Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Faking it til you make it (now with MOAR college entrance exams)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I’m guessing it’s because he was awesome in Fargo.

These rich fucks need to be burned at the stake. As if actors weren’t fake enough already. Maybe this will help Will Smith’s kids realize that they suck at life.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Isn’t it lovely, to win the Lucky Sperm Lotto? Your folks will buy your tuition, your grades, your fucking IQ and social status itself. So maybe people will finally realize: celebrities of children aren’t prodigies: they’re just the lucky asshole offspring of other lucky assholes.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It’s not nearly this overt, but this is essentially how Harvard operates too. About 60% of the kids that go there are from very rich families or legacies. 30% are from impoverished backgrounds and 10% are somewhere in between. But that 60% is a major reason why the school has an endowment of over $1 Billion.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well this aged poorly...

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Also....are we all going to just sit here and accept that only fifty people did this... and everything else is legit? This is a wake-up call. Good job on nailing these assholes, now spread this investigation out wider. Get them all.

I think I speak for anybody on here with a post-secondary degree when I say this is a giant insult to everyone who busted their ass, paid out the ass, and persevered over a chunk of their life to earn that thirty thousand dollar wall decoration.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I am scooping my eyes out with spoons watching this. Somebody add the score of “Curb Your Enthusuasm” already.

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Question: is there a good possibility that their degrees/diplomas could be negated for this? Because they honestly should be. It wasn’t earned.

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean I don’t think that would be right. Unless there is proof the kids were knowledgeable of or involved in the cheating.

I would also do a deeper dive of each of the kids’ grades to see if those were even achieved legitimately.

There could be a goldmine of fuckery waiting to be uncovered.

11. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Would it really be that damaging to the kids to lose their degrees, though? Especially the ones whose parents are CEOs, Investment Fund Managers, etc.?

Chances are that they have some bs vp title at their parents' company and are in charge of literally nothing.

#31 bebop007, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

So in other words, they’ve worked at virtually every company I’ve ever been employed by.

13. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wannabe rich trash are dumb.

You don’t bribe colleges with several thousand dollars. You bribe them with a new administration building.

One works, one gets you indicted. Don’t play the game if you can’t afford it.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What sort of fuckery? Come on. You mean, you didn't go to the Bahamas over Spring break, on the yacht of your college's Chairman of the Board of Trustees?
    https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/13/lori...ivia-yacht-usc-board-of-trustees-rick-caruso/

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

*Weeps silently.*

This would be a good (or terrible) time for that student loan bubble to burst. You know, that special kind of debt that cant be discharged through filing for bankruptcy.

16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know. 30k is a cute number. Many grad degrees end up being at least twice that. A top school MBA is routinely over $100k.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah, I thought debt was bad during undergrad. My masters was a 1 year program and cost almost 50k. Wanna guess how much of that I actually use professionally? It rhymes with zero.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mine will cost about 60 when all is said and done. 2 year program done in August. But I do use the skills and knowledge in my actual job. I feel it is beneficial. And the network established through the school is quite valuable here in Texas.

I’m glad I went to a more basic school for undergrad and took on no debt. I was lucky. I don’t feel undergrad matters as much unless it’s a very highly rated school. My cousin tried getting me to apply to Swarthmore for undergrad because he said it was a good reputable school. I would have been the poorest kid in that college by a long shot. And saddled with undergrad debt. Fuck that.

19. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All this school debt talk actually makes me happy I went to a rinky dink buttfuck nowhere school for my undergrad/master's. I think my grad program was maybe 10k total and I more or less just paid costs as they came up.

My fiancee is a librarian and it's staggering how much people will pay to eventually become one. She always tries to convince her friends to do distance learning, like she did, which was significantly cheaper. However, they all want to go to the super expensive private school just outside of Chicago............cause you get the classroom experience there unlike distance learning. It's depressing. Most of these people will probably either never pay it off or only pay it off closer to retirement.

20. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Part of me wonders how much of this is schadenfreude (dear Christ, how did spell check accomplish that?)? Another part of me is amazed at how the myths behind the rich and famous seem to be deteriorating in the age of Trump.
    These parents could have afforded the best schools, tutors, literally anything and they deliberately chose to lie and cheat the process (to a fucking astounding extent). Why? Because forcing your kids to learn shit would require you to actually parent, and they didn't think they'd get caught.

The meritocracy is dead, long live the Cuntogarchy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...-bribe-scandal-about-class-inequality/584797/

Maybe the correct response from the college is to charge them tuition twice: once for them, and once for the kid whose spot they took. Can't pay, can't stay.

Anyone else remember the admissions scandal around Asian students a while back? It's almost like...hm...this process isn't totally fair...

It wouldn't be such a big deal if there was a clear path to a stable, middle class career. When you think about it, it's kind of mind-boggling: to get a decent job, we tell 16 year olds to do a stupid amount of shit, from wrestling to saxophone, that they will never do again. Then they go into levels of debt that they wouldn't be permitted for any other purchase (house, car, etc.), for many of them to get drunk and confused for four years. Then they get a degree, which generally speaking doesn't prepare them for shit, it only mildly suggest they are trainable. The marketing of these universities is so great, that companies will only select to train from a few of the top ones, even though chances are the difference between any given set of 21 year olds isn't that pronounced.

I'm hiring someone now and it's just ridiculous to think "what kinds of financial decisions did you make as a teenager about where you'd get drunk and high for four years?" is somehow part of this process.