Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Then you need to raise the the voting age to 21 and the draft. You are either trustable at 18 or you’re not.

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There definitely have been law enforcement failures, but there is also something to be said for the fact that there's not much law enforcement can do legally do before someone acts. There was a random stabbing in my hometown recently, and it came out that the police were aware of the perpetrator to the point of following him when he went out at night (small town cops got time and money to burn, yo). Even then all it took was a brief period during the day when they weren't following him for him to kill someone. Unless we want 24/7 surveillance on every weirdo we've got (and we've got a lot of weirdos) I don't know what law enforcement is supposed to "do" when someone tells them Creepy McNeverBathes is creepy and never bathes.

3. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You must have skipped over the part of my post where I clearly stated "I see no problem with talking about some tighter controls". I have no problem with raising the age to 21 and not selling AR 15s at sporting good stores. This does not require new Federal laws, is very simple to implement, and seems reasonable and rational. I was mainly referring to the ultra left wing, ban all guns at all costs CNN crowd. I've always thought it was strange that 18 is considered "legal age" The human brain isn't fully matured until 25. I was a screwed up moron at 18, 19, and 20 as are most of us. It wasn't until I was at least 25 before I knew my ass from my elbow and actually was able to start forming a real life.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

It’s funny, there was just a study released that gun violence is the lowest it’s ever been. I’m assuming this will be ignored by both sides. It would be unfair to lay that entirely at the feet of gun control advocates. Both sides rely on a large degree of security theatre to prop up their positions. The more extreme 2nd amendment proponents want to arm every single man, women and child to have shootouts like the OK Corral. That statistic oddly does harm to the extremes of both groups.

5. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The issue with gun violence now is that its white kids shooting other white kids. The kids from the Wire killing each other was a long time ago. Gun violence peaked in the 90s for a lot of reasons, but the.public shootings have only increased without the typical motives for murder. Why?

Perhaps the common thread here is these shooters are isolated, then radicalized?

Perhaps the thread isnt guns but these shooters (and bombers...and drivers) are more easily able to disconnect and dehumanize their victims?

Perhaps this issue is a generation of men and boys.that realize how fucked they are and lash out against the softest spot they can draw blood from ?

At any rate, count my liberal ass as someone who thinks restricting access to.guns is not worth the effort. Buying a gun might get harder, but it doesnt address our societys version of suicide bombers...and it might make it worse.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Obviously you are both in America. Because at 18 you’re old enough to get your ass shot off, but not old enough to buy a beer.

7. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have no issues with any of that either. What's the big deal?

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Except the vast majority of gun related murders are still Wire style inner city violence.

I got nothing against it. You’d have near universal opposition to them except the gun one simply of emotions alone.

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the focus on the AR-15 makes sense only if you look at it in a bubble, as the gun of choice of mass shooters as of late.(The shooters seem to be using it more so lets ban it type of mentality) The reason why it is chosen so frequently is economic in nature. It's the least expensive gun you can get that can do what it does. Sure, there are other semi auto rifles. But can they be had for $500?https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...oloading/Ruger+AR556+.223+16.1+FLD+30R+BLKSYN

Not routinely. And the ammo is cheap. You can get .223 and 5.56 rounds for practically nothing. Change the caliber to 308, and here are the prices.
    https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/cat...i-automatic/308-winchester-and-762x51-nato.do
    I'm using 308 as an example. And the rounds are twice as much for a box of 20. There is practically no recoil when firing it which makes follow up shots effortless.
    The market for AR-15's is flooded and they really only start to get expensive once you start to modify them or when you buy one from a high end manufacturer. The uppers and lowers and modular so most any upper and lower can fit together.

10. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Trump somehow managed to find something even more inappropriate to reveal to a 20-something woman in his employ than his penis.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Mattis is pretty much the only good hire he’s had at all. The Mooch was what, eleven days of glory?

#5413 Crown Royal, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I saw the funniest post the other day where they measured all Trump staff tenures in Mooches. It was hilarious.

15. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Arming teachers is such a stupid, stupid fucking idea.

What are the odds a student gets a hold of the teacher's gun because they were irresponsible with it and kills someone?
    Or a teacher who's already stressed out snaps and starts waving it around in frustration?
    Or a teacher/student takes it out of the school and uses it for a completely unrelated crime?

Guarantee everyone of those scenarios happens multiple times before an active shooter is ever stopped by an armed teacher.

And say it does happen that an active shooter situation does occur at a school with armed teachers. How many teachers shoot each other or innocent students by mistake? And when the SWAT team does show up and start shooting everyone with a gun, because they are trained to, how many armed teachers get taken out by them because they're in a panic and didn't drop their weapon?

Teacher aren't cops. They aren't trained in combat and never, ever should be. You want militarize your school system? You want the same kind of power hungry assholes that become cops just for the power of having a gun becoming teachers now?

There's so much wrong with that idea.

16. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The whole concept is offensive at the most basic level. No money for school supplies, but let's scrounge up $67 million for school weaponry. Christ almighty.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

In my entire academic life, I cannot ever think of a single teacher with whom I would trust a gun.

How about we just get families more involved with what the fuck their kids are doing?

The root of this is bad parenting, not gun control. The problem is you can't come out and call someone a bad parent and blame them for doing a shitty job raising their kid as easy as you can say, "guns bad!"

18. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw that we're back to blaming violent video games for school violence and thought how cool it is that time travel technology exists. Because we're clearly back in 1999.

Has there ever been a generation of older folks who haven't tried to pawn off their shitty parenting on something else?

Nowadays, violent video games. Go back a bit and it was rock and roll. And then comic books and so on.

For added fun, these are the people that decry how nobody else can take responsibility for their actions nowadays.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Refresh my memory: What were the violent video games that Stalin used to play?

Parents these days certainly have no business blaming video games, because they fucking played Mortal Kombat and Eternal Champions when they were kids.

They want to blame something? They should try looking in the mirror instead.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's not the parents, that I've seen, who are blaming video games... it's all the old GOP gun nuts who are trying to deflect the attention that the NRA is getting right now. They don't know anything different or new so are pulling calls from their old playbook.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-blame-for-school-shooting-says-kentucky-gov/

Then Trump picked up on it and is now meeting with video game execs to talk about it.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/01/trump-meeting-video-game-execs-school-violence/

Forget actually paying for proper research into what is going on, instead, just jump to incorrect conclusions, assume they are the reason, and then actively do something with respect to that... misdirection complete!