Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm referring to the North Carolina law that was struck down in 2016. The Texas law that was (barely) upheld, SB 5, was passed because the prior version, SB 14, was knocked down by the courts for discriminatory effect.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Appealing to morons with identity politics is literally the entire Republican playbook. You don't own a gun, you're a Gun Owner™. The Dangerous and Scary Other is invading our Southern border, and they are not like Us. Science is something done by Coastal Elites and not Real Americans™ who drive Ford Tough™ trucks. We are Values Voters™ who need to protect our family values from the gay members of our families that we kicked out. They're not even real identities, they're just bullshit cooked up in an ad agency somewhere.

3. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

GOOD POINT.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, I'm going to stop defending the republicans for now because I don't even disagree that they suck in their current incarnation, but I can't help thinking there is so many better ways to expose their suckiness than the race angle.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Am I the only one somewhat surprised that there hasn't been anyone from the GOP to announce yet that they're running against trump?

I figure a lot of potential candidates are waiting until the mueller report drops, but I'm still shocked at least one or two haven't gotten a head start on fundraising.

6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, it's only you.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah it's basically just you. A successful primary challenge to Trump would have to first win over the Republican primary electorate (a more wretched hive of scum and villainy you will not find) with zero backing from the national party, and then after having somehow run a campaign that a group with an 80-90% approval of Trump likes more than they like Trump, translate that into a general election victory against an incredibly energized Democratic voter base. It's a near impossible task that no Democrat is going to thank them for trying, and no Republican is going to forgive them for doing. Every Republican with an eye to the post-Trump future is laying low and waiting for 2024.

8. drunkfish

drunkfish
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I just cannot figure out how requiring an ID to vote is either racist or suppressing voters. You must have an ID to drive a car, buy alcohol, get your lights turned on.. It just seems like another ploy to help Illegal Aliens to vote if you don't have to show some form of ID.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't understand this conspiracy theory. You think that illegal immigrants are walking up to polling booths, impersonating a legally registered voter from that precinct, crossing their fingers that said individual hasn't themselves voted yet, and then casting a single vote? You think that in a country where most of the actual citizens can't be bothered to vote, that large numbers of illegal immigrants are risking slam dunk felony convictions and eventual deportation in order to do it? Or do you think they're doing it at the point of registration, in which case they would again be committing a felony in order to enter their name and address into a government database that is scrutinized for exactly that sort of thing? What magical super-civically-engaged illegal aliens with terrible risk calculation skills are we talking about here?

10. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The democrats have this thing on election day where they drive busses around for poor people, cram them into the voting booth, and then promptly them back out on their ass. The ID laws diminish the success rate of this, or that's the complaint anyway.

There are a few places where illegal immigrants are allowed to vote, but it's only on shit that nobody cares about, like the school board.

I know in Obama's first election some illegal immigrants voted according to sources like WaPo, but it wasn't anywhere near enough to matter.

#10090 Kampf Trinker, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  11. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone here think if Beto threw his name in the ring he would become the immediate favorite over all the other dem candidates?

If charisma matters as much to voters in the same way it did with Obama, I see him immediately jumping to the front of the line.

There’s no a whole lot to attack him on, except for maybe lacking high level experience, but I don’t see it mattering too much if he’s in the right place in key issues.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

That depends, does he *identify* as a woman or a person-of-color?

In all seriousness, probably. He was what, a 3-term Congressman? Thats at least something. The fact that Ted Cruz ran hardly any campaign and still beat him should give voters pause, though.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So a BBC Cameraman was attacked and a bomb threat was called to CNN. This is what happens when you have millions of monkeys hanging off your every stupid word.

#10093 Crown Royal, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  14. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Losing to Ted Cruz in Texas doesn’t mean a whole lot across the nation. It was a pretty close race though. Ted Cruz is hated much more thoroughly throughout the rest of the country though. And the national attention that race got was impressive. And the down ticket races around here because of him switched A LOT of seats blue. Even well liked republicans like Ed Emmett, he was a county judge who did great work during the floods and stuff, lost their jobs.

If the dems focus purely on just the demographic they want for the president vs the actual electability of the candidate, they will lose again in 2020.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well the party leadership is going to have to whip the primaries into shape in the next 6 months, because so far the inmates are running the asylum.

16. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What, you don't want your free truckload of money?

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Of course I do, I just want mine before they start renovating every building in the United States.

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can anyone explain to me the hype behind Beto other than
    1. He's not Ted Cruz
    2. If you squint, you can convince yourself he's a white Obama
    ?

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think part of the hype is rooted in disappointment from the last presidential election. A lot of democrat voters hating having to hold their nose to vote for terrible Hillary. And, a lot of swing voters felt like their choice was terrible Hillary or horrible Trump. Beto doesn't appear to be that, and I suspect that voters are happy they won't have to vote for a terrible person and can just vote policy and values.

20. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think people buy into his passion. No teleprompter. Decent looking. He doesn’t have to try too hard to get people to think he’s relatable. Yes he did weird stuff with the dentist on Instagram, but in general, he doesn’t struggle with getting people to see him as natural. I guess he feels more genuine.

Leave policy stuff out of it it. Most people don’t give too much of a shit about what you’re saying as long as people like the way you say it.