Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Finance Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ryrob, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I should mention that Ryan Cohen (GME's new COB, and huge short hater), and Elon, are friends.

2. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can you believe the fuckin' balls on that prick?!

"Don't buy Bitcoins, they're BAAAAAD!
    Buy Dogecoins instead."

- Elon Musk, probably

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

*dogefather

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lol Elon tweets
    C7751948-10F2-4FF4-9AE2-578C841837BD.jpeg
    3534116B-F4E4-46EA-8D34-3E50503ACD26.png

5. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@effinshenanigans I do not have kids. I'm WAYYYYY too selfish of a person to want to take care of another human being and I enjoy my current lifestyle. Having kids would pretty much eliminate a lot of possibilities, however, I've seen kids be way more resilient to change/budgeting if the parents are involved in their life. I could easily see being able to do something like the above if you taught your kid to be more independent, but also has your full backing. I mean, there's 13 year olds who go on cross Atlantic sailing voyages, I can't imagine moving a kid around to a few different towns to better your overall life would have a drastic effect on their well being, but, I don't have kids so who knows.

The local visibility thing is overrated. There's so much info online now where you can pick a locale and find out just about anything about the surrounding areas and the amount of research you can do is almost limitless.
    For airbnb, you don't need a property manager per se. You really just need a cleaning person, a lawn/snow person, and the names of local people to do emergency repairs if needed. All of this can be managed by yourself remotely. Install a Ring door camera, install a camera in the common area of the house, have wifi enabled changeable keypad locks and you're good to go. I know I'm making it sound easy, but once you get past the initial start up phase and you get in your groove, the amount of time needed to actually spend at the place is little to none. If it happens to be close by enough where you can do it mostly yourself, all the better, but you really don't need to be nearby to make it successful.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    This is not quite what I envisioned:

0514.PNG

It's been a rough month, but I've kept adding and I'm still highly optimistic. At least I'm not down $4K now, so there's that.

7. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Y'all got any more of them cryptos?
    I admit, I just suck at this day trading game. Started off with over 1000 dogecoins, then thru various "tactical" sales and repurchases I'm down to 170. Should've just stayed put. I haven't actually LOST money on my total investment, at least not yet. But it could've been more. Screenshot from 0743 today.

Attached Files:

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's almost like crypto is a big fucking pump and dump scheme or something.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

My wife’s cousin’s husband is constantly pumping Shiba Inu and Ethereum MAX on Facebook. The shitcoins are incredibly prevalent now.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just look at the effect Elon Musk hosting SNL had on prices, and that says it all.

Crypto isn't an investment, it's a huge gamble wrapped up in a thin veil of hope for a better future.

"Oh look, crypo is awesome! unregulated! free from The Man! Go Future Technology!"
    shit goes wrong: "hey, man, you need to step in and fix this for me and make it right"

Crypto is, for the most part, more like a fancy beany baby scene than anything else right now. Very few people control vast amounts of it, and people are excited to get in on it because they don't understand it and it makes them feel special. The big players are taking advantage of it.

There are a few special use cases where some pretty cool things are being done... like in depressed economies like Venezuela, where crypto is being used a lot more than their local currency, but that's not the norm.

There are some people who made a shit-ton of money by being early adopters, but there are also some people who won the lottery.

Crypto could very well become a more normal way to do financial transactions in the future, once the big traditional systems roll it out, but then it's not an investment, it's just a vehicle.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I think the people that don’t understand it very well associate a certain degree of prestige to it, in that they like to tell people they “trade crypto.”

Admittedly I don’t understand it very well either beyond the basics, but I understand enough to stay away from it.

12. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't lost anything either. In fact, my gains still stand at about 15% on cryptos alone, Litecoin and Doge. I'm just going to let them sit and see where it goes over the next decade. It's not a retirement strategy or anything, it's a gamble.

I don't own Bitcoin. If any of the ones I do own do anything like Bitcoin has done over the last decade... But I'm not expecting performance like that out of any of them. I'm in them just enough that it could get very interesting, or I lose a little money, an amount that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

13. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Crypto is absolute proof that something needs no value in order to be expensive.

14. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The NFT craze could also be the poster child for that sentiment as well.

"But she was THE disaster girl!"

...$500k

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Crypto is fun for some play money, but if you dump a substantial amount of your personal wealth into it, you’re retarded.

17. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank you, Ford F150 lightning. My $14 call options expiring next Friday were really hurting until that announcement. Since then, it's done nothing but go up. Went from down 60% to up 60% in 3 days. Will sell them today a happy man.

18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

AABB did well this week, I gained $3700 (I did add 7500 shares for $1200 though, so it's actually a $2500 gain), I got my average down to .195 and I'm one penny gain away from breaking even again. Last Thursday I was down close to 40%, now I'm -5.5%. I like these slow gains much better than the rockets, penny flippers are less inclined to join in and fuck everything up.

Next week should be interesting, they're starting an international PR campaign and it appears that retail pretty much has the float locked up. And many of the retail holders don't appear to be inclined to let loose under $2. Also the 24th will be 21 days since the dividend (And thus the share count).....the day a lot of shorts expire. Might be fun.

19. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And it seems like a proper damn truck too. My concern with these electrics is always, how's it handle uphill towing? How quickly does that particular load eat thru your battery charge? They seem to have solved it.

20. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We'll soon be trading alongside 13 year olds.

https://www-fool-com.cdn.ampproject...offer-no-fee-brokerage-accounts-to-teenagers/

I'm glad to see something like this. Everyone always talks about teaching kids about finances over some of the subject currently in school. I don't know what the Youth Learning Center is going to cover, but it has to be better than what 99% of teens are exposed to regarding investing and trading.