Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

In the end, I really believe that the Dems are no different than the Republicans... there is no way they want to get money out of politics, or clean shit up, they just want to win to be able to take advantage of it. Bernie legitimately threatens that model with your politics, so why would your career politicians want him in?

2. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

"Issues?"

Reread the last two pages, my friend. No one other than Kampf acknowledged that issues existed. It was a couple of pages pretending that Biden is all there, rather than that the DNC is taking the path that services the status quo.

Biden represents more of the same. Cash remains king, no one gets paid if things actually change, and big money holds sway. Money for all, boys, politics is open for business!

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even if you ignore the possible mental deterioration, he'll still be 78 when he's sworn in; he could drop at any moment. Same would have been true of Bernie (maybe even more so due to his heart condition). Whoever Biden picks as VP is who I expect to be the Democratic nominee in 2024 should Biden win.

4. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I agree with that, of course.

But c'mon. Let's just be open about it here, amongst ourselves. Dude can barely speak.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I can obviously only speak for myself here, but I’m not *that* unhappy with our politics actually.

I hate the way the media has basically become a propaganda machine instead of actually reporting on the news. I don’t like how politics has divided the country instead of brought us together. I am embarrassed by trump and those who voice support for his dangerous, sexist, racist and illegal actions (the argument that he was trying to shake things up is valid, and I don’t discredit those who voted for him on that basis). I wish there wasn’t so much potential interference in the elections by outside actors like Russia; I wish the electoral college was replaced by popular vote. I also think healthcare could improve, especially the way insurance handles it, but it is still largely incredible... Hell, I quite literally wouldn’t be alive to type this if it wasn’t.

I of course wish marijuana was legalized at least medicinally and that I paid less in taxes. I wish the Supreme Court didn’t have lifetime appointments and that the House and Senate didn’t try to weaponize their votes and rather actually listened to the people who voted for them. But far as how I am impacted on a day to day basis?... yeah, I’m fine with the way it is. It’s working. At least for me.

That’s why I’m happy, if not downright elated, to have a candidate who is more in the middle. Sure, there is a lot of money behind him. There’s a lot of money behind everyone in politics. It’s a messed up, evil, greedy game. No one plays it with clean hands.

There are a lot of valid reasons to support Bernie. But for me at least, with Sanders the bad far outweighs the good. It’s a different calculus for everyone though. Sadly I don’t think many realize that just because they might be right about what’s best for them, doesn’t necessitate that someone with opposing views is wrong.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Every public ad hoc engagement he's had has been a bomb, from what I've seen... from his appearance on The View, to Fox News... he's just not able to speak coherently.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Bernie is now on life support. His campaign, I mean.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Then the debate should interesting, two senile seagulls screaming at each other.

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A lot of the Bernie bro’s are “so online” they forget that the real world exists outside of reddit and that if you look at the percentages of the voting population showing up to the polls, the loudest people online made up only 8% of the vote in places like Michigan. They forget that retweets =/= votes. “HOW COULD BERNIE LOSE SO BAD??!!1! My entire twitter feed supported him!”

Now they say shit like “Biden better work to earn my vote or I’m staying home.” Newsflash, you weren’t going to vote in the first place.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Their father is a tablet, their mother is a smartphone and they were born into social media. These people only know how to live inside their bubble. They don’t want to take five second to ASK why this person is voting for So-And-So, they just want to attack them for not being on the same team.

You know who they’re comparable to? Scottish soccer fans. You watch a game between the Celtic and Rangers and tell me that’s not a modern voter’s mentality: death to everyone but us.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m amused that they are now claiming, like the Republicans have for decades, that main stream news outlets are in the DNCs pocket and are actively working against the Bernster. Welcome to the party pal! Funny how one minute they are the vaunted 4th estate and the next when the negative narrative is pointed at their preferred candidate it’s game over.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There’s too much emotional investment in politics nowadays, when people lose they don’t exactly do it well like Max Halloway. More like Kanye were he on a Vicodin drip. Times infinity.

13. doomrider7

doomrider7
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

To be fair, it's because a lot of them see their livelihoods at stake with regards to climate change, the economy, LGBTQA rights, and M4A. Everything else is dead on though. They don't seem to understand that the world is actually VERY complicated and that their often times belligerent behavior and unwillingness to compromise or moderate makes them incredibly unappealing to associate with.

14. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

I'm now sad. As noted, I was a reluctant Bernie supporter. I have both left-wing and right-wing folks on my Facebook so I get to scroll down and see a slice of both zeitgeists. What. A. Fucking. Shitshow. What I have learned is that apparently if Bernie were to have won, Joseph Stalin would rise from his grave, take all my shit away, throw me into the street, hyperinflate our currency to Zimbabwe levels, and starve the entire country. On the other hand, if Trump wins again, then all my LGBTQ acquaintances and friends will be rounded up and put into concentration camps (one posted - no shit - that she was planning to make final arrangements because she 'fully believed' that this was going to happen to her) and mandatory vagina monitors will be installed on all women.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) any president is limited to accomplishing, at best, about 20% of what they set out to accomplish. I would have been OK if Bernie accomplished 20% of what he said he would. Because that's like a semi-reasonable political market correction. Why do ostensibly intelligent people believe that any of these people will be able to fully deliver on any of their promises?

So we get Joe Biden, who will be able to accomplish 20% of what he sets out to as well - which is, frankly, pretty much nothing at all. So, at best, we'll get 20% of nearly nothing. Sigh. Granted, well-meaning do-nothing presidents haven't been the worst thing for the country and are usually better than presidents that go around actively trying to fuck everything up for everybody. But still, amazing that this is the best we can do.

I read an interesting statistic today: in 2016, 1.7 million people voted - but left the choice for president blank. In the grand scheme of things, that's not a lot...but it also is.

The US is too big or something. It's really 14 different countries all stitched together. Maybe it's ungovernable.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wanted Jay Inslee, Sherrod Brown, or Sheldon Whitehouse, but two of them didn't run and one got creamed. But given where we are now, tell me they wouldn't be exactly the boring white guys masking some progressive ideas the Democratic base is looking for.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Biden just said he will pick a woman for a VP. Watch him pick clinton.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Code for, "We dont like not knowing what you're doing."

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Quarantining people was so successful they tried to quarantine math itself.