Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Fake and Bake

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stealth, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alt. Focus: Discuss the tanning salon phenomenon. It's only expanding.

Not in Australia its not. Particularly after the death of Clare Oliver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_Oliver

Alot of women in Australia still do the spray tan thing and the tan cream thing with varying results.
    Some good , some bad , some bloody awfull.

The Australian sun in summer is brutal to the skin (Australia has one of the highest incidences of skin cancer in the world, at nearly four times the rates in Canada, the US and the UK.)

Last summer it took me some searching to find sunscreen of 15+ , nearly all sunscreens here are 30+

2. thevoice

thevoice
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I am half British, half Canadian and distinctly white.

However during the summer I am the envy of girls and guys alike because I tan fast and I tan dark.

I have never used Fake and Bake, nor will I. My reason:

[​IMG]

Anybody remember Big Leaguer Marty Cordova? He missed time because he fell asleep in a tanning booth and burnt himself bad.

All joking aside though:

I don't use tanning beds because I don't need to. I know many girls who'll use a tanning bed during the winter to keep their color, but some have taken it to the extreme. It's all too fitting that the Jersey Shore season premiere is tonight:

[​IMG]

3. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used fake-tanner as a teenager because my skin is really fair and I get sunburned a lot easier than I tan. I have never set foot inside a tanning both, or even an establishment where one is. I had two roommates who would go every couple of weeks, and I would give them a ride. I'd drop them off in front of the place, then come back in an hour. My one roommate was naturally dark, but insisted on going to the tanning salon so she could be darker.

4. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: I am outside enough to have a killer (farmer's) tan. Screw beds, I've got the sun!

Anti-focus: It disappoints me to see lot of otherwise attractive women in my generation that will wind up 10 years down the road with skin that closely resembles poorly tanned leather. Snooki? She'll look like a deflated version of the Michelin Man that got set on fire. I cannot imagine how much skin cancer rates will rise in the coming years. Girls that talk (and brag) about how they are practically addicted to tanning are automatically branded as dumbasses in my mind.

We've all seen those older women on beaches that have been out there for decades and look like hell. My girlfriend? Pale. Pale enough to lack the ability to tan (and she's blonde and blue eyed- same as me). You could lose her in a snowstorm, but I don't need to worry about her skin staying soft and supple in a few years. That and she doesn't have those goofy tan lines around her eyes and ass.

5. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In the 3-4 months before I graduated I was a compulsive tanning bed user. I would go three times a week for 20 minutes at a time in an effort to get as naturally dark as I was in Cuba when I bought my grad dress. Looking back at the pictures I think I look ridiculous, so I now opt for a natural tan.

6. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would go a couple times before a vacation so I had a base tan before arriving in Mexico, Jamaica, South Beach, ect..., I hated it as well. I always made it a point to tell the girls at Hollywood tan I was going on a trip.

My crew went to South Beach a couple years ago and so a few of us went tanning ( as if a guy going to the tanning bed wasn't gay, showing up three at a time is absolutely gay) anyway we were in one of the stand up booths. When we got out (no we were not in the same booth Freebis, I'm not giving you a layup like that) I looked over at my friend who seemed to be in an extreme hurry. I put my shoes on and as we exited the place I asked what was wrong, he told me that standing there so long made him bored so he had jerked off! My other buddy had done the SAME thing. Later than night at the bar I began asking guys, first to admit that they had tanned before, secondly more than half of them had JERKED OFF IN THE BOOTH!!!

The spray makes you look orange, the booth can look natural but the way your body smells after being in the casket makes me nervous. Plus as you can see in my post all the gross sweat and bodily shit that secretes in the booth, men masturbate in it.

Just Don't Do it. It's the anti-Nike slogan, Just Don't Do It.

7. MainEvent007

MainEvent007
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Can someone who actually knows something about this explain it to me? I hate this fake tan shit with a passion, although as long as I'm not planning to spend the rest of my life with the girl, I think a very moderate amount of it can look good, but I have tons of friends (both guys and girls) who swear by the "base tan" idea. That makes no sense to me at all. If you're getting X tan before you go somewhere, wouldn't you have just gotten the same amount of tan once you get there and then keep getting tanner?

8. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I find tanning fascinating on the same anthropological scale as monkeys picking ticks off each other and eating them.

I was born with one so I have never once applied sunscreen or went to 'lay out'. When people bitch about sunburn I cannot sympathize with them due to my 1 obvious point of genetic superiority. It looks like it sucks. But seriously, popcorn in hand watching this thread.

9. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm currently working night shifts at a bar in Greece, becuase of this I sleep all day and combined with my Irish skin, I'm pretty pale. People often comment on it, becuase here most tourists have got some sort of a tan. However, in all honesty, I don't care. Any lad who is concerned about how 'tanned' they are is a puff.

10. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I went to the tanning beds (not spray) to get a base tan before I went to Spring Break in Aruba this year, and I'm glad I did, since it absolutely saved my trip. The sun is SO strong down there (11 degrees above the equator, 100 degrees every day we were there. I burned my arm one morning by having it out the window on a 15 minute car ride, for an example) that sunscreen is absolutely required and you can't get it in varieties less than 30 SPF. Going from a light colored skin from a Maine winter to a hot as hell tropical paradise definitely warranted the prep I gave my skin, and the others that didn't tan ahead of time paid the price with nasty sunburns despite using sunscreen.

The base tan that you get gives your skin another defense against the strong sun. I didn't like going to the tanning beds, but I didn't like the idea of dropping big coin to be unhappily sunburned all vacation even worse.

11. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

you get it before you go, so you dont burn the shit out of your body when it hits the sun for the first time.

I'm not sure what is worse, having a third degree sunburn, or knowing how gay you are for attending the tanning bed.

12. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I tried the fake and bake tanning about a year or so ago. The over priced gym I used to go to had the tanning booths so I figured it would be convenient enough. I got a decent tan, but sometimes I ended up looking like a fucking racoon because the areas around my eyes would not get much exposure and my cheeks would get overly red. Soon enough, I said the hell with it.

I'm sporting a decent farmer's tan this summer, makes me a little hestitant when it comes to going to the beach or swimming around females but I'm not going back to wasting the time nor money on getting oranged up.

13. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fixed that for you. God I can't wait for the return of GTL tonight. We're having a Jersey Shore Party. WWWWWWWWWWWHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

14. LatinGroove

LatinGroove
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is one of the few perks of being a Latino. I've got a natural caramel/bronze color so don't have to worry about the shit you guys have to worry about.

If you're so worried about looking good, just take your ass outside to jog in the afternoon and kill two birds with one stone.

15. Viking33

Viking33
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Fixed that for you.

16. OBY

OBY
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Here in Oregon, they just passed a 10% tax on tanning (Salons).

I find tanning beds sort of creepy. Feels weird laying mostly naked where previously someone else was doing the same. The buzz of the lights are irritating and laying there is really boring. Laying outside is far superior.

17. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Short shorts will always be for the gays.

What does this have to do with tanning?

18. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mostly naked? Fuck, I go in naked everytime. If I wear anything, it's a tube sock.

I'll admit it, I go tanning here and there during the winter. I get pretty tan during the summer, and it's nice to keep a little base color. I'm saying I go once every week and a half, and it's just enough to keep me with some color. The only time I'll go hardcore with a tanning bed is right before a big trip (for example, I'll start tanning in October for a trip to Miami I have in November).

Everyone rags on girls who fake bake. Personally, I think a little tan is far hotter than not. I'm not talking about going over board oompa loompa style, but the tan skinned look is much better than the pale white look. I guess this goes to my preference on my women too: long dark hair with a little bit of tan.

19. Judas

Judas
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I believe he was attempting to convey that farmers tans are faggy. I tend to disagree...it means you have spent time outside while not looking like a douche with his shirt off. I can't stand when I am playing basketball on a court outside and everyone has their shirts on, and then a guy rolls up with his shirt off and starts to play. Rubbing sweaty bodies with a man on a court doesn't make it any less gay than rubbing sweaty bodies with a man in bed. This applies to MMA as well (yeah. I said it).

I have never gone to a tanning bed place and neither have any of my friends to my knowledge. I feel like they make a profit off of people who are insecure with their bodies, and have this mental self image of an extremely attractive tan person (cough, Jessica Alba) and want to be like that. I usually tan over the summer by going to the beach and putting on sunscreen the first day or two until I get a decent enough tan, or I just head to the pool and hang out there for a few days before hand and then I am sunburn free for the rest of the summer. Barring 6+ hours in the sun without sunscreen I can go for awhile until I burn.

20. no use for a name

no use for a name
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I think girls look much hotter with a tan, either from a bed or the sun. That being said, I've always discouraged my girlfriend from going (she dances around the idea occasionally in the winter, but almost never goes) because it will probably make her look like a reptile later in life. Luckily we spend a lot of time on the beach so she gets her tan anyway. She also has an olive skin tone and incredibly sexy genetics (she's totally white, but you can tell she has an interesting ethnic mix), so she keeps great natural color in the winter as well.

As far as dudes go...Tanning beds are gay. I've had two friends admit to using a tanning salon as a means to acheiving a "base tan" before going on surfing trips south of the border. And they were ridiculed without mercy. For the first couple days in the sun with a pale body just load up heavy on the SPF 50, and repeat every couple hours. Then gradually ween yourself down to an SPF 30 twice a day if you're on the beach for a long time (or in the sun period), and then just apply SPF 30 when you initially get into the sun. Most people can even drop to an SPF 15, but I'm Irish and naturally pale, so I stick to the 30 once a day. You gradually, and safely, build a natural looking and healthy tan without all the gayness of tanning beds and the risks of sunburn, excessive UV exposure, etc. from baking in the sun.

I'm a naturally pale Irish kid, but every summer I end up with a dark and healthy tan without getting sunburned or turning my balls over to the chick working at the tanning salon.