Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

#FHRITP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angel_1756, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

We, as a society, don't approve of this ("accept" is kind of a weird word to apply to this). But there's nothing illegal about it, really. That's why the guy got fired and not arrested.

When you're out and partying with your friends, you do something within the context of your friends and the immediate surroundings at the time, not as "society as a whole".

He did that because his friends would have found it funny, so they didn't do anything about it. Just like a bunch of racists or homophones would make fun of someone while with their peer group... we don't accept it, or condone it, but "we" aren't there to provide the immediate feedback that will change that behaviour. All that is shown is the "funny prank" on videos, causing it to spread.

Same shit happens with any "jackass-level stunt"; the milk jug thing, or any other "it's just a prank bro!" shit... stupid people trying to impress their stupid friends... not society "accepting it".

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

This.

For years I dealt with some extreme PTSD from my brain tumor. You know what made it 1000x worse? Work. Because a lady I work with saw my eye drift and made me go see the doctor (saving my life in the process). I had so many horrible experiences at that place both leading up to the diagnosis (passing out and throwing up from migraines, forgetting what I was doing as I was doing it, slurring my words etc.; hello symptoms?) as well as after it (learning that my math abilities were completely gone when I tried to do payroll, getting a concussion because I hadn't re-taught myself how to walk backwards). It sucked, but you know what? I removed myself from the situation, went to work at another location for a while, sought professional help to deal with my issues and now I am actually officed out of the same place where it all went down. Couldn't be happier.

Someone making you feel uncomfortable, "triggering" you, or otherwise doing legal things that result in you having a problem, does not mean that they have a problem. It means you do, and you need to fix it, not them. Everyone deals with shit. Life sucks for a lot of different people in a lot of different ways. Sure, it would be great if life was roses and potpourri but not everyone likes the same smells. Either suck it up and ignore it, or get help.

Shit people, whatever happened to just calling someone an asshole and just moving on with your day?

3. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

No, as a society we do accept it, because generally speaking there are no consequences for acting like an asshole. If for example a law was passed that fined anyone $200 for making a misogynistic (or racist, or homophobic, or whatever) threat in public, that would absolutely be evidence that the collective 'we' believed such behavior was not to be tolerated. No different than getting a ticket for littering. But since there aren't any laws like that in place, it's absolutely tacit approval of acting like that. So I'll ask again. Why is protecting dickish behavior more important than trying to ensure people are treated with dignity?

4. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you honestly don't see how that would be different than getting a ticket for littering, I don't think you are ever going to come to an agreement with the people on the other side of the argument.

And there are already laws against making threats, or menacing, or causing a public disturbance, or being drunk and disorderly. But some really smart guys 200 years ago decided it shouldn't be illegal to be a great big meanie that hurts people's feelings.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And there it is... let's censor things that we "don't like".

As I said, "accept" isn't the right word... "tolerate" is. Why? Because they're really doing nothing wrong other than something that most people don't like. They're aren't hurting anyone, they're just being dicks. And being a dick is everyone's right. Unfortunately. That being said, there probably is some old pedantic bylaw that he could be charged with, if the cops were really pressed to it.

That is a very slippery slope. Freedom of speech, and all that.

Sure, he's able to say that stuff, but he's also reaping the rewards of him doing just that. In this case it's going way further than I think it should, but that's just me. If anything, why are we accepting of this disproportionate reaction to a few words he said as an (albeit really bad) joke?

6. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse

I don't harbor any illusions of changing anyone's mind on the subject. And no, frankly, I don't see all that much of a difference - both are an example of trying to deter objectionable behavior. But that's besides the point, since it was just an example. So I'll ask for the third time: Why do you think culturally and societally we place more value on protecting the right to act like an asshole in public than the idea that people have the right to be treated with dignity?

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I don't think we do.

I also think that we're seeing way more Jackass wannabes that find entertainment and instant glory by being dicks to other people. A large part of social media and television and music glorifies the asshole, so why would it be so surprising that they're becoming more noticeable, especially in the age of social media and the viral video?

Couple that with the fact that I think we're coddling the new breed of PC whiner that gets easily offended over the slightest thing, and demands respect without earning it, and is a little control freak in the "I'm going to tell mom" way, and you've got a situation like you see in that video.

