Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Everyone's an expert

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Samr, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you're talking about the "continental" breakfast they have, yeah, you could definitely get away with that. They don't give a fuck who eats that dogshit. And hell, if you did it for 10 years, you could come tell us about it here. I wonder if we'll still have the internet in ten years, or if it will evolve into some weird dragon type thing.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Sam, you are totally right. I AM an expert when it comes to flying squirrels. I've had wild ones, tame ones, I've bottle fed them from little pinkies and I've released most of them. So if anyone has a question about what to do with the nest that fell out of the tree during that storm, I am absolutely your go-to girl.

3. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

For as long as I can remember I've been into camping and the outdoors. Now, while I'm no Les Stroud I am quite proficient in outdoors survival skills. Most of my knowledge comes from actual experience and not sitting on my ass, although I have read some books on the subject. I spend nearly all of my summers in Lebanon which has nearly every kind of terrain you can think of crammed into a tiny country. Because of this I've been in a lot of different kinds of environments ranging from mountainous, to forest, to costal, to near desert.

When I was younger (from 10-15) I'd go camping with a large group which is how I got started. You might be thinking awww cute, boy scouts. Not really. We were loosely modelled after a company: One major, two lieutenants who were in charge of four squads of 6-10 each. One month prior to going to each random campsite which was chosen by the leader, each squad had to come up with a plan. This plan was basically blueprints of the shelters, watch towers and storage units we had to build by hand. It also had to include estimates of materials we needed. Once this plan was OK'd then you'd be allowed to go, if not you either redo it or aren't allowed to join. Then the fun would start where you had to go in the woods and cut down and prep all of the wood and bamboo-like reeds you needed to build this stuff before you left. Once all our supplies were gathered and we were ready to go camping, we'd call some people we knew in the army to help us by sending drivers and trucks (the old deuce and a halfs) since those were the only trucks capable of getting us and our gear into the middle of butt fuck nowhere. Once we got there it was 7 days of building shelters and such with nothing more than logs and rope and learning survival skills relevant to the area we were in. Usually two meals a day with a third meal+ being provided by you…finding it in the wild. Day seven (usually a sunday evening) our parents and a local priest would come up for closing mass and a party to which the parents would bring ridiculous amounts of food and drinks.

Everything else I've learned has either come from my own experimentation or come from family who have a lot of experience with this stuff due to some pretty shitty circumstances. Ever since then my buddies and I usually go once or twice a summer with as little gear as possible, usually just rifles/shot guns and a basic kit, and rough it for a few days. Retarded? Yes. Fun? You bet your ass.

4. Politik

Politik
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Alright Chater, I can elaborate.

I am an expert at formal high school policy debate. The kind where we speak so fast it sounds like we're weeping in Arabic.

My freshman year our team came first in State, Nationals, and Tournament of Champions, which made us the best debate team in the country, as well as the first debate team to ever win the "Triple Crown" (all 3 in the same season). While all my friends spent their free time doing normal things like sports, I was traveling the country debating on the national circuit. Because of debate I got to do all sorts of crazy shit. I've argued energy policy in front of senators, eaten countless free steak dinners, chilled with the president of NYU (John Sexton, kind of a douchebag), etc. Our team has consumed at least an acres worth of forest in paper printing out thousands of pages of evidence which we carried in tubs with us across the country. By this point I've memorized a disgusting amount of knowledge about national and international policy. I have far more developed researching and analytical skills than most college students who are older than me.

If you ever need to write an essay on foreign aid to Sub-Saharan Africa I have that shit on lockdown.

5. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Banking.

I have been a banker for over 12 years now, I mainly do mortgages but I can help with CD's and bonds as well.

The sad thing is I have a degree in English.

I have answered allot or people questions on this board about purchasing a home, always willing to help the idiots.