Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, California wasn't THAT liberal until fairly recently. Bush got 45% of the vote in 2004. They've been left leaning for awhile, but it was really during the Obama era that they started to go deep blue.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a lot of great quotes coming out of the court transcript. Manafort's lawyers basically tried the defense of "it's not my client's fault that you didn't physically prevent him from violating the terms of his bail" to which the judge responded that "this isn't middle school" and remanded him to custody.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anybody looked at the IG report? It's nothing new, really. It makes Comey look like a terrible director and shows that the Clinton e-mail probe was a joke. Conservatives will go nuts with it - particularly the part about people in the department appearing biased against Trump. I don't know that the fact that they have political opinions really means they aren't doing their job, but expect fox news and co to run hard with that.

5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I guess this would go here....

Some idiot with a gun and a "Tactical Truck" (According to reports) has blocked the road over Hoover Dam.

Capture.PNG

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought they built a new road that goes beside the dam, and the over the dam road wasn't used much?

7. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Maybe? I haven't been out there in about 6 years and I can't remember if I had to go over the cluster fuck that is the dam back then.

It's all moot now. The AZ state police arrested him without incident.

8. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, there's no doubt about it now. We are in a full on trade war with China.

It could get really ugly, and maybe I'm callous, but I'm sick of their bullshit. The constant dumping, the kangaroo courts, the intellectual property theft, it goes on and on. We can't put up with this forever, and I think it's pretty clear that "Hey, stop doing that shit." isn't something they're going to respond to.

If Trump has any sense he'll chill the fuck out with the G7 members. One trade war with a major trading partner at a time is more than enough.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I can’t wait until it hits home just how much shit we buy is from China.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

10. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I'm a supporter of this, but I'll be the first to admit it could turn into a complete fucking embarrassment. People always want change. That is, until they realize the change they want comes with pain and sacrifice to get there. Then they run the opposite direction.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You mean they don’t realize every single thing in WalMart is Chinese? Good thing it isn’t a popular store.

Isn’t there an Apple product or two made over there as well?

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im at a bar on my phone so I cant really get into it, but you guys realize this would be way worse for China right?

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What's the end game here?

It's bad for both of you... that's like saying "sure, we lost an arm, but they lost and arm and a leg... we win!"

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

A little story from when I was in grade school...circa 1970 or so:

Almost everything we bought back then was labeled "Made in Japan." One of my teachers mentioned that China made a lot of stuff too, but we never saw any of that stuff in the USA. I tried to wrap my head around the fact that China produced stuff and that someday we may be able to buy it.

I have no idea what any of that has with the current situation, but before Nixon met with China in '72 there were no Chinese goods sold in this country. None. Zero. Zip.

I'd be curious to know how much of China's GNP is due to exports to the US. I've got a pretty good idea it's multiples of what the US's is to China.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And who do you think owns most of your debt?

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I also have to think that China is so much better set up to weather any economic storm that may come up because the vast majority of their country makes shit for cash, and survives.

There have been quite a few reports about China being the most influential country when it comes to environmental change, because they can go from the absolute asbestos-breathing hell that they are to fully solar powered so much faster than any other country in the world (and they are actively doing that), because they have the large-scale manufacturing and the low cost of doing so and the workforce to pull it off.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/06/chi...th-86-point-5-billion-invested-last-year.html

They have way, WAY more capacity to adapt and change than the US will ever have.

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ill write about it more tomorrow but im curious, why do you think the EU has massive tariffs on China?

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I don't.

20. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well they do.

And China is heavily dependent on exports. They cant offload that shit in the Congo.