Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Fake Top Gear

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, May 29, 2016.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

So the new season of Top Gear just hit the intarwebs, and I'm about to watch it.

I refuse to consider it the REAL Top Gear because without the 3 stooges it's just... not.

I like Matt LeBlanc, and fucking LOVE Sabine, but couldn't give a shit less about Chris Evans.

I'll watch it (albeit out of morbid curiosity, in the same way you can't not look at a train wreck), but part of me is really hoping that it just fucking bombs in a huge way as a big "fuck you" to the morons at the BBC that killed a good thing.

2. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Does anyone like this smug asshole? Because what you just said is what everyone's been saying about him.

3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I may attempt to watch it but from everything I've read I'll most likely wait for Hammond, Clarkston and May to return.

This show will bomb so hard the BBC will wish they never bothered trying to keep it going.

I really wish the Amazon show would have stuck with Gear Knobs, although I think they were forbidden from using "Gear" in the title.

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

And here you go:

tg2.png

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

My friend is a die-hard for this show, he is MAJOR pissed off about the reboot. He "likes Matt LeBlanc, and nothing else at all".

I don't know the show that well-- I know it for its breathtaking cinematography and incredible host chemistry, and is THE car show for this planet. So I understand why they (the fans) are pissed. I don't know why anybody wouldn't want to have a show without James May. Guy kills me:

image.jpeg

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just finished watching the show, and it's beyond lame.

They are trying way, way too hard to duplicate the last show... right down the the "in the world" and other well-known phrases.

They needed to come out with their own show, their own schtick, and not only make it, but own it. Instead they're trying to duplicate what was going on before, and they just can't.

I will say I love watching Sabine drive, and Matt is a good presenter with some actual stage presence, but the rest is just... not good.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

There's no chemistry, at all. They are trying to drop us into a scenario where they want us to think that there is some great chemistry and synergy amongst the hosts, when it's obvious it's scripted and forced.

I think they would have done way better to basically start the hosts off fresh, like they were just meeting, and let them riff and develop that chemistry organically as the show went on.

9. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I made it about 1/2 of the way in, it isn't a good show, everything feels forced.

I won't be watching it again, if I want Top Gear I'll watch old episodes.

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it as bad as the American Top Gear?

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

In some ways, it's worse, because they're trying to copy the formula of the previous guys. It's like they're treating it like they just swapped out one of the presenters and not all three.

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

If you haven't done so yet, there is a torrent out there with all 17 seasons of the real TG. Obviously, it's a bit of a big file (72G), but well worth it if you're a fan.

13. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Ugh, I don't know why shows try to pull this shit; it never works. The only way new Top Gear is going to work is if the hosts build their relationships organically.

14. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been watching the reboot and while it's clearly not on the level as the origional I like Sabine and Matt and think Rory Reid & Chris Harris have potential if given time to develop chemistry. However Chris Evans reminds me of that not very popular kid who has all the cool toys who's always desperately asking the other kids to come over and play with his toys so they'd think he's cool too. He just comes across as annoying and uninteresting. I'm curious how much truth there is to LeBlanc saying he will leave if Evans stays: http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/27/matt-leblanc-threatens-quit-top-gear/

Personally, I think a massive improvement would be to drop Evans, give Sabine, Rory, & Harris more screen time with Matt. Then it's just a matter of whether or not the BBC will give them enough time to develop their chemistry and make the show their own.

The episode's have had potential, but it's squashed by Evan's overbearing. I love that Sabine made a Top Gun pilot throw up in the first episode and Evans puke in another.

17. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

18. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Still haven't watched an episode, although I watched a few clips with Evans and all he did was yell at the camera, hopefully the show improves in his absence.

A few years down the road is bet it comes out that he was hired to take all the flack for the first year to set the show up for its new second season. Just a guess.

I binged the original Top Gear specials over the weekend when I had baby duty, I don't care if most of it is scripted, you will have a hard time duplicating the chemistry between Clarkston, Hammond and May.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I don't think the BBC is that smart. I think they literally saw one of their talents who had a ton of cars and was enthusiastic and put him in as the main host with a "why wouldn't everyone love him?" attitude.

They have no fucking clue about what makes that show work.

20. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like for once I called it: