Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lol, I know most of the media hates Republicans, and that most of Fox News hates Democrats, but maybe don't leave it on a voicemail for a candidate?

I thought that was a jokey prank or something, it sounded so obvious. Like, who was she talking to at the end, herself? But, nope, the newspaper fired her, so it was real.

2. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Actually, yes he did. Gave a speech and everything. He basically did what every president does when stuff like this happens, albeit less articulately so because it's fucking Trump.

Really though, why the fuck are we constantly talking about this stuff anyway? People are acting like antisemitism or black rights is THE issue in this country and it makes zero sense. I'm not saying it isn't an issue, but how in the fuck is this more important than climate change, the economy, healthcare, the debt crisis, foreign policy, and so many other issues? Can we be just a teensy bit realistic here and admit that yes, we have problems that need attention, but this isn't the Jim Crow era?

Take the governor race we have here in Florida. Gillum has made this crap his entire platform. Somehow he has millions of idiots (and yes, they are fucking idiots) convinced that they'll have a totally different set of rights if he wins instead of Desantis. It's fucking nonsense.

On the one hand I'm happy more people are motivated to vote, but it's kind of depressing that it's a bunch of mostly irrelevant hate groups motivating so many of them.

3. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Race issues are something these people have direct perspective on and experience daily. Everything else, especially concerning policy, seems out of reach for most to fully understand let alone do anything about.

You're right that it's not Jim Crow, but that's a dodgy way to say racial equality isn't a big ticket issue in 2018

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sure, and it is an issue to a point, but a lot of the inequality is something you can't just fix with a policy. Not everything is about direct racism. A lot of it has to do with the fact that black people had grandparents that DID grow up in the Jim Crow era and as a result had fewer opportunities to pass down. You can implement some affirmative action and whatnot, but it's not like you can just legislate that reality away in a couple years.

As far as the day to day stuff is concerned I'm really skeptical that whoever is holding office is going to make a big impact on people's experiences.

Most importantly though, the democrats can win on a lot of issues they don't even spend a fraction of the time on and it's kind of annoying.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think people are talking about it because we thought we had gotten past it. Yeah we still have the subtle kind of racism that shows up in things like sentencing statistics and career earnings gaps, and we were hopefully working to address it, but we all thought the days of people marching in the streets screaming about Jews and the President openly portraying ethnic minorities as ravenous beasts here to rape our precious white women were behind us. It's not as bad as Jim Crow, but it's a very worrying trend that we'd very much like to stop before it gets much worse.

6. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here’s an unpopular opinion- I don’t vote because I refuse to buy into the illusion of choice.

If the popular vote counted I’d be all over it. However, we have a system in place creating the appearance of choice when in actuality it couldn’t be further from the truth.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You should not have an electoral college, get rid of it. Wyoming does not deserve to have the same power in Washing as California regardless of the rest of the country’s hatred for that state, it’s fucking ridiculous.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

They dont have the same power. Wyoming has 3 electoral votes, California has 55.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The real abuse is in the Senate, where a president elected with a minority of votes and a Senate majority elected with a minority of votes is stacking the federal bench from top to bottom.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What abuse is that? The point of the Senate is to establish an equality of the states in one of the houses.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That is the abuse. The electoral college and the Senate were both designed as measures to force compromise and consensus, but they've been turned into a hammer for the complete opposite; as a way for the minority to shove whatever horrible idea they want down the throat of the majority.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Then California should have eighteen senators, and Wyoming should only have one.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's a different argument than your first proposal to get rid of the electoral college.

14. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is one of the most infuriating opinions to me. There are SO many things on a ballot, and a lot of them are decided by popular vote. Hell, even if you hate literally every candidate, take a stance on ballot proposals. Fuck the level of apathy it takes to decide that nothing is worth voting for.

15. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, surprising to no one, I am spending this cold rainy day knocking on doors and giving people free rides to the polls. I even stocked my car with snacks.

16. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

California also has 53 seats in the house whereas Wyoming has one. If you're going to talk about how stupid a system is you should at least have some idea how it works.

Personally, I like the system for our senate as I don't want small states being completely drowned out. This is more true than ever given the attitude from coastal and bible belt states in recent times.

17. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Unlike POTUS, which requires a modicum of personal charisma and popularity to maximize success while in office, I don't see why SotH needs that - which is why I then ask why Pelosi is a bad Speaker? From what I've read about her she has a lot of behind-the-scenes influence and is very good at ensuring party discipline [to the extent party discipline can be enforced in our system]. It'll piss off Republicans but who cares? McConnell is hated on the left but he's still got his position.

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think at least part of his point is that moderates and independents hate her too. She doesn't need POTUS charisma, but she is a leader/one of the faces of the party and she carries that responsibility quite poorly.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I mean, if youre pissed at the Senate now, just wait until Trump gets his third SCOTUS pick.

20. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Arent we already there?

[​IMG]