Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. drunkfish

drunkfish
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

It is a political football. I don't really care about the wall. Pass a bill that guaranties that only US citizens are allowed to vote and I'd back it to the hilt. No drivers licenses, SS cards, free school or anything else; If you're found to be illegal you will be deported and thats it. There is nothing in our Constitution that gives an illegal alien the right to vote. That is reserved for citizens. Either born or immigrated.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone that looks at a tax refund as some kind of supplemental income that’s depended upon is an idiot. 2 years ago I got a refund. Last year I paid nearly 10K. This year I should get a refund since I bought a house and had a kid. The tax code is enormously complicated, volatile and can change any time. If you desperately need that sizeable refund money, you’re probably a fuck up and not doing your taxes correctly.

As for the Democrats, they’re idiots for taking an anti-border security position. Whether or not the wall is effective is irrelevant. They have a vested interest in not securing and enforcing immigration laws. It’s a blatant voter drive. They may not all directly court the vote of illegals (but many do), but they certainly want their anchor babies to think Republicans hate immigrants and vote D in a couple cycles.

As for Trump, probably a stupid hill to die on. He should be demanding a provisional budget for border security measures rather than the wall itself. He knows the Democrats aren’t going to budge on it and he could have gotten the funding between 2016-2018.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So Trump claimed that he could use the "military version of eminent domain" to get the land along the border to get the wall built. I apologize to the founders for every time I've ever said the Third Amendment was the most useless Amendment in the Bill of Rights.

4. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean I understand that. Lots of people understand that. Doesn’t mean that the rest of the people understands or cares for that matter. If a huge chunk of the population sees these as a bonus and not money the government should have never had in the first place, it’s a bad political position.

If a large chunk of the gop electorate suffers from this, the house and senate will need to override the veto to pass a budget.

5. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe people will start to question the Patriot Act while they are at it.

On one side the argument can be made that this is a critical measure towards national security and obstructing potential terrorist acts. On the other hand, perhaps it isn't a good idea to give the Federal Government this kind of power or concentrate it into the executive branch in such a way as this could happen? Certainly not ok for Trump (seems to be the board consensus) but I guess it was fine with the previous President.

Then again, it isn't as though the Southern border is the sole domain of Mexicans and Central Americans for criminal activity. https://www.indiawest.com/news/glob...cle_74ad2abc-684a-11e8-9559-d33c076aea84.html

Maybe it is a good idea to understand who is coming in and out of the country.

6. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tax refunds are fine, if you'd rather not be bothered calculating your tax liability or worse, end up owing. That's me, I don't care about giving the feds more than I should. The peace of mind is worth it. And no, my annual budget does not revolve around that annual deposit. It is strictly play money.

But I wasn't talking about withholdings, I was talking about the significant changes to credits and exemptions. Speaking for me and mine, it's thousands of dollars that are now taxable. And I'm sure we're not alone. This is the surprise awaiting many other taxpayers, assuming the IRS gets back to work.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Or you know, just provision the money for a border wall.

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yea, but I mean that’s an untenable political position for the dems at this point. Regardless if the wall doesn’t get built.(it won’t) Giving in to his stupid shit after winning the house would look bad. Also because Pelosi has made her unwavering position clear.

Trump is the only person keeping it shut down. The gop is tired of being stabbed in the back by Trump. They only tried to pass budgets before when they had all 3 houses and they knew the 10 dems needed would never sign off on wall money in the senate. If they tried to pass a budget now with bipartisan support, Trump would veto and stab them in the back again. Overriding the veto, would then alienate the Trump base.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well no, the same shit goes both ways. Its not just Trump keeping the government shutdown because its an untenable position for Democrats. Maybe it shouldn't be untenable. Its border security for fuck sake, the last thing that should be a partisan issue. There was 6 years of claims of GOP obstruction of Obama policies. Now its not the Democrats obstructing but the President preventing things from moving forward? Its one way or the other. Or its both in both cases.

The democrats are taking a stance on strategy while Trump is taking a stance on tactics. Wave-lengths that are probably never going to synchronize.

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the inevitable conclusion will be money for security but not for a particular wall. I think Trump’s idea of the wall is cartoonishly stupid. Border security and a wall are not the same thing.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Right, thats what I was referring to with the strategy/tactics point. Trump should budge on the tactics (the wall) but the Democrats need to address border security in some regard.

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dems have already offered money for security, just not the wall. The wall does not have public support and shutting down the government over the wall has even less public support. It's an overly expensive boondoggle that was only thought up by Trump's aides to keep the dumb motherfucker on message of vilifying immigrants during the campaign. The Democrats are absolutely correct to refuse even a dime toward it.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Same goes for Mexico.

14. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait a minute, didn't Trump say that Mexico was going to pay for it?!

15. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes he did.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Well, shit. I guess they had better do what he says. Or else......what, exactly?

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

He'll make a deal. He's a very good deal maker. He uses his words. Big words. The best words.

My wife and I were talking about this yesterday, how if someone will ill-intent really wanted to sneak into the US, they wouldn't do it via Mexico anyway. They'd just go to Canada and go over our northern border which I can only assume is protected by very defense pine trees and moose.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It’s okay though because white people are up there.

If you can convince a bunch of sister-fucking yokels that their real problem is Mexicans, you can get em to vote for you even if the president himself actually employs them at his own home in Palm Beach. I mean he insults his supporters intelligence(maybe not) by telling them a fence around your home is the same as a wall around your country.

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not only employs them, but shields them from Secret Service scrutiny.

20. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You think the republicans are waiting for RBG to croak before cutting Trump lose?