Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Everything I know, I learned from World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by barney, Jun 2, 2010.

1. barney

barney
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Boy saves his sister from a moose, using skills he learned from WoW.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Good_News/2010/06/01/14211821.html

Focus: Has there ever been an occasion in your life, where knowledge from a seemingly unrelated source has proved to be the answer?

Alt Focus: Can video games really provide you with the skills to be successful in life?

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You learn how to maturely and effectively deal with issues.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/7771505/Video-game-fanatic-hunts-down-and-stabs-rival-player-who-killed-character-online.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... nline.html</a>

That, and how to hold a 7-month grudge and then track down and stab the fuck out of people who piss you off.

3. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Figures the kid plays a hunter..... wait shit.

4. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

I tried putting the Contra code into an ATM. It yelled at me with a bunch of sirens and flashing lights and I ran away.

Video games are liars.

5. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pong taught me to think outside the box.

6. Thorgouge

Thorgouge
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That's bullshit, I played a Mage on World of Warcraft for four years and I still can't shoot fireballs from my hands no matter how many of these energy drinks I drink:
    [​IMG]

7. carpenter

carpenter
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've learned that a grenade launcher is the best way to end those pesky arguments. You can call me a fag for using one all you like, as you lay there all exploded.

8. insanityv2

insanityv2
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

From the year I spent playing WoW as a freshman in high school I saw that my guild leaders were idiots kids just like me.

I'd actually say that this taught me that, when at work and at the various other things you become involved in, your supervisors are more often than not just as idiotic as you are. They have just had the advantage of having been there longer.

Guild drama also taught me that people like hiring and promoting people they know. Thus if you get passed over for promotion or recognition, it could likely be because you didn't network properly rather you being incompetent. Also that in such a case, it is not wrong to start applying at other places to look for advancement.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Pong taught me to go outside and play.

10. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Pong taught me how to play with balls and paddles. Gooooooooooo pong!

11. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Madden football's rating system has always been something I've taken into consideration when it comes to my football related gambling habits. Their match up simulation and ratings are pretty scary good. Don't get me wrong, I'd never base a pick on a Madden game, but I use it too factor in. In fantasy football this has been particularly true, especially when you see guys coming in as rookies or have had limited playing time. I try to watch more and more college every year, but between getting wasted on Saturdays and the sheer volume of college ball, it's hard to catch every up and comer.

• I won back in '02 because I managed to grab Steve Smith (CAR) and the former Chad Johnson (CIN), and both were off the waiver wire in what was their break out seasons.
    • Vincent Jackson? I carried him a couple years before that one paid off.
    • Maurice Jones-Drew, I've always been a believer.
    • Brandon Jacobs was hurt most of last year, but previous to that I predicted he was gonna be a Jamal Lewis type producer.
    • I knew Thomas Jones had serious potential AS A CARDINAL. Not many people remember that, especially since he was behind Marcell Shipp and Josh Scobey.
    • I'm still on the fence with Donte Stallworth, but he's just a case in point of its ability to indicate potential of a player. I carried him two years before finally dumping him, only for him to break out (then we all know what happened).

Of course, there have been a few busts (Matt Jones and TJ Duckett stand out in my mind), but they pay off more often than not.

12. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fallout 3 taught me how to map out an area in my mind and not get lost. Also how to read a map. I'm phenomenal at not getting lost now.

13. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Mario taught me if someone messes with you to just stomp them flat.

14. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Grand Theft Auto taught me it was ok just to knock out guys wearing short denim shorts and a hard hat.

1993 SEGA ice hockey taught me the only offensive move I have ever known, the sega1, to the left back to the right and shoot. Useful in fraternity street hockey and all major hockey video games.

Street Fighter taught me get inside on Indian men if I'm fighting them, they have super long arms.

The knowledge is boundless.............................

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I learned no matter where you are and no matter what the odds, ninjas always kick ass:

#15 Crown Royal, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  16. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't say that I have definitively "learned" anything from reading their stuff, but Stephen King and Clive Cussler are very technichal about their writing. I can verify that a lot of the descriptions in their writings (mostly King, I have only read one Cussler book) are dead on about technical stuff.

17. uzisuicide

uzisuicide
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Call of Duty 4: MW2 taught me that you may try and try, but no matter what, you'll still get slaughtered by 11-year olds.

18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What a bullshit article. Five minutes talking to a park ranger can teach you the same things, and he had to wait until level 30 to learn feign death. Stupid huntards.

Playing video games improved my hand eye co-ordination no end, and that's an old chestnut that I will always stick to. Plus, my aim from playing shooters has improved out of sight. So, when I got postal, anything in front of me within a rectangular field is getting one-shotted... as long as I'm not moving.

19. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The frivolity in the above post aside, what I've learned in martial arts has helped immensely in business life. I'm not talking about belting people up (even if the desire to do so is there), but rather the philosophy of the fight science. I've learned how to avoid being broadsided, how to lure people into "traps" that they create of their own thinking, giving ground to gain an advantage, appearing weak in certain areas where I'm really strong to massage dealings a certain way. In short; how to be a sneaky, manipulative bastard in getting people to destroy themselves through their own misdeeds while coming out clean.

20. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

God of War taught me that Greek hookers don't actually give you gonorrhea but instead give you red orbs.