The vast majority of society will respond with a, "oh shut the fuck up" to the chick, and a "don't be a dick" to the guy... but what we're seeing in the media, and the corporations (Hydro One) are responding to are the very vocal very minority out of fear that they will be publicly crucified.

What we REALLY need are people in authority to basically say, "all of you... shut the fuck up and get over it, and how about we focus on shit that really matters."

8. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We don't. We just have vastly different ideas of where the cut-off for tolerance is. Go out to a bar right now, walk up to a woman and yell "You're a fucking whore!" in her face. A lot of people will do something about it. You'll probably get your ass kicked.

All objectionable behavior is not created equal. Some things will get you arrested, others will get you beat up, and some things will get you an eye roll or your buddy saying, "Come on, man. Don't be a dick." The debate comes from the fact that some people have pretty extreme views on what constitutes unacceptable behavior, and a lot of other people are humoring them.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Because curtailing people's ability to express themselves (even if they look like assholes doing it) has a chilling effect whereas if you ask 500 people what "treated with dignity" means you're going to get 500 different answers.

With the former, you are basically legally suppressing a person's natural right to some extent. With the latter, it is not only impossible to reach an objective definition, but even if a definition were reached a legitimate question would still remain as to whether or not it is a right to begin with.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And with this notoriety the reporter is getting over this, call me cynical, but I'm betting her first thought is, "holy crap this is going to be great for my career!" And her producer is probably riding the attention wave like a pro-surfer. So tell me again how she's a victim in all this.

Again, call my a cynic.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Psst, don't look now everyone but:

An actual, intellectual thread is shaping up. Two whole pages without us blaming the racists and the thugs for everything! That's, like, a new record or something!

12. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse

This literally makes no sense to me. How could this possibly help her career? You honestly think she's going to get pity hires or pity promotions out of this? And fuck, if her superiors have the same opinion as you, it's sure as hell not going to help her career.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

You're talking about her, aren't you?

Her job is done.

First half of undergrad I majored in journalism. The wannabe anchorwomen there would have cunt fucked a vuvuzela on live tv if it meant they'd get a few mentions on twitter.

14. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She works in media and is getting a lot of publicity. If the story gets big enough she will be invited onto talk shows and news programs, possibly national shows, and then she will be have those credits on her resume forever. There are a lot of local news reporters whose entire reel is made up of ambushing and harassing people in exactly that tone. And think about how many times that video has been watched. Her studio owns that clip, and I'm sure they'll make a fair profit on it.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Every time Jameis Winston throws a touchdown next season, Shauna Hunt will die a little inside.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm not sure if you're genuinely naive or trolling... but to boil it down, her superiors are pimps, and she's the whore.

The more attention she can bring to her station/employers, the more revenue they make. Period. As soon as they have something local that gets bumped up to National, they've scored big time. That is all they're thinking of. If she were hit by a train and was a mouth-breathing vegetable hooked up to life support, someone somewhere in her studio would be doing the math on how best to exploit it for eyeballs.

17. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    I'm just here to fuck shegirl right in the pussy.

And I mean that in the most threatening way possible.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And with that, her new foundation just sprung a leak, if you know what I mean.

Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Dont worry, we'll get there. I give it 5 pages before we delve into the white male patriarchy.

But I agree that she probably did more for the career than her being offended. But again, if she didnt know about the meme that statement would seem incredibly offensive so I dont blame her for reacting the way she did. The guy was a doofus.

20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's a really slippery slope. On one hand, everybody has done or said something out of character and regretted it. The fact that this guy was hammered certainly doesn't help. I think that in the back of everybody's mind, there is a feeling that one day, you'll be the shithead. I think it's actually a mark in humanity's favor that people object to mob justice. On the other hand, where's the line on giving people a second chance? You can't broad brush things like this because each situation is different, with different people dealing with different circumstances in their lives.

I think the problem here though isn't the determining where the line is crossed. I feel like any functional member of society can look at a situation and say, "yeah, that's fucked up." The issue is what to do with that person after it happens. You can't expect a vocal group of people on social media to actually take a step back and objectively decide if a good person did a bad thing, or a bad person did a bad thing.

Personally, I believe that people are inherently good. I believe that people make mistakes (sometimes a lot of them) and that they can learn from them if given the opportunity. I have a really hard time with a guy losing his job over a drunken mistake that only caused hurt feelings. I could write another rambling post on how fucked up and oppressive outrage culture is, but I think that's another thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.