Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Falling Skies

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Aug 10, 2011.

1. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Season 3 should be called "The season where the writers stopped giving a shit". Did they get a new showrunner, or a whole new writing staff or something? The quality of the writing this season is for shit. The characters are doing shit with no clear motive, doing things that are out of character. Mason and Pope just suddenly start brawling in the woods and go into a West Side Story style knife fight crouch while trying to hide from the skitters after a plane crash? All because Pope played an adolescent joke on Mason? Lourdice seems to be loving having eye-bugs all over her face like it's a goddamned seaweed facial. Moon Bloodgood has barely been in it, and she looked like shit while she was (Is she pregnant in real life? If so, she is NOT one of those "glowing" pregnant ladies). The only people that can act for shit are Noah Wylie, the chick that plays Maggie, and maybe the kid playing Hal. The guy that plays Weaver plays exactly the same character no matter what he's in. That's not acting.

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I really cannot believe with an impending alien invasion of the little slice of humanity they have left Pope is staging a work stoppage because they want to move their "claimed" territory. Lourdice is the mole, and she has been doing mole-y things this entire time. Like placing the first aid kit into the plane for no reason, saying there was nothing wrong with Hal during scans AND saying nothing was wrong with Anne's baby. The fact she ran out into the nothingness to "save" her baby was fucking retarded. I get mothers needs and all, but as soon as she found out her baby was alien, I have a feeling that would override her mother's love automatically. Yeah, this season has sucked balls, especially after how season 1 ended strong as fuck, and season 2 was even better. Hopefully they close strong before they completely fuck up this great opportunity they have.

3. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I also was really thrown off by how the season even started. Suddenly he's president of the new United States? It took me at least two episodes to adjust because things felt off in general. I hate that they seem to have skipped over so much back story. It feels like a whole season is missing. And Anne drugging Lourdice felt totally out of character and forced along with her running off with the baby. I literally exclaimed, "What the fuck?!" when I saw that happening. It feels like they keep jumping and rushing through elements of the stories they could be basing half a season off of. Yeah, as much as I really love this show the writing has definitely deteriorated.

4. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This episode was better, but they could have committed to their idea and had a lot of fun with it. They bailed on it halfway through to involve a lot more people, but it was fun. I wouldn't be against 2-3 of these episodes a season just to fuck with the viewers and keep us off balance. Two episodes left, wanting to see what they're going to close the season with. They did a lot of fucking nothing in this season, hopefully they can close it right. Basically they built a memorial tree and got the president killed.

5. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As much as I love and am invested in this show, mostly because of the first two seasons, I honestly don't know why people are saying this show is so well written and, according to Entertainment Weekly, "much improved." There are far more problems with it than good things.

Not only is the season too damn short and there is too long a wait between them, but the writing this season has been choppy and sloppy. There was all this build up to the "big battle" and it lasted for what, 1 minute of screen time, maybe 2? The characters and stories are becoming cliche, boring, and repetitive.

Something with it just doesn't feel right. The pacing always seems rushed and there is a real lack of character development. This show could be SO much better than it is if they would just add a few more episodes per season and slow the fuck down. Try telling an actual story once in a while. How about some more flashback episodes showing more of the characters lives before the war? How about building the action more slowly and not falling through on the major events? I don't understand broadcast TV these days. It's really becoming a let down to get involved in any show. I don't even bother watching anything on ABC anymore. Every show on that station in the last 5 years that I've gotten involved in was canceled after the first season. Most of them were really really good too.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well I think they just need to flesh out the things to make more sense of people's motivations and try to think of things that would actually cause people to take action. Pope's rebelliousness for the sake of rebelling in the middle of an alien war where he could easily die without help is silly.

This show is could be great, but for some reason it never gets there. It has writing vets of BSG and Lost, it should be there. This last episode was great except for the whole thing with Cochise. They made it seem like he went against his father, which would have been interesting, but then it didn't. They still tried to execute this weird "Get out of here and go before you get caught." Vibe that didn't make any sense.

