Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

EXTREME!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crown Royal, May 26, 2011.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Something I briefly posted in a past WDT: In order to compensate for the fact that it is no longer the world's tallest building, the CN Tower has come up with the thrill of all thrills: Edgewalk, where you are teathered to the former window washing girder on the roof of the lower pod on the tower and can walk in groups of eight around the roof edge, even dangle over the concrete 1300 feet below (if you fell off, there's a good chance you could splatter all over the Toronto Blue Jay's outfield!). As a fright junkie, I have already made plans to do this, meanwhile my wife has already made plans to prevent me because it scares the living shit out of her just looking at the picture:

[​IMG]

Focus: How far are you willing to go to thrill/scare yourself? How far have you gone?

Alt-Focus: What "extreme" activities to you fail to see the point to?

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

I generally go out of my way to avoid scaring the shit out of myself, but I understand that other people love the rush. How do you extremophiles get your fix?

3. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FOCUS: When I see a snake, I catch it, or at least try my damndest. I don't know why, it's just a compulsion with me, ever since I was a child, to catch any unusual reptile/amphibian I see. I completely understand why Steve Irwin did what he did. I've been bitten many times by non-venomous snakes, because I accept a little bit of collateral damage with them.
    That is not the case with venomous snakes; the only kind I have ever found in my area (depite what nature guides say) are Western Diamond Backed Rattlesnakes, regarded by many as one of the most aggressive of all snakes, and consistently the leader in human fatalities (in the United States). All the ones I've encountered have been pretty cool; they rattle and get into striking position, but they ALWAYS try to slither away if given half a chance.
    Part of the reason why I catch snakes (venomous or otherwise) these days is to take them out of populated areas (where they will most likely be killed by some ignorant idiot) and relocate them to one of the wildlife refuges in my area, where they should be safe.
    Here's a picture of me (without facial hair) with a small Western Diamond Back, taken a few years ago. I don't run across them that often these days, and I think that's a shame.

Attached Files:

4. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

This one time I had a little bit of cocoa puffs and a little bit of honey bunches of oats left. Neither enough for a full bowl of cereal. I threw caution into the wind and combined them. It was mayhem.

5. MainEvent007

MainEvent007
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Even though I don't particularly like roller coasters and bungee jumping isn't appealing to me at all, I have plans to go sky diving in a couple weeks. I can't imagine that I'm really going to fall in love with it and want to go get certified or anything like that. I think I'm mostly doing it just to say that I've done it. And cause a lot of the videos look awesome.

6. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I stick my dick in crazy.

7. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't like going in the glass box in Willis Tower (formerly Sears tower) I can't imagine doing that walk mentioned in the first post.

8. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    FOCUS: Peanut butter and strawberry jam (jelly to those in the U.S.) on a sandwich.

ALT. FOCUS: All of them. I prefer not getting killed, since I am horribly unlucky, and would, most likely, despite the safety harness, plummet to my demise off CN Tower if I tried that Edgewalk. No thanks.

9. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: I have mentioned breaking horses many times on this board, but a know there is at least one Tibette who needs a horse story, haha.

Seriously though, horses are my adrenaline. We aren't talking about well trained/broken trail horses here. I am talking about the wild ones, with the white of their eyes showing and their hooves aimed at disabling my stubborn ass. Ever since I was a kid, I had to tame them all. Huge riding events-a horse loses its shit and starts auditioning for the rodeo, I gotta ride it. I'm actually very good at it, but I've still had a few ejection rides. Dust my ass off and get back up. Love it.

Add chasing cattle or eight foot jumps and I'm in heaven.

Cars-I used to have a real speed problem. Half the time I was contemplating crashing and being done, but I never did. I have run from cops (wasn't my car, high on everything but life) and gotten away. I don't remember the car's specs, other than it was a six speed nissan and it was fucking fast. The guy who owned it peed a little that night.

I used to think my partying was a drive for adrenaline, but now it was slow suicide. Don't do it, kids.

Guns. I love to shoot things. It gets me hot.

Alt. Focus: Eating bugs and shit. I live in a well fed nation. Why eat some nasty??

10. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Heh, I regularly climb cliffs that are taller than that building. I've done a lot of exciting stuff including motorcycles, martial arts, white water kayaking, skydiving, and EMS care, but rock climbing will always be my passion.

