Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Emo? Scene? Punk? Grunge?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trickysista, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Through middle school, high school and college I pretty much wore Dockers khakis and a t-shirt, usually a Detroit Tigers shirt. In the winter I would audible with a hoodie of the same variety. In the summer, I would switch it up with khaki cargo shorts usually. My shirts were usually a size too large, and sweatshirts probably 2 sizes too large. I'm only realizing lately that it makes me look like a gangsta, and have been trying to downsize.

It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago, just before my 23rd birthday, that I bought my first pair of jeans ever.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

God I went through that 14 year old phase of trying out shit to get attention. It started with bleaching my hair. I have super frizzy jew fro style hair and I had to have the industrial strength shit lapped on in two goes just to get it decently colored. My friends all did the same shit and went as far as coloring theirs blue or green. We wanted to be some sort of rave kids just without the music and Ecstasy.

Once I saw my cousin, a guy I idolized as the ultimate in cool growing up, wearing this kind of rave style button up illusion shirt, I had to fucking have it. It took me months before I found one close enough at Gadzooks and snapped it up. I had a bunch of similar optical illusion shirts from there as well. I had one pair of Jnco jeans, that were over sized, you could fit one and a half person into each leg, but weren't the bell bottom overly huge pocket style. Can't lie, they were comfortable.

After freshman year my two friends who were both into the style the most moved away and I wound up with a group of friends that just wore normal shit. That was that.

3. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Fuck all of you. I had to wear a uniform for school for my entire school career. Do you know how much wool long pants and a fucking blazer feel in summer? From October, you felt like death warmed up every day by 10am. Ridiculous. I had the long pants and blazer through my whole high school career - at least primary school, we had shorts, but with long socks.

When it's cold, out come the button-down or golf shirts and chino pants. When it's warm, shorts and golf shirt again or t-shirt. I don't like having my collar popped at ALL. It's annoying as fuck, even with short hair. How do these stupid kids do that?

My dress style hasn't changed much over the last 10-15 years. I don't like baggy clothes or skinny jeans, I just like my clothes to fit properly.

4. Suit Jacket

Suit Jacket
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I was pretty much jeans and a t-shirt, with the t-shirts trying to be anything that didn't scream a brand logo on it.

However, during the summer, I did not see any issue with jorts. I even wore cut-offs if a pair of jeans got eff-ed up in the legs. Always classy.

5. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Ok fine, I'll admit it....I had a guido phase. It lasted for the first two years of my high school career. In my defense though I was living in Jersey and back then the term guido didn't even exist...and I was young. In fact I was the first person in my school to rock the blowout. This was coupled with Abercrombie t-shirts and faded jeans. I even did that whole turtle neck sweater thing during the winter time.

Something changed in me going into junior year though and I went to the total opposite side of the spectrum. My last two years of high school were pretty much pajamas and a sweatshirt/white t-shirt everyday. That's also when my hair evolved from the blowout to an afro. I rocked the afro for the rest of high school.

Yeah, those were confusing times.

6. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Junior year of high school was when I also discovered that sweatpants and a hoodie was really conducive to me sleeping through all my classes. I classed it up with jeans on friday though, since I knew I would be out and about after school.

Did anybody else buy t-shirts from the thrift store for there go to summer apparel? I still rock the Colt-45 t-shirt I got when I was 16.

7. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

I didn't go to high school full-time so I didn't really care what I wore to class.

I was really preppy, and I loved the SHIT out of the Gap and Old Navy. All of my clothes were from those two stores and maybe a few things from Express thrown in. The shitty thing is wherever I went there seemed to be at least 2 other girls wearing the exact same outfit. "Ah, yes. The Gap Bootleg Medium Fade Jeans with the Courtney top in indigo and Doc Marten sandles. Nice to see we have the same generic, suburbanite taste. Kudos." My clothes were a reflection of my lack of a personality and the stick I had permanently shoved up my ass.

I try to make up for it now by wearing as much Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters and weird, funky stuff I can find.

