Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He didn't just say stupid shit, they failed to act on it. Any delay in reacting has severe long-term impacts when you're talking about things like a spreading virus. For fear of looking bad, action was intentionally stifled by your President and his administration, and he's standing at a lectern and saying "I'm not responsible, but maybe someone on my staff is, but it wasn't me."

HOURS matter, never mind days, or weeks.

There's a reason why the US now has the world's highest rate of transmission right now. And that's not a competition you want to win.

You guys are at a 76% growth rate right now. Even the worst country in the world right now, Italy, is only 15%.

By the first week in April you are expected to have over 2.5 million infected people, and if you look at the curve, you're just starting to go for the ride at that point.

Your testing infrastructure and health care limitations are fucked.

Say what you will of China, but they're already recovering due to some fast and strict behaviour... their factories are spinning back up, and their economy is starting to recover. You guys are just starting the downward spiral.

You guys have a moron at the helm, and I think you're going to end up paying a high price because of it.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

3. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You realize this point only works if you isolate a couple of specific days. That's not really intellectually honest analysis. Even then countries like Italy had about the same number of cases in the same time frame.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You do realize that those numbers/warnings come from Johns Hopkins, right? It's not me making shit up to try and make you look bad... these are professionals from their Coronavirus Resource Centre, who's job it is is to track this shit for a living.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevor...-any-other-country-in-the-world/#7c5b6eea7e72

"As of today, the United States falls in last place with regard to limiting COVID-19 growth according to the number of confirmed cases. According to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center, the number of confirmed cases in the United States grew at a faster rate than any other country in the world yesterday. Below, I dive into how these numbers are skewed by country population and the number of coronavirus tests conducted.

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases rose from 7,783 on Wednesday to 13,677 yesterday. The growth of 5,894 new confirmed cases in just one day equates to a 76% increase in cases in just a 24-hour period."​

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

[​IMG]

That is your growth rate. Sure doesn't look like you guys are "flattening the curve" any time soon, does it?

6. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What happened with testing for this? Are the results for the test dependable? Are they rapid? Are they readily available? Is this Trump's doing? Don't say he cut funding, this isn't a new threat. This could/should have been handled at any point in time in at least the last 20 years.

Up until two weeks ago, what was the process for clearing a vaccine or a test method? Is this Trump's doing? Is that by executive order or by soul-crushing federal regulations that stifle the marketplace of ideas? Either way, it magically changed recently.

If your organization has it figured out after a few decades of not having it figured out than kudos to you. I guess the Government (all of it) can only be shown up by hillbillies in john boats so many times before they show some fucking pride. Clearly, though, the rest needs work.

7. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Part of the reason that the increase in cases looks so dramatic right now is because there was such a dramatic lack of testing for so long. As we (FINALLY) start to ramp up testing, the extent of spread will start to become more apparent. I work in a medical clinic and we were able to send our first swabs in for testing on Tuesday (before that there wasn't an option for us as a small, independent clinic) but we still haven't gotten any results. It's ALARMING.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As larger scale testing rolls out you'll see confirmed cases skyrocket as we are physically testing more people. I didn't doubt the Ohio governor's spokesperson when they said over 100k people in Ohio might have it, they just haven't been tested. You are making assumptions off of wildly incomplete data. If say 10 million people have it but we only tested 10k of them this week. Next week there could be 9 million people with it but we tested and confirmed only 100k people with it by that time. The only data we had would suggest the infection rate skyrocketed ten fold, we'd never know the curve had turned. The US wasn't the only country caught flat footed as far as testing capabilities, South Korea seems to be one of the only ones that haven't. Taking a single data point of raw numbers with basically nothing else factored in I think is wildly myopic and prone to error. We can't sit on our hands until we've rolled out major testing but I think the wild speculation is doing more harm than good as for as societal psyche's go.

A decent article on the issues with covid-19 and the amount of data we've collected.

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't doubt the numbers at all, just how they are isolated at the exact point we have the highest growth. Of course they will continue to go up. As of the moment we aren't doing significantly better or worse than other countries. That might change, but we don't know that. That's all I'm saying.

10. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yes, you are. You are doing worse. Way worse. The lack of testing makes the numbers collected so far better, not worse. You are only seeing the absolute worst cases showing up.

