Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Eye of the Tiger

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Nov 29, 2010.

1. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Depends on if it's something I care about or not. It's one thing if it's a friendly game of basketball. I'll play at the same intensity as everyone else, won't call any fouls, travels, and will be calm and gracious the whole time. It's because I don't care about being good at it.

But if it's something I am serious about, I will try my hardest to win, raising my level of concentration to the highest degree I'm capable of, spending hours upon hours training/studying it in my free time, and never, ever "go easy" on anyone. My approach is that if I'm going to do something, I had better be really good at it. Doesn't matter what it is, as long as I'm investing time in it. My goal as a kid was even to crush the opposition in head-to-head contests so badly they wouldn't to compete anymore, and in other contests, beat their results consistently, again and again, until they knew I was better.

Sports, academics (especially math), street fights, chess (I was one of the top 15 in the US for my age as a teenager), whatever.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine introduced me to an online card game called Spectromancer, with about 10k people playing at the time. I thought it was a really neat strategy game, but started out as a fairly mediocre player, making weak moves. After hundreds of hours playing online, thinking about it, and discussing strategies with a few like-minded people, I cracked the top 10 players in the world. Nerdy? Sure. But I cared about it and wanted to be among the best.

Obviously, it can't go that way for everything; I was a lousy poker player, and simply decided to quit after a few months of playing (made money overall, but not much). But in that case, I didn't really have that love and passion in the first place; I thought the game was boring as shit, but a way to make money from rubes.

So if there is something I enjoy and want to invest time in, you had better believe I am going to be very "competitive" about it. I don't really understand how anyone can have a different mindset, unless there's nothing they truly love, or they're too scared of looking poor compared to others.

2. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It depends on my competition. If their is a loud mouth asshole on the other team you can guarantee I am going to play my guts out to shut him down. However if everyone else stays tame I usually follow suit.

The sport I played the longest and went furthest with was baseball. I definitely was not horribly competitive with it. As long as my average and numbers were solid I was pretty content, not the best attitude but it kind of came with the sport.

Anyone who has done jiu-jitsu knows that you can't be that competitive when you first start. I only ever went as high as blue belt but on my journey there I was probably tapped ten thousand times, including embarrassing losses to sixteen year old kids and 120lb weaklings. You have to check your temper at the door for that sport.