8. Trickysista

Trickysista
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yes! I used to go to the thrift store all the time in high school for t-shirts to wear to xc/basketball/track practice. I still have a few and they are the softest, most comfortable shirts I own.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On the flip side of that was my friend Darren who bought HUNDREDS of those quirky throw away shirts at Goodwill. He even sold bulk quantities of them on ebay. He was a hipster before before the word was popular. After Napoleon Dynamite came out there was no end to his blathering on about how cool these shirts were because of it. Wearing cheap tshirts for sports is one thing, wearing them to be fashionable and prattling on and on about it is another.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I started going to high school the same year Nevermind and Ten hit stores. Grunge rocker all the way, though I had at least 8 shirts with this familiar emblem on it:

[​IMG]

11. breakylegg

breakylegg
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I got into hardcore punk in high school and experimented with shock value for like a week before it disgusted me. Then for the rest of the time I pretty much wore converse high tops, jeans and either a band T-shirt or a short-sleeved button up thrift store shirt and shaved head. Every once in a while something bland from a military surplus store made an appearance.

These days I prefer vans, Dickies and mostly knit shirts of solid dark colors or with simplistic patterns and a lot of blue. Some say I look like a vague surfer type. I tell them I am more angling for a Wal Mart mannequin look.

12. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

How to make a Dave back in the 90s.

-Take a black metal band shirt (Mayhem, Emperor, Marduk, Immortal etc.) and cut off the sleeves.
    -Black military cargo pants from the surplus store. Do NOT buy at the mall as these will become fashionable at the very end of the decade.
    -Black steel toed boots. As tall as you can find.
    -Get a black sweatshirt, and cover with patches and pieces of metal band shirts.
    -Black leather jacket, paint bad ass patterns and designs on in acrylic.
    -Attach spikes and studs anywhere possible.

13. Bogan

Bogan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I had a uniform all through high school, as is pretty common for schools in Australia. Outside of there, I rocked cargo pants and tshirts, or adidas tracksuits - I was a stylish youngun. My pride and joy was a pair of these in black with red stripes:
    [​IMG]
    (Took me 10 minutes to find a picture. Popper joggers? WTF? We called them 'studs')

It wasn't until I was 21 that I bought my first pair of jeans, and that was under duress from my girlfriend. Now I'd say I dress half decently but I still have some old favourites I pull out whenever I can - Millencolin tshirts and some 10 year old cargo shorts that were formerly pants are the most comfortable clothes I own

14. satan rae

satan rae
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I was a skater/grunge girl throughout Jr High and then started to get heavy into raves in High School.
    Big pants,small shirts, baseball hats and beads. I was 17 in the picture below and thought I looked soo effin' cool.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

15. nate84405

nate84405
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I went through the whole emo stage when I was 16-17. Chick pants, long hair, and eyeshadow, I thought I was hot shit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To this day I wear what is cheap and comfortable.

Sweat pants everyday? So be it. And just because it has a stain doesn't necessarily make it trash. I also wear flip flops year round..

Fashion is an incredible waste of time unless you're trying to get laid or it's for business. So yes, I do own nice clothes. But just for special occassions.

17. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

For some reason, I didn't like jeans until I hit college. In high school I was all about cargo pants, normally paired with a t-shirt.

In my early college career, I started shopping exclusively at Express for Men. I was never without my solid color, athletic fit button up shirts and boot-cut jeans. Chicks seemed to dig it (also gay dudes). I gave up on that look and went back to t-shirts and jeans when I got a steady girlfriend. I guess I'm one of those guys who dresses nice to get the girl and then gives up and lets himself go.

18. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went to a private all-male (anatomically, at least) prep school that had a dress code. Jacket (or varsity letter sweater--cardigan style) and tie were mandatory. Not much room for expression.

Outside of school, it was jeans and tee or sweatshirts. I didn't really start paying attention to my wardrobe until college.

19. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My fashion arc through high school started with 1980s dork - corduroy pants and plaid button down long sleeve shirts or sweaters. The guy in the second row down, second from left is a disturbingly accurate reflection of how I dressed.

[​IMG]

By my senior year I had progressed to Levi's and concert T's, polos or sports Ts. All very mundane - until the big metal concert on Saturday, when I wore chains, handcuffs, a black studded t-shirt and these:

[​IMG]

20. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why yes I did wear these................

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSCuBANoaLc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSCuBANoaLc</a>

I could also rock a sweet tight roll and the bottom of the leg as well.

In college I progressed so I no longer tight rolled my pants. The one constant me and my crew had throughout was a baseball hat. We preferred GAME hats, but pro-fits were also popular. It took about two months to really break one in right, then it stayed on your head for months.