Your testing is abysmal, almost nonexistent. South Korea, a country with 1/6th the population of the US, has done one of the best jobs at testing in the world. They are up to about 6k per million population tested. They have solid numbers because they took it seriously, and got their shit together to get testing done so that they could work from there.

You guys aren't even close to that. You're somewhere around 130 tests per million.

The really interesting part is that the actual numbers in the US that are being quoted are very closely matching the predictions. If anything, the predictions are below the actuals a bit. That means that the model being used is somewhat on track. Now, don't get me wrong... the models being used are insanely primitive... there are so many factors that go into a solid model for this it's not even funny... population density, air quality, climate, ethnic behaviour, healthcare quality and access, and on and on. But for quick, back of the envelope calculations, they're pretty fucking close right now.

I know that everyone that I've talked to at FEMA, CDC, Public Health, in both the US and Canada, that are in a position of authority and dealing with this shit for a living, are scared as fuck. People who think it's not as bad as people are saying will have a bit of a wake up call soon, I think.

But it's all good... we can just sit back and watch.

Worst game of "told you so" ever.

12. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm genuinely curious, how many if these people have you talked to? We talking a few nurses and @downndirty , or you have serious connections in all of these organizations. Cause that's how it comes across in this post.

Really, how connected are you, Net?

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

We’re working with those groups to provide big data modeling, interpretation and visualization. We are in direct contact with the Canadian PM’s office on this, working with the top epidemiologists in Canada, and we’ve now extended that to provide that same help to FEMA (we have a call tomorrow with their statisticians and data scientists).

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And now the Red Cross is joining us tomorrow.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There is an eerie aura of seriousness in the air now, that is obvious anywhere I go now. Besides overall road traffic being pretty shockingly decimated, people aren’t even parking cars next to each at stores without being told to do so. People and businesses are maintaining “safe spaces” that would make a liberal arts college sophomore jealous. Some folks I see and hear are acting huffy about these minor unconvinced, but keep up that attitude you’ll be sorrrrrrrrrry.

16. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, I don't know what "as bad as people are saying" actually means. If it's 5.5 million dead in the US, yeah I doubt it, and I fucking hope not. If it's 50,000-100,000 dead that seems more likely, but of course I don't know and I'm not sure anyone really does given how new this virus still is. Do we even really know what the mortality rate is right now? We don't know how many are infected, but undocumented.

I have to ask though Nett, if your government is so sure our government is completely fucking this up, then why are we the last country to have 'mutually agreed' travel restrictions with? If our response is so much worse compared to everyone else shouldn't this have happened way sooner than 3 days ago (and didn't even go into effect until today)? Yes, we are major trading partners, but that lack of action given the alleged mindset doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially considering the bans/recommendations that just went into effect don't even impact trade.

17. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@Crown Royal

Noticed the same. Took a walk this morning and while there were a lot of people out, I'd say about half of them would say "Hi" and the other half would walk by like you weren't there.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Because Trump threw a fit.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

20. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well to get away from Coronavirus, or infecting Canada, or Trump's fits, or whatever is going there for a second, what do people think about the democrat race for the moment? It probably is over, but goddamn, some of these lies from the last debate were really, I mean really blatant.

https://twitter.com/josephsakata/status/1239561161583910912

There is no spinning that. That's just outright fucking lying, and the media obviously going out of their way to cover it up. Man, I hate that bullshit. I guess Biden didn't drool on himself and looked more or less aware of where he was, which ok - better than it could have been, but yeesh.

Biden's lead has dropped to about half of what it was in the immediate post super Tuesday days. Does that matter at this point? Almost definitely not, especially considering how big it still is, but it somewhat confirms a suspicion I have, in that the primary voters are mostly poorly informed and when they do pay attention are going to be less inclined to vote for Biden. The other thing is that in every exit poll from every single fucking state that has voted Bernie wins on the issues(particularly healthcare), but often loses the vote by massive margins. This voting bloc is so fucking weird.

Really though, Bernie is flat out fucking himself and already has beyond hope. He refused to go all in and really attack Biden. If he does at this point it's too late and will just look desperate and petty. I get liking Biden. Flaws aside he is mostly a likeable person, but fuck man, if you want to win you kind of have to, you know, try to fucking win. While Biden was talking about how Bernie would lose to Trump, Bernie would literally go out and say in interview after interview how Biden could beat Trump(realistically that is not at all a given), knowing full well that electability was the defining issue on voters' minds. I can barely believe that shit.