.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

this is why I only have a few hundred bucks worth in it. That was the most I was comfortable with playing this game. I’m skeptical it’ll ever be allowed to reach the high numbers people are talking about, though if it does moon like that… hell, maybe we can buy an RV or something and put the rest in the bank.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I tend to agree... I tend to think that it'll squeeze to a few grand a share, not the "millions of dollars a share" hyperbole.

That is still a hell of a return on my initial investment, and while not infinite cash, it's a huge fucking level up. Almost logarithmic.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Big week for GME coming up?

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I also dabbled in some BBBY at the right time. Up 60%

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I also dabbled in some BBBY at the wrong time. Down 60%.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

But this is an interesting play.

I was confused, initially... he bought a whack of stock, below 10%, so was a non-insider.

They did a stock buy-back, making him an insider with his new %, so he filed.

He then sold all his BBBY, including the calls from like January of 2023.

There is some discussion about how, having done that, he has to give all of his profits to BBBY because he sold them, without warning, as an insider.

If he did that, he propped them up BIG TIME against the shorts... they would now have a ton more cash on the books.

And I don't care who you are, when I saw that movement correlation between GME and BBBY, there has to be something there... it's either in a basket together, or something.

Regardless, I'm not selling my BBBY, I'll let it ride out, because RC has people on the board, and some shit somewhere is going down.

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

That's what I have been reading today too. It's pretty fucking funny, if that's what is going on. They don't call him an activist billionaire for nothing

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

just got my registration thing from compushare in the mail. Turns out I didn't need it and was able to register my account without it, but regardless, now I have the purple donut and feel a lot better about it all.