Here's a quick slideshow to give an idea of scale and height. These pictures were taken in Morocco. Looking out into the valley at about 300 feet.
    [​IMG]

Looking down at a garden below, same height.
    [​IMG]

500 feet, the guy below is sitting where I took the first two pictures. Those black specs are goats.
    [​IMG]

A couple action shots mid-pitch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the top of the cliff, maybe 1,500 feet up or so.
    [​IMG]

Staring out into the valley at about 2,000 feet. Those specs are cars. (This was taken a few days later at the top of a different cliff, same location.)
    [​IMG]

11. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a tremendous fear of falling. Being on a plane 30,000 feet up, I have no problem looking out the window since there's no threat of me falling. Put me three steps up on a ladder, and I start to shake. In college, friends were going parachuting and tried to get me to join in. The only time I'm going to jump out of a plane is when the pilot, wearing his parachute, says, "I'm leaving."

Not a big fan of the adrenaline rush. Besides, it puts a lot of physical stress on the body, something I can do without. I'd rather solve a crossword puzzle.

Another "extreme" I don't get is the eating contest. Not the "Nathan's HotDog Eating Contest" or such, but moreso the restaurant eating challenges like those featured on Man vs. Food. "Today, Adam faces the 'Leaning Tower of Pizza,' 24 large pizzas, each with 14 different toppings, stacked to a height of 30" with a 24" diameter. He'll have 45 minutes to do it, but he'll need to finish in under 19 to break the record currently held by sumo wrestler Fuji Hokalugi! Did we mention that the top pizza is smothered in pork chops and gravy?"

"Look, Ma! My picture's on the wall!"

"I'm so proud of you, son!"

*burp*

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Done some adrenaline-inducing shit in the past:

• Parachuted for a couple of years when I was 18 or so, first with the military round chutes, then on to the 5-7 cel "sport" chutes. Those military chutes are NOT FUN. At all. No real control, and they drop like a rock. The civilian sport chutes rocked though... you haven't lived until you've done a Horny Gorilla at 8k feet.

• As part of my Para Rescue training while in the military, we jumped out of a Herc into the bush in northern Ontario, in mid-November. We had to survive for 10 days and make it about 50km to our pick-up point. We were theoretically left on our own to do this, but had instructors looking over us and fucking with us. "A Badger just ate your right boot. Give it to me. Carry on." Pretty extreme, and a fairly realistic survival situation. Basically nothing to eat other than what you caught.

• Got my pilots licenses (glider, power, instructors, IFR). Did some amateur aerobatics for a bit; first loop (extreme failure) was a fucking scary thing.

• HATE heights, despite being totally OK in an aircraft. Scariest thing I've done to date (as in almost chickened out) was rappelling down a thousand foot cliff in the military. Just doing the "hang your ass out 45°" thing scared the fuck out of me. OK once I got out and going, but that first "did I tie my Swiss Seat properly" moment of truth was off the charts for me.

• Rappelled out of a helicopter onto a Rugby pitch. We were hosting the New Zealand All Black's B team, and we were getting slaughtered. First game they did their Haka, and laughed at us, so the CO said "fuck this" and got us all on a "training mission" for the next day's game. We flew into the field in 2 helicopters and rappelled out of the side. The only downside was that our scrum half fucked up and smacked his face on the skid. We still lost something like 90-3, but we rappelled in from fucking helicopters, bitches.

• Bungee jumped a few times. Scariest was on a beech in Mexico, on a platform made out of shitty scaffolding about 80' high, held together with failing zip-ties. Backwards.

• Used to race 16' Hobie Cats on Vancouver Island while I was in military college. Friend's boat was set up for night running, and we thought it was a good idea to go out and run around in gale force winds for shits and giggles. At 2am. Alcohol may have been involved. We almost died, for real. Never did that again. (The night in gale force winds part). We had to set off the EPIRB when the boat broke, and got rescued/spotted by a helo. Whole rescue-diver and everything. The only part I regretted was that they didn't hoist us, just directed a Coast Guard boat to us (it was about 10 mins away). Did we ever catch shit from our CO. It was a hell of an experience, though.

• Now the most extreme thing I do is race cars. The scariest part? I do a lot of the mechanical work myself. There's a reason why there's a standing order on the Pro team that I'm only allowed to touch shit that has a USB port. (To clarify, all of the mechanics on the pro team are seasoned pros that have years of training and credentials up the ying yang, while I don't... that makes them more qualified to work on the $200k+ race cars, while I stick to the Motec, ECU, etc)

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Here's a video of Edgewalk. It's still under construction until August, but this will give you a short idea (that's the Blue Jays' Rogers Centre with the roof closed that he's looking down on at 1:45). There will be no mesh or girders or basically anything blocking the view when it's done.

I WANT.

#13 Crown Royal, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  14. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You people are fucking nuts.