Also the creepy daughter thing is fucking creepy. That's something interesting to watch and enjoy. The fact they're going to be moving and shaking next week. Anytime there are these action shows, it always gets antsy when they get bogged down in one location. They have goals for next year, find more resistance movements, find the President's people.

Also, one of the reviews I read thinks Jeannie is going to be the next mole due to the looks she kept giving Lourdes.

7. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

So this thing's started up again. Just finished watching the first episode of the fourth season. It sucked balls. About 95% of it was pure exposition, but it did set up some plot points that could turn out okay for the rest of the season. I'll give the next few episodes a try and see where they take it.

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm all caught up and god this story is all over the place, then again I can't stop fucking watching. I really like shows, as stupid as this one is doing it, where the "bad guys" are afraid of even bigger "bad guys". It's odd that Vohm haven't mentioned them, like one of the questions I would have asked Cochise is "How many alien races are there still active and doing shit?"

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

This season feels weird.

Sure, up until now, it's been a light hearted, cheesy b-at-best sci-fi romp full of cliches and tropes, and I can get into that.

But this season feels like all the retard writers that weren't off writing pilots were given the task to start the season, proceeded to send things in a really bizarre direction early on, only to have the seasoned writers come back and try and sort shit out late in the game.

I mean, what the hell was that dream sequence that ended last week's episode? WTF? "Let me just grab a handful of dirt, squeeze it until it compresses enough to catch on fire, and then alien-Skype with some other dude in dreamland."

And then the Colonel's daughter is found and killed off almost as an afterthought, which made it feel like "well, this story arc isn't going for shit, how do we kill it as quickly as we can?"

Now we've got the Chief from Battlestar Galactica coming on the scene.
    Aaaaand... he's gone.

And I love how the Goldman Sach's dude was portrayed as a post-apocolyptic piece of shit.

And this week's cliffhanger:

The alien is my father.

It's like a bunch of fired soap opera writers got brought into the series, sat around drinking a shit ton of Mezcal, and talked all kinds of shit about the writers of Lost... "We can write that shit just as good as them..."

I used to really like this show, and looked forward to watching every episode as soon as it became available. Now, not so much. I'll save them once they're aired, and if I'm really bored, work up the energy to watch it, and hope I don't get let down too much. It's been a losing proposition so far this season.

10. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

i'm damn near about to give up on this show except there really isn't much on that i want to watch. in a few weeks shit gets good, but this whole fucking family thing is so goddamn tired. "but but family! she might be mutated by aliens, share none of our dna, but because we think she's ours and we've had her for a year she is family. we can't kill her even though she can kill all of us in a blink but she won't because family." it is absolutely ridiculous.

11. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not that anyone cares besides me and Nettdata, but god I cannot wait until this show is over next year. I can't give up on it, because now I'm pot committed but can't wait for this shit to be over.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I haven't even watched the last 4 episodes yet... waiting for a shitty rainy day when there's nothing to do but nap on the couch and fade in and out of consciousness watching that crap.

13. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think I have the last 8 or something saved up. Last I saw was when Moon Bloodgood met up with the peroxided hippy chick at the zen commune. I might just be done. It's gotten so god damned dumb.

14. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It rescues itself a little towards the end.

15. Bob the Builder

Bob the Builder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I just binge-watched all four seasons on Amazon Prime. After having a giant erection for most of seasons 1 & 2, things got so bad I was skipping through most of the episodes just trying to make it to the end. Seasons 3 & 4 were complete shitshows. This show could have, and should have, been epic but goddamn are these writers smoking crack.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"BUT HE'S MY SON!"
    "BUT HE'S MY DAD!"
    "BUT HE'S MY BROTHER!"
    "BUT SHE'S MY DAUGHTER!"
    "BUT THEY ARE FAMILY"

Any time a familiar reference is made in this show. Drink. You'll make it through a bottle or 12 pack, unless they're focusing on Pope for whatever reason.