Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stop name-calling fellow board members.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Banned for a week for the same shit you've been warned about too many times before.

Next ban will be a month.

I've fucking had enough already.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

this is what I’m excited for. There’s so much negativity and name calling and us vs them in politics. It’s enough to drive a man crazy. Can’t we all just sit around and appreciate the pure comedy that’s going to be a trump vs Biden debate? It’s going to be like a Monty Python skit. Except, you know, real. And with potentially horrifying consequences.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If they actually are held.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There is a reason why people like my circle of friends always have “gentlemen’s agreements” not to get into politics while hanging out. Anything that attacks a person’s core beliefs fires them up to a point where they WILL swing on somebody they’ve known for multiple decades simply because they don’t see things eye-to-eye. I remember well that my parents, who were hardcore Progressive Conservatives didn’t only hang out with other PC voters. The had liberal friends and New Democrat friends, but they got along as friends because politics never seemed to be conversation points. It was ONE segment of the nightly news, it wasn’t every segment, every day, 24-7.

You need to know how to make mental deep breaths when you discuss it, or it drives everyone up the wall. Add booze to the mix and the boiling point is almost assuredly in the mail.

6. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have the same thing with my friends. Most of the time though since Trump’s been elected one of my friends will inevitably drink too much and go on a tirade soliloquy about how Trump is a dictator ruining democracy. I try steering the conversation away as best I can. My biggest struggle of the past few years has been controlling my news intake from the media and social sites. Cutting it way back has limited the online arguments and the background stress it creates.

I’ve lived through 4 consecutive worst presidents of all time, that I was old enough to comprehend, according to what the opposition party was saying. Focus on something you can control and enjoy.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I’ve been sitting in bars in the past and watch people get fired up into displays of absolute cartoonish anger comparable to Mel Gibson tape #4 while arguing politics. Like, standing up in their chair and shoving a finger in the person’s nose to scream about how improper their thinking is, n a place surrounded by people.

I remember my friend cocking an eye at it, then quietly asking me “Has ANYTHING ever made you that angry, like, in your entire life?” No. No person or thing has ever made me just explode like a overheated pressure cooker in my life. But there are no “deep breaths” in those conversations. It’s zero to 100 drop of a hat as soon as the person insinuates that you’re wrong.

The more they are avoided, the better. Better to stick with waxing nostalgic with past school sports victories and/or fuck stories.

8. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Crown, people with so little poise are action packed with their own issues. Other, more personal issues.

The politics are just a way to vent those deeper things. Vent the spleen.

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I can't imagine the amount of stress they're under. They have to be on all. the. time. Trump does this and it's seen as him being a badass. Biden does it and his dementia is out of control.

Biden is what's known in the gun hobbyist/supporter community as a "Fudd." As in, Elmer Fudd. Doesn't shoot anything that isn't pump or bolt action. Thinks he's supporting guns but doesn't understand why you'd want or need more than a few rounds on hand at any given time. Honestly believes it's possible to be both a proponent of something (the 2A) and at the same time want to severely and unconstitutionally restrict it.

Biden is completely wrong in that clip. But you aren't going to change someone's beliefs over the course of one conversation, and he's doing an impressive job of standing up for what he believes in. Hell, he's not even reading off a teleprompter!

10. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, I'm with Joe. Ban the AR-14s.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That video was rated AR-14 for coarse language and mature themes.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Maybe he meant the Mini 14? And if so, yeah you can go ahead and ban those. They're a fucking bitch and a half to clean and put back together and magazines for them are expensive as all hell. It's funny to me that they're called the "ranch rifle" when a spot of dirt will screw them up.

Also hilarious that Biden loves his hunting guns and is so against AR-15s and AR-10s. They're the ultimate hunting platforms and with a .308 AR-10 you can humanely hunt anything in North America. Only reason you might want a bolt action over one for hunting is that bolt guns can be slightly lighter, and if you're shooting some distance they are a tad more accurate. Though at the distances where a bolt vs. semi-auto really matters, it's (in my opinion) not ethical to take game anyway.

13. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bernie's campaign getting straight murdered tonight.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Biden won Michigan. It’s over folks.

**edit: Yang just endorsed Biden. Bit shocked about that one.

#12294 Revengeofthenerds, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  15. doomrider7

doomrider7
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Missed it, but apparently Biden gave the kind of speech that makes you believe a flying saucer will come down bringing Jesus to resurrect Tupac and Biggie, Prince, Elvis, Tom Petty, Freddie Mercury, George Michael, David Bowie, and the real Paul McCartney for a concert. Basically he gave an absolutely BOSS speech.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

It was pretty solid. You can’t help but feel excited for him. Dude was all but counted out no more than a month ago. Now Sanders isn’t giving a speech and people are speculating he’s considering dropping. It’s an amazing turnaround by any measure. And it’s clear he has the support.

17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yang said he would endorse whoever the nominee was, and in his endorsement said pretty clearly that he believed the math made Biden's lead insurmountable, and thus the presumptive nominee. It's the right move; maybe a tad early, but inevitable either way.

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Btw, given Biden's... shall we say "issues," this might be the most important VP pick in a very long time. Interesting to see who he goes with.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

AR-14's are a thing... an old, obsolete rifle at best, but still a thing.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I also tend to think that a lot of it is backroom politics... they see the writing on the wall, and maybe Biden promised them a position in the new cabinet. I mean, if you run and lose, what are your job prospects like? Makes sense to try and parley your run into some sort of job with the eventual winner, and if it costs you an endorsement, so be it.