I'm sure the adrenaline rush would be amazing, but the vomiting and anxiety attack beforehand wouldn't be.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

For thrills rides, this one is beyond any possible ride you've been on:

420 Feet straight up and down, over 125 mph. It is worth the possible 2 hour line to say the very least. Best 15 seconds of your entire life. Make sure to get the front seat, I don't settle for less.

#15 Crown Royal, Jun 22, 2011
  16. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We white folk do crazy shit....

17. Nettie

Nettie
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well, one of the best times I had was when I got to go to Cheju Island off the south tip of Korea when I was stationed in Seoul. Australian rappelling school/training. Everything from capsize/decapsize an RB-15, the infamous one rope bridge across actual canyons, and of course, the rappelling. Australian style is face down towards the ground, you're parallel to it. Now, I am not a huge heights fan. The early stuff was no problem, but when we get to the 110m where you're basically bouncing back & forth across a chasm in the cliff going down, and I lost my footing, crashed into the cliff. I'm seriously scared, freaked out, not to mention bleeding (hit the wall hard enough I ripped my BDU's open). I started to laugh. Hysterically. The sergeant on belay walks me out from the cliff so I can get my feet back under me, and I'm laughing too hard. So he just starts rolling me in circles until I thought I was either going to pee my pants or puke. Got me to stop laughing enough that I could continue. Pretty much cured me of my fear of heights. Final rappel I did awesome on, it was the 300m down. Due to this "training" I come back to base with extremely bruised knees from being on the decapsize team, extremely bruised inner thighs from the rope bridge, and the rest of my body a huge bruise from falling on rappels. And a great tan.

After Korea, I was stationed in Texas. And of course, lots of bull riders in Texas. I said I wanted to try. All 5'6", 115 lbs. of me. Well, there's a practice arena in Belton, so one Sunday we went there. They lent me chaps, spurs, glove, rope, etc. And the guy running it refused to sit me down, made my bull riding friends do it. Now, if you have ever tried anything like this, or been to a practice arena, we're not talking the bulls you see on TV. They have varying grades of bulls depending on your skill level. For complete novices like myself, the bull's name was Pete. He didn't buck so much as just kind of see saw across the arena. Sounds like no big deal, unless you have *no* idea what you're doing, which I didn't, and the fact no matter now "gentle" the bull is, you're still sitting on a 2000 pound animal who is at least a little bit trying to get you off of his back. I lasted probably a second & a half, faceplant into the dirt (and you know what else). Popped back up & immediately said, "I want to try again!" Cue to spending at least every other Sunday afternoon & some Thursday nights there, until I could actually stay on "Pete", and graduated to slightly harder bulls. My "career" was halted when I got hung up & dislocated my shoulder. My CO said no more riding, since I had to miss a field exercise due to my arm being completely immobile for two weeks, then in a sling for four more.

18. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I rode this for the first time over Memorial Day weekend. Waited in line for 2 1/2 hours because it broke down three times. The scariest part isn't the 90 degree drop from 400+ feet, but the acceleration to 125 mph in under 4 seconds. The drop is way too quick to worry about; you have only a half second to think "Whoa, we're really high up." The tower part is all gravity, no brakes or boosters, and I'm told once every couple of days, the train doesn't make it over the slope and plummets backwards straight down. My brother has been on board when that happened. There's probably an "oh fuck" moment, but the train actually hits some brakes, goes back to the starting position and tries 'er again.

My girlfriend wants to go skydiving in this summer. I'm absolutely petrified. The closest I've ever come to extreme was parasailing at 400 feet at Hilton Head, which is actually quite peaceful.

Hey, check this out:

#18 shabamon, Jun 23, 2011
  19. cdite

cdite
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Focus: I don't do large bodies of water, being on a boat and fishing is one thing but if I can't see the bottom I'm not getting in. Swimming in a lake? Fuck that shit, and then we have the ocean... and sharks. In the ocean's never ending war on humanity, sharks are kind of like the white blood cells. The ocean sends them to kill individual humans that have entered it's waters. Sharks are basically water breathing death tubes armed with razor sharp teeth designed specifically for tearing human flesh. Truly one the ocean's most terrifying weapons. Every shark wants nothing more than to kill people. To survive, we must take the same attitude towards them. That being said, I really want to do the white shark cage dives off the coast of Australia. The thought of doing that terrifies me but I think it would be a awesome adrenaline rush.

Disclaimer: My description of sharks was obviously a joke.

20. JC62

JC62
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

[/quote]

Been there, done that - multiple times. I've been on every ride on top of the Stratosphere - Love it!

#20 JC62, Jun 23, 2011