Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Euro Cup 2012

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by RCGT, Jun 9, 2012.

1. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That Germany-Portugal game was pretty boring until about the 70th minute. Comes with the territory I guess.

Hummels is an insanely good defender. I don't really know shit about soccer and I'm easily distracted, and even I could tell.

2. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    What you mean to say is Euro 2012, Chater. I will also be supporting England, who are playing tomorrow against France. Germany ground out a win yesterday also against Portugal. I prefer saying I enjoy watching good football, which is why I don't like the Portuguese (dive much?) or Italy (traditionally, one of the most boring teams in the world to watch). I hope that England does well, though I also hope the Republic also does well - Trappatoni is a great coach and they have some really good players like Robbie Keane, McClean, Dunne, Given and Duff - it's probably the last major tournament that Keane, Given and Duff will be in, so I'm hoping they do well.

Either way, yay football!

3. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The second best tournament after the world cup. So far there hasn't been any really great games. I'll be pulling for Germany like usual. Their game against Portugal was pretty boring, but usually they are one of the most fun teams to watch. Speaking of groups, that group that played yesterday is absolutely insane. I almost feel like they shouldn't allow all those teams to be stuck in the same group, but it does make for a good opening round. Looking forward to Spain vs Italy today.

4. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Have to agree with this. If they score a goal, forget about it. Its defense for the rest of the game.

I've never really liked England and will be supporting France and Spain again this year. Hopefully France can do well to make up for the trouble they had at the World Cup in 2010.

5. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

France are alright (I have to dislike them because I'm English and it is compulsory), but I want France to lose to England just to see that fucker Michel Platini (UEFA President) have a stroke/heart attack/disappear up his own asshole, like he almost did when Chelsea won the ECL. However, I would not begrudge France a place in the knockout stages.

England will, sadly, be dreadfully dull, apart from maybe The Ox (kid's built like a tank), Gerrard (only if he brings his A-game, which was showing signs of coming back at the end of the league season) and Walcott, if he manages to not fall over his own feet. Also, England will draw with Sweden. It's almost inevitable. I'd also like to see Zlatan disappear up his own over-rated asshole - the guy is slower than a Water Buffalo standing in mud. England will still struggle

Really though, fuck Spain. They won't win this time - I don't think they have enough depth in defense (though Ramos has been fantastic for Real Madrid), Torres has largely been misfiring, no David Villa...

6. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah, you called it. He had a couple of nice opportunities. The second half of the game was great, but there were a lot of yellow cards. Spain seemed to have most of the possession, too bad they couldn't pull out a win.

7. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Torres has been rubbish for almost his whole period at Chelsea. He really needs a move to a different club, one that better suits his style of play - he looks to be low on confidence.

Is anyone else watching the Republic play Croatia?

8. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

9. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Such a resounding loss for the Czechs is a slight surprise. I can't believe Rosicky has scored 20 goals for the Czech Republic in his career. At Arsenal, he seems unable to find the goal and has a strong love for the masseuse and treatment tables...

However, the Russians have an excellent coach in Dick Advocaat and some fine players in their squad in Berezutskiy (a pity his twin wasn't playing too - those guys are formidable at CSKA), Zhirkov, Ignaschevich, Pavlyuchenko, Dzagoev... so the win is not a huge surprise. The Czechs seem to lack experienced international players, unlike the Russians.

10. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

I regret not seeing more of that Ukraine - Sweden match (I saw the last twenty minutes or so). Congratulations to Andriy Shevchenko for scoring 2 in front of a home crowd. I think he's now the first Ukrainian to score 50 international goals? What a class player.

Ibra's face at the end was also priceless.

11. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ibra is such a douche. Though I will say its impressive how much their offense flows through him.

It felt like Shevchenko was scoring through sheer force of will. I thought he might be in trouble after he came up a bit injured. That second header was fantastic.

12. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This Russia-Poland match is pretty damn exciting. Lots of chances, lots of movement up and down the field.

13. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy shit. The Polish captain just scored a beautiful strike off the left foot. Amazing goal.

14. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Boom.

15. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There have been some absolutely gorgeous goals in this tournament. Just from recent memory, Croatia's 3rd goal against Ireland (probably my favorite), and both of the goals in the Russia-Poland match were awesome.

Overall, the level of play has been really outstanding.

16. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Didn’t get to see the game, but I really wanted the Netherlands to pick up a win today. It would have really opened things up for the group. I don’t know if it’s true, but I hear that the strikers don’t get along and don’t want to give the ball to Van Persie. I’d be sad if egos are the cause of the team’s exit.

17. PeaMan

PeaMan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I can't believe Robben. Every time I watch him I am in disbelief at his tunnel vision and selfishness combined with his utter lack of bravery on the pitch. It is so bad that the commentators in the UK were basically making jokes at his expense. As an Englishman I would have loved nothing more than to have seen the Germans beaten but the Netherlands didn't play with the kind of hunger that you would want to see. The Germans looked like they won that game barely moving out of 3rd gear.

18. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

I think RvP should've been benched - he hasn't played really well since April, possibly due to fatigue?

The person I am sad for is Mark van Bommel - played for good teams and still no major trophies, and not much chance of the Dutch being able to progress in this competition.

I'm glad Bendtner is playing pretty well in this tournament for the Danes - it'll mean a bigger transfer fee for Arsenal and having one less cunt in the side. Nice.

19. Idiot Wind

Idiot Wind
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Pretty much everything Robben does nowadays is cutting in from the right and taking a shot with his left foot. I can't think of a major player who is so reliant on one trick. Lahm is his club teammate, and had him figured out throughout the match.

If I recall correctly, Holland can still qualify if they beat Portugal by two goals (which I can't see happening) and Denmark loses to Germany.

He did win the Champs League with Barcelona in the 2005/06 season.

20. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

For Arsenal fans, this match never happened. Or, at least, after Lehmann was sent off, the trophy was only going to one place. But yeah, I did forget that one, because the match never really happened.

Also, looks like the Irish will be packing their bags after the final group stage match. 88 minutes gone and 4-0 down an their 2nd loss in the tournament. It's a shame they were drawn into such a tough group. I'd also wager Group C is also a "group of death" - Spain and Italy are the winners of the last 2 World Cups and the Croatians generally field a good team.