Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Finance Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by ryrob, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I don't know what this means. You had an advisor pick your trades for you? And this is your first outing with trading in general? Honestly, you deserve to lose every penny. Like Nett said, FOREX is the deep end and without a Bloomberg terminal, it's just setting a pile of money on fire. Don't pretend you're Gordon Gekko. Buy some blue chip stock you believe in or go invest in a conservative index fund. You're not going to beat complex algorithms playing against you.

2. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Thanks for all the input guys.

3. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bringing this back up from the dead.

Me and a few buddies are going to have a small wager on who can pick the best single stock with a one year gain. 6/20 - 6/21. $200 limit, fractional stocks allowed. Since I know virtual nothing about single stocks as I stick to long term mutual funds, what do you guys think is going to blow up in the next year?
    Originally I was thinking Alcoa as I think our needs for aluminum will continue to rise and it's way down. But, if manufacturing stays down then it might not bounce back that fast. I also think of swinging for the fences and going with cruise line stocks like Royal Caribbean or Norwegian Cruise Lines. Their stocks are in the dumpster but will it rebound in a year?
    I know nothing of companies that may explode due to all the people who may end up just continuing to work from home.

Thoughts?

Edit - It doesn't matter what it spikes to during that period, just what it is worth on 6/1/21

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Beyond Meat ($BYND). It’s rated as slightly bear-ish right now and is volatile as hell lately, but I made a couple grand on it via a call option a month ago. I bought when it went low again and I’m holding for longer term. I think with fears of meat shortages, it’s going to take off.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Motley Fool is a good resource for these types of hints, I think.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Some girl on my Facebook claims she’s made thousands in the past few weeks on cruise line stocks. I heard somewhere the reservations are still booked out.

My brothers both have gotten into this wanna be day trader thing. I think they both lost a few thousand on Lifts ipo? Few months ago.

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since it was announced they were opening up in june(?) booking went up like 600 percent.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, those numbers are sketchy, as they represented 600% compared to the previous 2 days or something, not same time previous year... just a bit misleading.

They've also changed their bookings so that they are no longer refundable.

My sister and mom are die-hard cruisers, and the marketing going out has been desperate and with very restrictive terms.

It'll be interesting to see what the actual cruising numbers are, especially for people that are not near ports and have to fly in, etc.

9. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is the amount at the end a percentage gain or a dollar gain or just apples to apples how much it is worth at the end?

A few stocks I've been eyeing:

DKNG (Draftkings stock which will probably skyrocket once actual sports start up again. In the meantime they are making bank on people betting on fantasy E-sports and Korean Baseball...I'm not kidding.)
    GE (Tried and true and at extremely low levels from a month and a half ago. Could easily see this doubling back to it's pre-COVID levels, so a percentage based bet would make this a good bet)
    MSFT (Another tried and true stock. Microsoft is not going to sit on the sidelines watching little companies get rich off tele-work software. They are going to acquire someone, integrate it into Windows and share prices will rise)
    BA (Boeing could be an interesting play if you are looking a year out. It absolutely nose dived since COVID, but people are going to need to travel at some point. With how hard hit the airlines currently are, there could be a lot of restructuring between now and next year with union contracts, government loans, etc)
    Not sure what sector this would fall under, but look for any company that has a supply chain linked to China which could "easily" break and move back to the US. Think of daily things we need which we get mostly from china which could be brought back to the US. This would most likely fall under big conglomerates like Johnson & Johnson or Proctor & Gamble, things like that.
    Another possible would be anyone getting government contracts to do infrastructure work over the next year. Maybe Catepillar or the like.
    MRNA or INO (These are the leaders in the COVID vaccine race. If one wins, it prints money for years.)
    DIS (Disney. Once parks re-open and movies start being released/made, they are the leaders in entertainment.)
    Not sure if you can buy ETF's at all, but there are a myriad of ones who follow sectors either good or bad. If you think a certain sector won't recover, something like retail, you can buy the inverse ETF and that will print money. One big one that's probably going to fail and you can get in on the inverse ETF are REIT's. There are a shit ton of malls who were barely hanging on that are never coming back and a TON of REIT's are going to be holding the bag on the foreclosures. Think housing market crash of 2008 but for commercial properties.

Most of the people making money in the market right now are doing three things.
    1. Buying low on the main stay companies that aren't going away and are artificially low because of COVID.
    2. Swing trading when news hits about individual companies with heavy concentration in individual states depending on news. Things like Starbucks, Disney, Costco, etc
    3. Options trading against the S&P and the ETFs either long or short depending on what the news is looking like for that week. The S&P in particular has formed a pretty predictable late day pattern when the fed decides to inject liquidity into the markets that either boosts or crashes the price and leads into the beginning of the next trading day.

10. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

MPLX - This was a stock I had my eye on for a while. Not to try to turn a quick buck. But, it had a solid, consistent dividend yield. So, my plan was to invest so much a year until retirement so I can just have a nice stream of revenue in addition to everything else I have planned for retirement.

I invested about $2k in mid March and it's worth about $3,200 now. It could still potentially go up a fair amount. At it's highest, it traded around $32 and lowest around $7. Currently it is trading around $17-$18 so if has plenty of room to move back up to it's original high.

But, I won't claim any experience/knowledge/whatever in terms of day trading or trying to but low/sell high in general. If what little trading I have done has proven, I should stick to the slow and steady (ie dividend yield stocks).

11. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I dropped on OVV. My buy in price was 4.93, less than a month ago.

12. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Picked up some NAK today at $1.95.

Have a look, you decide for yourself, but getting the approval this morning after 15 years of effort would equal gains, I would hope.

13. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Buying more as the price manipulators push this down. It's a buy and hold for me, so I appreciate the lower average share price. Having said that....possibly not a stock for the faint of heart.

14. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Got in at $1.46 Agree with the buy and hold on this one. Mining won't even start for a while.

15. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's a long hold for sure. I laid more in as it dropped, but it's on ignore at this point.

Just waiting.

16. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone else looking at making moves with their house? I look at asking prices for comparables around us and we could likely walk away with $150k+ on a house we bought in 2019. Even with that I'm not seeing much potential for upgrade immediately because of the prices of what's on the market currently, we'd have to wait for a downturn or build on our other land during a time of skyrocketing lumber prices.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The problem seems to be, sure, your house is worth more now, but you also have to pay so much more for a new place in your area that's comparable, or move someplace with a relatively depressed real estate market.

Here where I live, we see prices going through the roof because we're close to Toronto. Toronto RE is stupidly expensive right now, so with COVID and way more WFH, people are looking to get the fuck out of there and go somewhere else. They're selling their 2 bedroom condo for $1.4 million and moving 2 hours away, paying cash for a 4 bedroom, 5k square foot house, putting a new Porsche in the garage, and still have tons of cash left over.

That being said, if you're looking to upgrade locally here in town, you're getting a solid return on your sale, but you're also paying a huge premium on the new purchase.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Forgot to mention that the other problem is that rental prices are also going through the roof right now, so the gains you made on the sale would be drained pretty quickly if you waited for a market downturn (if it even happens), or for a new place to be built.

Most of the people I know are refinancing and renovating what they have.

20. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, it's a damn shame, all that increased value and it just isn't usable for us. We don't want to relocate to a shithole with a depressed market. We'd just be handing it all back over to move into a comparable with the same monthly payment. I can't make myself believe we'd be better off making a move right now.