Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What exactly would it take to get that whole "lifetime appointment" thing overturned?

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Probably nothing, despite its existence being idiotic. Senile people with Parkinson’s shouldn’t be having the final say on anything. They should be getting the Early Bird special.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You’ll never see it overturned. Because after this midterm, if things swing towards the dems, they will immediately get comfortable and never vote in a midterm again.

The GOP will always be better at winning in politics through the policies already in existence. As long as the gop keeps winning where it counts, they will continue to put up judges. Lifetime appointments serve them well, even if they get shellacked in an election here and there. At the end of the day, republicans know that voting matters and historically put up good numbers where it matters. Democrats fall in love, republicans fall in line.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Constitutional amendment. Which we should have. It should do all of the following:
    1. Set the size of the court to a fixed number of justices
    2. Set a term length for a seat on the court at 2*X years where X is the size of the court (so 18 years for a 9 justice court)
    3. Guarantee that a term ends in the first and third year of each presidential term
    4. Guarantee an up or down vote of the full Senate on a President's nomination

5. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

1. Agree
    2. Disagree. Lifetime terms, but with a mandatory retirement age like a lot of states do. 72 seems like a good number. Same thing for Congress.

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Without a set term length you get the same kind of gamesmanship you see now where parties nominate super young justices to try and secure longer time on the court, and uneven and/or strategic retirements give lots of nominations to one president and few or none to others. 18 years is plenty of time on the bench for a justice who is nominated in their late 50s or early 60s, and it guarantees that each presidential victory controls two seats; no more, no less.

7. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Just came from voting...20 minutes in and out, nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's a term like any other term. Someone will be appointed to fill the remainder of the term, but it doesn't start a new term. The most likely scenario would be the current president nominates and current Senate confirms the replacement, but you could have an additional layer where the remaining justices have a veto as well or something along those lines.

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is why part of me kind of hopes the democrats take another beating tonight. They already need the rebuilding, a real rebuilding, and they still need a wake call. 2016 wasn't enough. They act like they haven't learned anything over the last two years except how to be cuntier because "they have to".

As far as messaging goes they're still a terrible, very confused party. I don't think I want them to lose, but they kind of still deserve it.

FYI for anyone who didn't know - Obama and Clinton each lost about 60 seats at their first midterm. If the democrats take the house by gaining 30 seats it'll be a historically weak showing for the opposition party. Not really much of a Trump referendum.

Well, we'll find out in a few hours.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

As much as I hope the dems slay it tonight and trump into an epic tweet panic, I really hope florida goes for rick scott. Those parkland kids, and the way the dems used them to prop up their own agenda, pissed me off to my core. That would be a nice little ribbon on top of it tonight.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stop. Voting. Out. Of. Spite.

Without aggressive action in climate change Florida is going to sink into the god damn ocean. Vote for what is best for the state, not to annoy some high schoolers.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

And?

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But I gotta keep my AR when the Florida hoards invade north. Also David Hogg is a peen.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And then your grandmother will move in with you instead of retiring to Boca Raton.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

[​IMG]

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Well I'm in texas so I can't vote there, even out of spite. But it would be fun..... besides, would Florida turning into Atlantis really be the worse thing in the world?

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Watching John King and Wolf Blitzer do election coverage is absolutely exhausting.

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll be honest, I barely even give a shit about the senate race. I voted Nelson because he's the democrat, but if you're going to root against a democrat in Florida pick Gillum. He sucks. A lot. He's never had a real job in his life. Went to a shitty college and then straight into politics. Despite politics being his entire career his biggest post was mayor of Tallahassee where he accomplished fuck all other than raising crime rates and conducting utterly meaningless and annoying public gestures. He likes to blame the cops for everything.

His policies are basically Bernie economics, race baiting, and instead of being likeable like Bernie, he's a corrupt jackass. One of those politicians who are constantly being investigated. He wants a $15 min wage, and then a laundry list of programs he plans to pay for with a marginal corporate tax increase. He uses the word dog whistling nonfuckingstop.

Truth told Florida is a pretty dumb state, but we still deserve better than this, I think. The only satisfaction I will gain if he wins will be watching the broke dumbasses who voted for him get fired in droves if the min wage he wants goes in.

I don't love Desantis, but he has a record of wanting term limits, his environmental policy doesn't totally suck, and he's for the most part reasonable and balanced. Nothing special, but he's better than the fucking clown running against him by a mile.

19. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rick Scott is an unmitigated piece of shit.

20. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I somewhat agree, but just look at that fucking dome.

[​IMG]

He has more forehead than face and it's downright terrifying.