Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

That's not irony. That's not even anything, those arguments are completely orthogonal -- our willingness to accept immigrants and the economic status of their country of origin are not anything like directly correlated.

I want my President to be able to engage in diplomacy. It is a fundamental part of the job, not something invented by the PC police. And Trump all but admitted he said the word shithole.

Don't even get me started on people acting like Africa is one medium-sized neighborhood instead of 54 completely different sovereign nations. By his standards, Norway shouldn't accept people from New York because there's a lot of crime in Bogata.

2. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can take you to school laces in both Kentucky and West Virginia where this isn’t out of ordinary.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/dick-durbin-confirms-trump-shithole-comments/

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free... just not from shitholes.”

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Senator Dick Durbin (D, Illinois) has confirmed, and Senator Tim Scott (R, South Carolina) has said that Senator Lindsey Graham (R, South Carolina) confirmed it to him as well. So yeah, Trump said that shit.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Watching the media cover this reminds me of the South Park episode where the writers were green lighted to use the word "Shit."

I can't wait until it comes out that Trump called someone a "Fuck stick" and watch the media go nuts printing/saying the word "Fuck."

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched a white guy drop two hard-R n-bombs in Don Lemon's face and no one batted an eye. Shit got crazy.

8. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I guess I haven’t had enough coffee today because I’m missing your point entirely.

9. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same for Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi.

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like how everyone who is defending the statement is making it out to be as if people are upset about the use of profanity or as if leftists are being self-righteous about a coarse characterization of poor countries full of brown people. Instead of what he’s saying about the people who live in these places and how they are less worthy of seeking a better home.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Uncouth and offensive as it might be. It raises the bigger issue. Do we get any say in structuring our immigration in ways that benefit our country economically without being told we're racist xenophobes? Despite the non binding poem at the base of the Statue of Liberty we can't be the never-ending dumping ground for the world's poor without some eye, some negotiation, at all, of limiting it in scope that is in our interest. The left has never been intellectually honest about this since their long game includes importing a never-ending voting base for themselves. They'll give lip service to border and job protections but have always gone back on it in practice. They were supposed to pass funding for a wall when Reagan granted amnesty in the 80s, that never materialized and each effort since has been the same.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You said it yourself... limit the immigration based on economic benefit to the US, and don't base it on race. Don't give a shit about where they come from, ask what do they bring to the table? You make it sound like anyone from Africa is broke.

13. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe some of them Nigerian princes can come here.

14. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’d like to see your source on this Regean wall thing. A cursory search isn’t turning anything up.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got a couple of their email addresses. Should I reach out?

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He’s said “fuck” many times into the mic while campaigning. There’s probably a compilation of it. Once again, people only pretended to care, then just sat there and took it. Just like they always will.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry, not a wall, but border protection and enforcement (particularly of employer penalties), of his immigration act never came to pass. A short run down. We've just let more in and the cycle continues. DACA is a short stop gap for kids under 16 brought in before 2007, the next group post 2007? Guess we'll have to pass legislation for them too lest we be heartless racist, never mind the 11 million or so that came as adults. Plenty of blame to go around as far as the political hacks in Washington bumbling the issue. But an issue that has been simmering so long without resolve that it was only a matter of time before a destroyer was brought in from another dimension like Zuul* that would be the exact opposite of what the left wants. It could have been avoided altogether if they'd have really compromised YEARS ago.

*(sorry to go all Crown here, but Trump really is the stay puft marshmallow man in this situation)

18. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If a person is born poor, does that mean that’s all they’ll ever be?

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Nope, just ask Carlo Gambino. But if a person is born rich, that’s all they’ll ever be.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Somewhere Bill Clinton is playing the sad sax about "merely" lying under oath about getting a blowie.

If trump lied under oath, his supporters would spin it as proof he's just a common married man. "Who among us would not lie about having an affair to save our marriage? See! He's just like us!"

Also this. I see no reason why the US should not have a much tighter immigration policy based upon benefit to the US, and I'm very much in favor of securing our border (specifically the swiss cheese canadian border). However, it's complete bullshit to make country of origin part of that policy. That's like saying you were born in a bad neighborhood therefore you too are a criminal. Or your parents didn't graduate high school therefore you won't amount to anything either. Yeah not quite.