Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Favorite scents?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sicnevol, Mar 25, 2010.

1. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

doesn't everyone?

2. Nettie

Nettie
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Like most, I prefer vanilla based lotions. Although I have a blackberry vanilla one from B&BW that is awesome as well. Even my perfume that I have to order online (Lutece) has the slight vanilla with it.

Candles, I'm in love with the fresh linen ones. Makes the house smell like you just laundered it.

On guys, I prefer more earthy than anything. Although he's currently wearing Victorinox, which is awesome as well.

3. Ganimedes

Ganimedes
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Man here.

One of my favorite smells is freshly made coffee, not so much because I'm looking forward to the taste (although that's an added boon) but because I have such strong memories connected to it. It reminds me of the early Sunday afternoons of my childhood when my family made an effort to sit down together. We'd switch the various sections of the Sunday paper back and forth, talk about the week that had gone and drink coffee. One whiff of it and I get an instant flashback. It means safety and togetherness for me.

As for smells that I dislike, vanilla is pretty high on the list. It's one of the top warning signs about women when worn as a perfume; it means they're girls, not women. It's simple, plain and comes out of super markets and inevitably the women fit that bill, possibly with an added touch of childishness.

I still remember the German girl that lived across the hall from me when I went as an exchange student to France. We were 14 years old and she'd bring a stuffed animal with her to fuck. Afterwards she'd suck her thumb. She reeked of vanilla.

4. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

-Not just gunpowder in general, but Vihtavuori powder. It's the stuff used in Lapua rimfire ammunition. Smells like victory (literally). Hoppe's #9 is another default for gun owners.

-Walnut dust. My shop reeks of it after I work on walnut riflestocks and I love it. Too bad it's toxic (I have to wear a respirator when I work). Interestingly enough, the smell of green (black) walnuts gives me pounding headaches.

-"Old machine shop" smell. It's the greasy, metallic smell that hits you when you walk into an old tool shop.

-Fresh-cut alfalfa

-Scotch. It tastes good, and I'll be damned if the scent isn't just as good as the taste.

-Really fresh asphalt. I worked for my hometown's street department for a summer. Somehow, after hucking hundreds of tons of the shit, I like the smell.

-Ely, Minnesota. The town has an aroma that is a perfect blend of diesel fumes and the coniferous forest that surrounds it. The only thing I can really relate it to is the smell that you get by stuffing an entire spruce or cedar tree into a brush chipper.

5. Spacesatan

Spacesatan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

That's a great smell. I think it's part of the reason I bought so many Magic cards.

Other good ones:
    Coffee
    Vanilla
    Cinnamon rolls
    Waffle cones being made
    Bakeries
    Anything being cooked in butter
    Gardens and healthy earth
    Acoustic guitars, especially classical ones
    The ocean.

The worst:
    Artificial strawberry or grape scent
    Durian

Aaaaand, I'm a man.

6. Benny

Benny
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm a guy.

Tigi makes a shampoo and conditioner my wife uses that smells like Oatmeal and Honey. It is the best smelling stuff on earth.

7. jordan_paul

jordan_paul
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Im a guy.

The smells I like the most is a fresh shit spread field, Hoppes #9, Cam 2 Racing Fuel and the smell after you cut down a few trees, just the smell of the sawdust, bar oil and 2 stroke fumes reminds me of home.

8. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bacon frying in the pan, Ozone before the storm, vanilla, Smoldering wood, Burning paper, Oil after a service. And I almost forgot but cracking a Bundy rum stubby and the rum vapour that comes out the top straight after is almost enough to make me lose my shit, I love that stuff.

9. LadyLecter

LadyLecter
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm a girl.

Vanilla (pretty much all of my lotions and perfumes are vanilla)
    Leather jackets
    Snow (not snow itself, but that smell that the air gets right before it's going to snow)
    The morning after a spring rainstorm
    Pipe tobacco (reminds me of my great-grandfather in his rocking chair telling me stories when I was a kid)
    New Car
    Eucalyptus - Specifically - I lived in California for a few years when I was younger and our house had eucalyptus trees all around it. When it rained at night, the next morning the air just smelled like rain and eucalyptus. It was a great smell.
    Campfires
    Bread baking
    the smell of cooking garlic

There is also this great aromatherapy oil that my step-father burns in his yoga studio called Egyptian Musk that smells fantastic. Kind of like cinnamon-apple but with some more exotic spice in there. It makes me feel so relaxed.

10. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The cheap ass, fake version of Calvin Klein's Obsession (or the real thing) always makes me think of a girlfriend I had at 16 or so. A cheerleader with body issues (is there any other kind?) that I met at church camp and dated long distance for several months. Back before email was common, we sent letters every week or so.

Anyway, that was the scent I was wearing at the time, and when we left camp, she asked me for a shirt drenched in that scent, so she could sleep with it.

Ah, Tiffany Cruze. Such a hot mess.

11. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

Guy here, nearly all of these have been mentioned because they smell damn good:

burning wood/campfires
    gunpowder
    the ocean
    white gas/gasoline/diesel/napalm
    whisky
    pine
    leather
    fresh tobacco

12. OBY

OBY
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I am a guy

Tire stores, home depot (any other home improvement store), Cigar shops, cigarette when first lit hate the smell after, new cars, leather jackets, the little bbq stand next to my work.. Fresh rain on pavement and of course vanilla. My list is huge and didn't mention them all.

13. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm male. When it comes to the smell on other girls I just like the typical fruity soap and perfume smells. I don't have a particular favorite. I just like girls that smell like they should.

As for other smells I like

Burnt matches
    Burning cigarettes
    Smell after the rain in summer
    Fresh cut grass
    Cooking pizza

That's all I can come up with for now.

edit: Shaving cream

14. tntnikki

tntnikki
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Other people's tears.

15. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Scott Tennerman, in particular, though the taste is better than the smell...

16. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bullwhips and branding irons smell like tears?

17. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, those smell like illicit fun.

18. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is very important to me; while I do like the smell of gasoline, uncatalyzed gasoline exhaust fumes just rock my world. And yes, some of that factor is probably because they are getting me a little high as I'm breathing them.
    I can tell if a (gasoline burning) car has catalytic converters or not just by the smell of the exhaust fumes or if it's running rich/lean/has a badly misfiring cylinder.
    Same thing with gunpowder; it doesn't have an overpowering smell that hits you in the face when it hasn't been burned, but after it has, oh baby. I 'll take out a freshly fired shotgun shell, put it to my nose and inhale, and my eyes roll back in my head a little bit.
    Also, like Zyron said, I love the smell of good weed (before it has been burned/smoked!).
    Even though I haven't smoked marijuana for years, whenever one of my friends scores, I always ask to smell the goods.
    However, once they spark up, I leave the room because I don't want that smell on me.

Edit: As far as smells on women go, THE LESS PERFUME SHE IS WEARING THE BETTER!!!
    As long as she has decent personal hygeine, I'm cool.
    FUCK YOU ADVERTISING INDUSTRY FOR MAKING WOMEN THINK THAT THEY ARE SOCIAL LEPERS IF THEY AREN'T WEARING "X" FRAGRANCE.There are few things as off-putting as when you start kissing on a woman's neck, and you are greeted by the bitter flavor of whatever stink-cover she is wearing.
    I mean really, kissing on a woman's neck is the easiest way to get a girl from "We're only going to make-out," to "give me that throbbing meat cannon NOW!"

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Grass after a rain shower.
    Open flame barbecue smell. I have propane, but that one stands out.
    Pot. It (reasonably) irritates many, but I find it to be the freshest, cleanest smell in the world.
    New car smell. I've loved it since I was a kid.
    Pine.
    Campfire. Absolute vapourized sex.
    Sweet fruit smell on a woman. Purrrrrrrrrr.
    Cigars. Good, imported ones have a smooth musk.
    All those amazing smells that hit you when you go to the ballpark or a when you hit the footbal tailgate.

20. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That wet salty slightly fishy smell that you can even feel in the air from the ocean.

I would totally buy into Kramer's "The Ocean" perfume.