Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Last nights debate was more entertaining than the first night. Bernie Sanders is already done. It’s between Biden and Harris.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Having not seen the debates and having no frame of reference to your statement. I still think Bernie has enough die hard supporters to poll top 3 for the majority of the primary. I just have never seen him as being charismatic enough to carry a whole campaign to the finish. It remains to be seen if the Democrat establishment hamstrings him again (Abby Martin on JRE claims the huge field is one way for the establishment to water down his numbers). He certainly hits that Ron Paul niche market well.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That’s pretty fucking sad. Harris should have never made it this far, people are fucking morons for backing that lying clown.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bernie is a fucking arsonist who should run as what he is, an independent.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

You didnt miss anything substantive. The entire thing was clearly orchestrated to favor a few candidates over the others, as usual. It wasnt the battle of wokeness I thought it was going to be and policy positions are just a race to see who can destroy the economy the fastest.

6. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cool, so what is the policy from Democrats going to be? Seriously, I didn't hear anything from any one of the candidates that lead me to believe they were going to do anything to cure the problem. Also, every single person raised their hands when asked whether they would provide healthcare for illegal aliens on day one.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In terms of what was explicitly mentioned, Buttigeig included a line about increased funding for border security as part of his package, and Castro had a more aggressive idea about a Marshall Plan for Latin America to address the root cause of migrants fleeing North. Most of the other candidates were focused on the sexier issue of getting children out of cages, but it can be assumed that they'd mostly line up with the existing Democratic willingness to include enforcement funding as part of a larger reform package.

Healthcare for illegal immigrants is mostly a function of any universal healthcare system which would simply treat all who are present in the United States.

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I genuinely don't understand how it's possible to be this stupid.

9. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What makes this stupid?

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Obama "Ill meet with Iran with no preconditions."= Diplomatic genius.

Orange Man Bad "Anything"= Literally Neville Chamberlain Hitler.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The whole diplomacy of meeting with a dictator just to shake hands aside, the fact that he's trying to set up the meeting via "if Kim sees this tweet." It's not like we have a State Department or anything.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

twitter is the state dept, didn't you hear?

13. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is the intent of that tweet to message NK alone in your opinion?

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the intention was to release some brain gas that had been building up at the G20.

15. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Trump seems to be following the lead of SK's current leadership, trying to bring NK into the fold, so to speak. Decades of sanctions and isolationism certainly didn't do much, and considering how NK earns money (read: scams and illegal shit), it could be worse. I'm no Trump fan, and it seems he likes to pal around with the scum of the planet when it comes to foreign leaders, while antagonizing our allies. However, an American president engaging with NK at this level could potentially mean progress, and there simply wasn't room for it with any other presidency. Time will tell, but I can't think of another president who would want to engage with NK on anything OTHER than denuclearization, Trump seems happy to glad-hand and talk McDonald's.

I'm visiting Canada for the first time, and I'm struck by how...well shit works here. Like small things in public transportation, road quality, urban planning, etc. It's a stark contrast to DC/Maryland. No place like home and all that, but good on ya Canada.

Also, I didn't watch the debate (shudder), but...wasn't the immigrant health care question a bit of a trap? It seems to me either interpreted as 1) similar to how we get treated when we travel abroad or 2) in direct reference to the people at our southern border seeking asylum (https://ijrcenter.org/refugee-law/) who have a right to care while detained for processing. I mean, play stupid games, win stupid prizes, but it's an absurd bit of hubbub even for us.

My take on the candidates:
    Warren-most experienced, most technically qualified, but no shot in hell. Also known as why nerds don't run shit. She would make an AWESOME president in the same way the nerds on your team would make an AWESOME database, just no one knows how to use it...American Angela Merkel, would need a miracle (see what I did there?).
    Harris-getting good traction, but mostly Trump juxtaposition: racism/misogyny in play? Cue black woman...Outside chance, but not enough experience and early exposure is not good. Long shot, but real shot.
    Biden-can win, but won't do anything fundamentally different. Also, no one is excited about goofy ass Joe....It's his race to lose at this point, but he's not going to get new people out to the polls, so it's actually a toss up that he beats Trump.
    Bernie-basically, promises to turn the US into western Europe, for better or for worse. Is uncomfortably right about a couple of things ("Trump's tax cuts cost more than cancelling student loan debt") but no real chance of winning, real chance of spoiling.
    Booty-eight? Butt-egg? Wtf ever. Getting tripped up on his own history. My gay friend warned me about the animosity between gay and black communities, this will only get worse. No real shot, possible VP list starts around here.
    Beto-done as of this debate. No focus, no stance, nothing clearly separating him from the next dude over. Not even worth a running mate spot, because he adds nothing...the Democrats' Jeb Bush, if Jeb Bush couldn't win a Senate race.
    Castro is almost the token Latino of the whole thing. No shot of winning, really big VP shot, especially for Joe-Bi. He's got to do well enough to be taken seriously, but friendly enough to be welcomed.
    Cory Booker-New Jersey. That's the punchline. Not even close to VP spot. At this point, we're just waiting for him to say something dumb enough to get the Key and Peele guys to parody him.
    I can't think of anyone else seriously worth mentioning. It's truly sad this is all we get.

The sickening thing is they just talked shit about each other's "wokeness", as if anyone in the places that Trump won (you know, where they have to win an uphill battle) gives a shit. So it looks like the hope that the Democratic party learned something from 2016, or 2018, or literally anything since like 2010 about how the voting populace feels about identity politics is lost....

16. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    Then you have Tulsi, who is probably the most level-headed and well spoken candidate, yet she gets completely ignored.

17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The problem with this theory is that Trump took the exact opposite tact on Cuba. I think he just likes to be flattered, and no one flatters like a dictator who's trying to play him.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

She’s my top pick. She’s a total package for a candidate that even Republicans could admire in secret, when you take her military record into consideration. But Trump will have her investigated as a terrorist once he finds out she’s not only Hindu, but also lives in Hawaii—- a foreign country.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cuba doesn’t have nuclear weapons. Strategies are going to differ with that force multiplier. But again if Obama had done this you’d be praising him as a diplomatic genius and the republicans would be calling for his head. No one is arguing in good faith anymore. Funny though how the biggest leftist would argue that years of endless hardline sanctions was working against us now are Warhawks because, Trump.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member