Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Last August Musk said 63000 had cancelled Model 3 orders. Can't find any numbers since then but I'd been stunned if it wasn't much higher.

2. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

On a half million preorders, with well over a year long wait time.

To me, that is the brand loyalty I’m talking about, because that seems nuts.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not so much brand loyalty as wanting the latest shiny tech piece, this one just goes in the garage.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I would absolutely love to own one of those particular shiney tech pieces. They are gorgeous cars. And you can get around in them now . I saw one with South Carolina plates here the other day.

6. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone know how much business Amazon is giving the USPS? And how much they would lose if Amazon decided to not use USPS at all anymore?

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The Postal Service reported a net loss of $2.7 billion for 2017. It has lost $65.1 billion since 2007. Much of the red ink is attributed to a 2006 law mandating that USPS pre-fund future retirees’ health benefits.

First-class mail, the USPS’ biggest source of revenue, also continued to shrink, seeing a $1.87 billion revenue loss in fiscal year 2017.

Package delivery, however, was one of the few bright spots in its latest financial statement. In 2017, parcels brought in $19.5 billion, or 28 percent of USPS’ annual revenue. At $2.1 billion, packages contributed the largest revenue increase.

Deals with private shippers like Amazon accounted for $7 billion of the $19.5 billion in revenue. While we know that Amazon is the biggest e-commerce player, we don’t know exactly how much of the $7 billion comes from Amazon, because the details of the postal service’s deals with private shippers are considered proprietary and not made public.

USPS ships about 40 percent of Amazon’s packages. Amazon bulk-delivers packages to a USPS distribution center, and the Postal Service brings it to your door. USPS negotiates the discounted rate for that service with Amazon, as it does all other bulk shippers.​

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

http://ir.tesla.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1062670

In the past week they've now grown production past 2,000 cars per week. Below the initial 2,500 per week goal, but still pretty damn impressive growth.

The biggest bottleneck was with the Gigafactory battery assembly, but they're almost done spinning up the huge line they acquired from their partnership with Panasonic, which should greatly increase production.

Tesla is not just about a spreadsheet when it comes to investing. Musk is a visionary who people are willing to support. He wants to change shit on a macro scale, and is actively doing it.

Valuating a company can be done a million different ways, so what may seem overvalued to some may seem undervalued to others.

Apple had Jobs, Tesla/SpaceX has Musk. That is definitely worth something.

There's a reason no other car company pre-sold half a million cars... and it's not just "oohhh... new shiny tech."

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think this whole thing is about Trump hating Bezos.

Bezos bought the Washington Post, and they're super critical of Trump, so he's lashing out in a way that he thinks will hurt Bezos.

The dude is a schoolyard bully, and is playing to his strengths.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You should convince Musk to solve the big data crisis that’s swinging elections. Two birds one stone.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I think the whole reason he wanted to be president was to enrich himself and punish his perceived enemies. He doesn’t care for the actual “job,” he just likes the power it provides him.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

More likely it was just pure narcissism. He has no substance outside of crowd adulation spouting off platitudes.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He has started down the right path...

He deleted his corporate facebook pages for Tesla and SpaceX.

If you don't participate, then they don't get the data from you, and you won't see the bullshit propaganda.

He's off doing constructive shit that takes up all his time, not living in Facebook all day. THAT is the real solution.

So many people have become addicted to social media as pure followers... they're not creating anything. Same people who sit down and watch TV for 8 hours a fucking day.

15. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I get the love for Musk, I really do. The guy is a visionary. But I think it has clouded peoples judgement in regards to Tesla's production problems and the valuation of it's stock. But I could be wrong, we'll see.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Honestly, I have no clue about valuations... I can never really seem to understand why some companies are valued so highly, and other so lowly.

What I don't really get is all the hate for Musk, and the desire to see him fail that you read about in a bunch of publications.

People shitting on the "Tesla Fanbois" like it's a bad thing, when I tend to think that you've really succeeded as a company if you can evoke that kind of a following.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

18. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don’t understand it either. It’s the same as people who are fighting tooth and nail against autopilot in cars.

The technology has a long way to go. But I don’t think people understand just how bad we collectively are at driving, how much fuel is wasted and how many accidents are caused (and subsequent traffic and therefore more wasted gas).

With many of these things we just seem to focus on the issues and let perfect be the enemy of good. I think the mentality should be striving for ways to advance these types of technologies rather than pointing out problems and as Nett said, cheering for failure because we seem to hate any bit of arrogance in successful people.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anybody who has ever been a 16-year old driver or the parent of a 16-year old driver should put everything they can behind supporting this. Imagine a day when buying a car with self-driving mode is like deciding whether or not you want power windows. Now, your 16-year old gets to sit behind the wheel and "drive" for a year, watching the robot perform all the moves better than them, learning. Imagine how much safer the kid would be, how many fewer accidents there would be, and how unemotionally educated they would be. Then, they can choose to drive themselves or not from there. They still get the freedom of going where & when they want with their friends to the skate park or arcade (shut up, I learned to drive in the 80s), and it's a lot better for everyone on the road and the parents at home when they're late for curfew. And, safer to get blowjobs.