Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Guilty is a term used when determining the fate of a criminal prosecution. This isn’t that. In trying to assess the credibility of a potential Supreme Court justice, what we all saw was a petulant child who acted like he was in the principal’s office saying his dad is a lawyer. Not a well-controlled professional. If he truly felt he was being wrongly accused by all of these people, the best possible recourse to clear his name in the most public way possible would be a thorough investigation into the allegations. So now we have one...sorta. If he comes back clear, he should frame the report and put it on his wall. Why not just insist from the beginning on the most thorough way of exonerating himself? Why all the fucking shenanigans?

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Not to mention he lied through his teeth during it.

3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Think about this for a moment:

You've reached the pinnacle of your career. And then out of the blue you're hit with unsubstantiated accusations of impropriety. You're getting death threats. Your wife is getting death threats. Your children are getting death threats.

Would you stoically sit there and address the accusations that you've already answered multiple times?

I imagine most of us would resort to screaming "Fuck you I already answered that. Go fuck yourself."

If he'd reacted any other way, y'all would be condemning him as a psychopath for not showing any human emotion.

4. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's almost like most people aren't capable of sitting on the Supreme Court of the United States and steering history. Who woulda thunk.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will just say this. I have been accused of a serious crime I didn't commit (not sexual assault, a way cooler crime) and I didn't buy Kavanaugh's performance. It rung hollow to me. It registered as little more than a scripted and poorly acted performance.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

You're not wrong.

But is pushing someone to their breaking point by threatening their family an acceptable defense against someone who you politically disagree with?

7. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t think anybody normal agrees with death threats and shit to their families. Same with Ford and her family. It seems death threats and threats of violence are the norm these days. It’s not right, but it’s super easy to do with social media.

I’ve also been accused of shit I didn’t do. I vehemently defended myself when confronted with the accusations, but I never lost my cool. It was at my job a few months ago and my boss openly stated she had no evidence to prove the accusations but she thought they were true. I asked for more details and welcomed her to look further into them. She did neither.

The point is, I knew I was innocent. I asked for more follow up. And she had fucking nothing. And I’m just a shitty regular citizen. I expect a whole other level of scrutiny at the highest levels of our justice system.

8. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No. Do you think I was calling them in or something? Do you think democratic party leaders were encouraging people to do so?

9. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Uh....no? Did I unwittingly accuse you of being behind of some conspiracy ?

10. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean...why would you think that I would be okay with death threats? But either way, I'm not.

11. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

That's where my problem is with this whole thing. Dr Ford and Kavanaugh. If you disagree with someone politically, stick to politics for your argument. Not bullshit sex assault allegations with no corroborating claims.

Both of them have have had their lives destroyed by this and that's wrong. I truly believe Dr Ford had some trauma earlier in her life, but I haven't seen any proof Kavanaugh was the cause. Yet here we are....Kavanaugh is a rapist. If he's not actually a rapist, he's probably guilty of something....look at his demeanor when confronted with sham allegations.

12. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Did I imply you were okay with death threats?

Good for you not being okay with them though.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it too emotional or too scripted or reactionary? They aren't all exclusive, but he can't be all of it all the time. I find it amazing people see lie after lie when he doesn't even know what year he is supposed to be talking about. I suppose "I don't remember" is hard to disprove, but it's not a real compelling claim either. The whole "you react this way or you did it" argument is a lot like the "real rape victims" argument to me.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Here's SNL's take on the hearings.

15. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now Kellyanne Conway is stating she’s been the victim of sexual assault. Not sure why she released this info as it isn’t of any benefit to her base.

I feel terrible for her if it did indeed happen, however she’s credited with “alternative facts”. She’s flat out lied time and time again, zero misinterpretation- blatant deception. I can’t think of a less credible public figure.

She dug her own grave.

16. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don’t know if you realize this, but SO many women have experienced some form of sexual assault.Like, I can think of definitive examples of sexual assault that myself and probably all of my close female friends have experienced. Kelly Ann Conway is full of shit but I would honestly be surprised if she hadn’t experienced some sort of sexual assault in her life.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not believing women is misogynist, shitlord.

18. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, it is. You know who is way more likely to lie about a sexual assault? The dude who did it. There has been a lot of research done about false allegations and they just aren’t that common. So probably your default should be to believe women (and men and people who identify as gender non conforming and children) because odds are, they’re not lying.

And before you all jump on me for destroying men’s lives with no proof blah blah blah, I’m not arguing to send people to jail without due process or anything like that, I’m merely suggesting that your default shouldn’t be PROVE IT YOU CONNIVING WOMAN WITH ALL YOUR ULTERIOR MOTIVES!!!

19. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So the whole “innocent until proven guilty” thing should be thrown out?

I’m all for investigations, but let’s not toss out the very basis of our judicial system for one class of crime.

20. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not talking about in court. That's where you're assumed innocent until proven guilty.

Statistically, according to a number of studies and also the FBI, between 2-5% of rape allegations are false, and these are ones reported to police. So that doesn't account for the 60-80% of rapes and sexual assaults that are never reported. So yeah, I think that the knee-jerk response shouldn't be to treat women like shit and assume that they're making it up. I think the response should be to listen to women and investigate and scrutinize the men they're accusing, not scrutinize the women and refuse to take their story seriously.