Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know fuck all about Brett Kavanaugh. But since when is "the right thing" to charge, try, and convict without a trial or hearing testimony or defense? Maybe he's guilty, but, since he's denied it flatly, maybe he's not guilty? Fucking hell. Innocent until proven guilty is the hallmark of the US justice system, but by God, tell a reporter something and it's goddamn gold.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a large difference between "convict of a felony and sentence to prison" and "not confirm to a lifetime position at the top of one of the branches of government."

The right thing to do here is to make an attempt to get to the bottom of the accusation before confirming, which the Republicans will not do. Republicans do not care if their nominee is a rapist, they do not care if their Senate candidates are rapists, they do not care if their President is a rapist. They simply do not care.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Those standards only apply to criminal proceedings. This isn’t one. People lose jobs, get passed over, have shit put on employment records for far less.

Do I think the timing is convenient? Of course. But the chances he’s actually charged with a crime? Very very small. If he is, then we can talk about innocent until proven guilty. I’d like to hear her story. I’m just tired of these constant cover-ups. Is it truly worth destroying everything your party ever stood for?

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm not saying he's guilty, at all. What I do think is that there's shit being raised that should be investigated, not hidden, before he's affirmed to a life-long position.

Personally, I'm not a fan of his stance on a number of issues, and think that if he's affirmed it would be a step backwards. As a result, anything that could be seen as a legitimate "let's stop and reconsider" point is welcome to me.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Well duh, the name Brett does sound really rape-y.

6. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Would you hire a rapist? Would you hire someone credibly accused of rape? Let’s say you knew all the details of the accusations and they seemed legit, you still gonna look the other way? Why should we all do that? Why should the GOP be allowed to look the other way?

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Edit: Nvm. Everybody's already made up their mind about every story that comes out because of an (R) or a (D). Fuckit.

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You dropped this:

[​IMG]

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They knew about this accusation and hid it. Not putting him up or finding a cleaner judge wouldn’t be hard. Garland went almost a whole year without so much as even a meeting. But a judge with so much baggage gets rammed through as fast as possible before the election? Ever ask why?

Why does common decency and putting up the least impeachable judge possible automatically mean it’s a partisan issue?

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry where are you getting that the Republicans have knowledge of this and hid it? Did I miss this in the NYT article?

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's an assumption based on the fact that a letter from women who knew Kavanaugh in high school came out to support him very quickly after the accusation. One of the signatories wrote in the Weekly Standard that the letter was conceived after the accusation, so take that for what it's worth.

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Full text of the letter sent to Feinstein. She held onto it because the letter itself requested confidentiality.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The “early 1980s.” When she’s been pressed for further details, she can’t give a date or even the year it occurred. She said maybe 1982, but isn’t sure. She also isn’t sure where it occurred or who else was at the party. There’s no one that can corroborate anything she’s claiming, at least not that has come forward. The FBI already stated they aren’t investigating him.

Sounds like weaponized #MeToo bullshit as an eleventh hour ploy, knowing full well how unproven or even disproven allegations can still ruin someone. Another fun precedent by the Democrats that certainly won’t come back to bite them. That never happens.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can hardly be setting precedent months after the successful hit on Franken.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The Franken situation was equally wrong. What was the worst accusation against him? That he took a picture pretending to grab a woman’s boob when he was on a USO comedy tour?

But that’s hardly the same stakes as a SCOTUS nomination.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought it was the state fair picture where the girl claimed she thought he left his hand on her midriff a few seconds longer than she felt comfortable with.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

*Shudders*

In all sincerity, I think there was one that claimed that he rammed his tongue down her throat, not sure where that went though.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That one was about a sketch on a USO tour I believe. And then I think there was video of the moment disproving the allegation.

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She also didn't tell anyone for over 30 years. She told her therapist it was 4 boys instead of two, or her therapist misunderstood her. She doesn't know why she went to the party, and she doesn't know how she got home.

I really have no idea where the FBI would even start with an investigation the democrats are demanding. It's pretty hard to confirm or deny a 35 year old groping anyway, much less when the details are it happened 'somewhere' at 'sometime' at a place belonging to 'someone' that people gathered at for 'some reason'. She's a politically active democrat and a professor. That doesn't mean she's lying, but given how terrible her recollection of the events are I wouldn't be surprised if what happened (if anything happened) wasn't at all the way she remembers it.

Some of the republican congressman are inviting her to testify. Man, that's going to be a shit show. I'm not sure how I would feel about it even if the incident were somehow proven. At the least, I think comparing it to rape is over the top.

My guess is Kavanaugh still gets confirmed unless other women start coming out and accusing him.

The main reason he was out so fast is because every democrat immediately threw him under the bus.

There was a video where she was being really flirty with him on stage during a show. Franken admitted to kissing her without her consent (this happened off stage when they were rehearsing) and said "he remembered it differently" than the way she described it. Looking back, it's kind of pathetic what a bitch Franken was in the way he reacted to all the allegations.

20. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was a complete lose/lose for him. Accusations were made. Deny them and you call the woman a liar. Admit to them and you are a Bill CosbyWeinstein level rapist. As soon as Franken openly called for his own ethics investigation, his accuser backed off real quick and didn't want to testify under oath. They made him resign anyway to make the whole thing go away. In a nuance-free world, every accusation is the same, and every denial is the accused calling the victim an opportunist and a liar. If Kavanaugh's accuser is willing to sit before the senate and answer questions, she should be able to.