Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Faking it til you make it (now with MOAR college entrance exams)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Mar 4, 2019.

1. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A lot of distance learning programs are just as much as the resident programs at those same schools. You can get an online mba from a reputable school and pay out your ass if you’d like.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven’t checked Twitter but have any of the Democrats running for president come out claimed this is why college should be free for everyone? I can also see the republicans trying to make political hay with the academic leftist elitism they are fond of stoking.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

University is highway robbery at its most opportunistic and sleazy. Something HAS to be done about that. Schools and their heads keep getting richer and richer, while students get deeper in debt before they even enter the real world.

Nobody deserves to make millions a year sitting in a comfortable office doing a fucking administration job. How the fuck they came up with the pay grades for some of these people is beyond me. You’d think they were curing cancer, when in actuality they’re causing it.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Bernie is the only one saying this. I do enjoy how they turn the desire to further education as an elitist endeavor. Whereas that whole party functions on abject anti-intellectualism.
    But this thread might not be the place for the topic.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will use this opportunity to point out that the highest paid official in nearly every state is the university football coach.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Republicans lost the battle for the heart of academia a long time ago. There might be some fields within the college world that conservatives gravitate towards but it’s not the administration and social sciences that have muscled its way to the face of US Academics that wield the actual influence. Them combating the social science ivory tower types is far from anti intellectualism.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It was basketball in CT, but the same principle applies. When I was in college, this guy was treated as a god by the students and the entire administration.

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Highest paid public employee. It's either football coach, basketball coach, or dean of the state medical school/college president.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would much rather the Colleges are raping people, lining their pockets, ridiculously overpriced, too powerful, self-congratulating overstuffed assholes bubble to burst. But, if takes the loan bubble to go first, I'm fine with that.

Dorito?

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So Im assuming to hang out on mega yachts you have to fuck the owner of said yacht right?

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Umm, yeah. If not that means she’s a huge bitch. Same goes for when you go away for the weekend and he pays for everything.

15. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Gee... ya think? Sorry, but not sorry. I think it's a perfectly natural response by people, and yeah, you should feel bad, embarrassed, and leave.

What do they expect, a hug?

Personally I think that the parents who are found guilty should pay full ride tuition for a whack of kids who didn't get into the school.

And I really want to see the schools get hit with this as well. They have become exploitative of students. "Hi, welcome to your first year of university... here, have a new credit card, $100k student loan, but no, you can't drink."

There's a reasons the big finance companies lobbied (successfully) to make student loans very difficult to discharge in bankruptcy... it's a license for schools to print money.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They will be lucky to do anything of substance. They knew they weren't on the crew team. This whole thing wasn't like stealing food or something with a momentary lapse in judgement. This speaks to a much greater moral failing that jobs or other schools won't overlook. They're lucky daddy is made of money because mommy's little Hallmark movies won't keep paying the bills.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think youd be shocked how much that pays. Then again federal charges could wipe out a decent amount of wealth. It's a strong arm tactic the DoJ uses to get people to flip.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I was willing to give to some of the students of these parents somewhat of a break until yesterday. My coworker and I were talking about during lunch at some girl next to us overhears and interjects, she was a first year student at one of the schools involved. In no uncertain terms she thinks the kids should be expelled or at least should be forced to start over as freshmen and reapply. She said that the students at her school are pretty bitter over it, and I dont blame them.

I think the fact that these are obvious moral failings are not so obvious to the people involved. These are scumbags that dont care about playing fair. They care about cheating the system to get ahead, and then have the ego to act blasé about the whole thing. Fuck them. I hope they get made an example of.

If there was ever a clear-cut example where the social justice lynch mobs are 100% warranted, I think this is it.