Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, he acts pretty fucking gay so I'm sure they picked up on it, but really, there was nothing in his story that demonstrated that that was their reason. The real problem was probably that he has so many jobs he quit in less than month because his boss was a meanie or whatever silly reason and that just looks terrible on a resume, but even so, what would that have to do with Trump? I mean, were these guys just hiring cock suckers left and right and then after Trump took office they totally changed their hiring practices? Really? It's made even more bizarre by the fact that Trump was the most supportive of gay rights of any president ever when he took office. He hasn't quite been that way in practice, but I think a lot of people have forgotten that Obama was against gay marriage in '08 and how much the mentality has changed in the last decade.

Regarding Trump himself though, I have to admit I have a morbid curiosity to see how he would act if the country plunges into a deep recession or something like that. You know, things actually going to shit instead of people just pretending they are. I don't really want that to happen obviously, but watching his ego try to absorb a hit like that and seeing him wildly fling blame at everyone and everything would be so fascinating. Well, if you're fucked up like I am it would be at least.

2. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it would be anticlimactic. If I were him, I would just blame the Russians.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So who wants to chat comedy? This may just be the utter sociopath in me, but I felt like Wolf's performance wasn't mean enough.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have no idea what you're talking about.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just watched it, and thought it was pretty funny. I really found it hilarious when they panned to the audience and you could see all judgy people with sticks up their ass.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Watching Sarah Huckabee Sanders while she was having shit talked about her was gold.

8. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was definitely hit or miss, but when it hit holy shit did it hit. "What's Uncle Tom but for white women who disappoint other white women" was brutal.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think that helps to make a good performance... push the boundaries, occasionally beyond. It means you're trying, and not playing it safe.

The whole thing doesn't have to hit, in my opinion... it's all about the few jewels that come out of it.

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The conservative pearl clutching today has been really rich. They have no issue whatsoever with the way their president has behaved since forever. They openly endorsed a pedophile. But someone made of Sanders’ makeup and you would think she killed a baby.

11. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Conservative *and* liberal. Even media personalities are calling Michelle Wolf out for making fun of SHS's looks even tho she did no such thing. Guess they didn't appreciate her reading them the riot act.

12. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She was the teller of truths last night. When she hit them on how much Trump helped them with their overall sales, it has to have stung.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's been hilarious watching the media and pundits change their positions.

They started off all outraged and offended... only to have it fall on deaf ears. Wellwhaddayaknow... the average joe relates more to what she said than they thought.

Watching them recant and try and realign with their bases is pretty entertaining in and of itself.

I've always thought that journalists have been way too full of themselves... the way they consider themselves to be above everyone else... like they're doing something pure for humanity. Well, that very well may have been the case... but these days? Oh please...

Speaking on non-journalists... her dig against Hanity was hilarious, and actually elicited a pretty good reaction from the crowd.

14. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What I hate most is how they blather on as if they're experts on subjects they know absolutely nothing about. Recently, before Trump put the tariffs on I was trying to find information on how likely it was to happen, what they were going to be set at, what countries it would include, etc. I work for a distributor so it's kind of relevant to my job to know those things.

Now, to be fair to the reporters Trump is a nut so I'm not expecting they can predict what he'll do, but mostly they didn't even attempt to report on the information that was actually relevant to people. It was just a bunch of ramblings about their opinion on a subject they clearly knew fuck all about. It's like dude, I don't give a fuck if you got your journalism degree from Harvard, or Columbia or wherever. Good for you, but how about you shut the fuck up and let people who actually know the subject matter do the talking.

I swear, for most of these jackasses I really don't think they're qualified to do much other than google factoids and vomit them out in an attempt to convince people that what [insert politician] is doing is good or bad.

I suppose it's kind of my fault. If I was subscribed to the economist, the wall street journal or a publication like that I'm sure they had articles that were worth a shit.

Circling back to the point you're making, it's especially cringe worthy to see that holier than thou noble informer of the public bullshit when the information they're oh so informative on is actually nothing other than mindless drivel pulled out of their ass because they either like or don't like the person enacting a policy.

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is one of the things I appreciate about Maddow's format. While we're all really used to the adversarial interview (Frost/Nixon for example), just as important is the cooperative interview, where the journalist's job is to help an expert explain a subject in a manner that's digestible by the audience. I've seen Maddow do this on a number of occasions. Compare this to CNN's format of having Anderson Cooper try to wrangle four shit-flinging monkeys, none of whom have expertise outside of partisan hackery and gross punditry, and the former's value becomes immediately evident.

16. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe I should give her another chance then because in my opinion that's exactly what journalists should be doing with subject matter like that. Sure, the other types of reporting have their place, but it doesn't make for good journalism to apply it across the board.

I kind of feel bad for Anderson Cooper. I think he actually is a good reporter, but CNN has practically turned him into a Jerry Springer referee at this point. At least he gets to take a big fat check home.

I didn't think Wolf's monologue was particularly funny, but I still enjoyed it. The media roasting was great, and I never get tired of them acting like it's not their fault they've lost so much respect.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The money they make per hour as a guest expert/commentator is obscene too.

I’ve not watched a correspondent dinner before but I assume Seth Myers’s was a little less hyper partisan? You could feel the handful of jokes directed at the left were for the ‘see I’m skewering both sides!’ angle. Don’t really care about the blueness or “mean spirited “ of her routine I’d say she could have gone further like Atiues. Over all it wasn’t really that great of a performance, maybe she’s new to roast but it definitely not natural for her.

18. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

My personal favorite was (paraphrased) “So CNN...you like breaking the news, huh? Well congrats, you broke it!” The Uncle Tom-sanders joke was a close second.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Or how after she made fun of Chris Christie for being fat, the camera panned to him and he was devouring a piece of pie off his fork.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member