Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

EXTREME!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crown Royal, May 26, 2011.

1. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I took my nephew to the Royal Melbourne Show a couple of years ago.
    He wanted to go onto a fairly tame looking ride called Pirates Revenge where you sit in a hollowed out type log and the log then "floats on water" assisted by a rail mechanism.
    The ride had two big deccelaration points and I ended up throwing my lower back out, hobbling around in pain for the rest of the day and dealing with itermittent back pain for the next 6 months or so.

2. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#22 Stealth, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  3. E-gypped

E-gypped
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

I'm probably on the verge of what you could call an adrenaline junkie. The sports I enjoy most are of the "X-TREME" nature, as in, snowboarding, skateboarding, mountain biking etc. Those sports aren't too uncommon nowadays, mostly because I've found that alot of young people like to be able to say they do 'cool' stuff. What I think really separates the junkies from the average crowd is the rush that comes from realizing that fear is what really holds you back when it comes to those sports, conquering that fear, then actually pushing the limits of what you find scary. When I was young and really didn't care if I hurt myself, I would dive into those sports headfirst (thinking, "fuck it!") and usually get hurt, but now I try to progress gradually by realizing when I'm capable and just being a pussy vs. when I'd be trying something way over my head.

That said, my favourite show-off move is doing a flip off of jumping rocks, bridges or whatever heights into water I can find. When a crowd of people are standing around with jelly knees from looking at a jump, then someone calmly proceeds to do a running backflip off of it? Instant bad-ass status.

Attached Files:

4. Average Idiot

Average Idiot
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I actually went skydiving this past wednesday, which was a pretty big deal considering my intense dislike of heights (no coasters past skull mountain). The rush was fantastic, but it was amplified by the fact that I was pretty much kicking my fear of heights right in the balls.

I wish I could say that I'd be able to man up and do what they do at 1:05, but that's a longgg way down the road in terms of thrill seeking.

#24 Average Idiot, Jun 25, 2011
  5. taste_my_rainbow

taste_my_rainbow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've done it too (same seat as the guy talking in the video, why would you pick any other seat?)

My brother and I are going skydiving for my 30th birthday. Not even gonna lie, I'm nervous as hell just thinking about it but I don't want to look back one day and say "I wish I had done that".

#25 taste_my_rainbow, Jun 28, 2011
  6. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Saw this video yesterday. After reading I fill compelled to post it.

Ive seen about 5 of these but I never heard of the last one. That man is still alive and probably still badass.

#26 Durej, Jun 28, 2011
  7. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got talked into going on this (or a version of it) bastard of a ride some years ago.

The door on the pod felt like it was going to fly open at any moment.

Took me a good 45 minutes to recover.

#27 Stealth, Jun 28, 2011
  8. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm leaving to go to Elitches in Denver shortly. I haven't been in YEARS. Anyone know of any great rides?

9. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Better. That view from the top is what it looks like to be parallel to the ground at 450 ft in the air.

#29 RCGT, Jul 1, 2011
  10. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm a pussy and I get terrified of getting hit in the face. I've been boxing for about 2 years. Every time I step in the ring my instincts tell me to get the fuck out.

11. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've crossed long stretches of open water on snowmobile before. Probably the most extreme I've done. I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to risky shit I guess.

12. slothers

slothers
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Focus:

I just got into bouldering / climbing 8 months ago and I do it for two reasons. One being that it's extremely difficult, and the other is that I haaaaate heights (and hence the large rush). I haven't come close to doing the insane shit that Dan Osman in the video has, but I hope to do it one day. Nothing like trusting your gear and yourself. I have noticed that when you're climbing, you don't really think of anything else except the next hold and how you're going to get up there. In regards to the video, my favorite comment was "how does this guy walk with such big balls in the way".

#32 slothers, Jul 6, 2011
  13. ASL

ASL
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I climb as well, and although Dan Osman was with out a doubt an incredible climber, the risks he took that caused his death seem silly. Especially given that he had a young daughter.

He died doing a "controlled free-fall," which is essentially bungee jumping without a bungee, but rather a climbing rope. This in and of itself might not be so bad, but he went back to a set-up he had from several months before. The intention was to take it down, but he ended up jumping one last time. So, jumped on shitty gear that had been in the elements for months. He chose to do this.

Where does the line between Extreme and Stupid occur?

Regardless, climbing and being in control of yourself that high up, is amazing.

14. Jubes2681

Jubes2681
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The very thought of that skywalk over the Grand Canyon makes me want to crawl into bed and never come out, so I don't think you could pay me enough money to do any of the crazy shit you guys are talking about.

[​IMG]

Ugh, I'm getting that weak in the knees feeling just looking at that and I'm sitting down.

15. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did that a couple of years back, it's a bit of a let down actually.

The middle of the floor of the Skywalk is clear plexiglass, or similar, while the edges are opaque. Visitors are required to wear special shoe coverings and not take phones and cameras (for.. uh.. safety... yeah... want to buy a picture?). However, when you get out there it's all scratched to shit because of wear and tear from professional photographers, lack of maintenance and dickheads with belt buckles lying down to plank or some shit.

What's scarier is about 30 feet from the Skywalk where you can just walk up to the edge of the Canyon. No fences, barriers or anything unless you could the low rope about 20 feet back. There's even majorly deep cracks to cross to get to the edge. All the safety they have is an old Indian guy sitting there saying, "Be careful folks."

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

First one, that just looks impossible. Second one, yeah, I'll take a pass.

#36 Revengeofthenerds, Jul 7, 2011