Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think that the NFL and team owners are too afraid to do anything right now... they are suffering from that big corporation behaviour of "shit, can't piss off the Social Justice Warrior who just got offended and posted about it to Twitter"... in that they aren't going to do anything that might piss off that person.

That will change, I believe, once more and more typically non-vocal people (like myself and ToyToy), start vocalizing about how it pisses us off.

And it's already happening.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/pittsbu...m-during-national-anthem-reports-say/12460379

Causing political bullshit at a game by kneeling during the anthem? Fine... we're not giving you that chance... stay in the dressing room until it's over.

And how's Kap doing these days? How's his NFL career looking?

2. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That's the risk he was willing to take by doing this. I don't think the fact that someone's career was ended because they took a stance against police brutality is something to gloat about. But to each his own.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm not gloating, I'm pointing out what should be obvious.

You are well within your rights, as an individual, to express your thoughts and take stands and protest things you think are wrong.

Other people, and corporations, are well within their rights to have nothing to do with you as a result.

Welcome to the consequences of ones actions. Too many people seem to think that they should be immune from such things because of the moral high ground they are taking with their protest, but nope... like you said, he risked this outcome, and it came to be.

4. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think you and Toytoy are on the wrong side of history. I'm sure sports and entertainment in politics go back further than I know but I think about Jesse Owens at the Berlin Olympics and I think about the Hollywood blacklisting and McCarthy and the fear of Communism. I believe it's hard to disagree that both of those occasions were positive events with regard to the respective political climates.

There's no guarantee every event will have such influence but we can't predict history though I feel pretty safe in saying Trump will go down as one of (if not The) worst presidents in the history of this country.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you're equating Kap kneeling during the anthem in a US sporting franchise with what Jesse Owens did with Hitler on a globally discriminating stage, then I think you're on the wrong side of math.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  7. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

By that measurement then there will never be anything to protest again.

Do athletes need to stick to sports if they were protesting to bring attention to the genocide going on in Africa currently? What meets your standard of interrupting your viewing of football?

The bigger problem now is instead of discussing what they are actually trying to bring attention to we now have to debate how they are bringing attention to it.

8. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Put it this way:

Say you go to McDonalds wearing a Bernie shirt and the employee taking your order tells you "He's a Communist. Make America Great Again." How would you feel about the place with whom you are trying to simply do business telling you about how your political stance is wrong? Would you continue to go there to have a dose of politics rammed down your throat with your Big Mac? Or would you just take your money to Burger King instead?

Everyone is free to protest on their own time. When you do it at your companies place of business, then it's a whole different game.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nothing should be brought into the game other than the game. I have a fucking hectic and busy week, and I just want to sit back and enjoy some sports without any of the bullshit drama around it. Doesn't mean I don't care... doesn't mean it's not an issue... it just means that I don't want to be subjected to anything other than football while I watch football. Call me crazy.

If you want to talk politics or genocide or other shit, then do so outside of the game... there are plenty of forums for that kind of thing.

If anyone tries to tell me that I'm not allowed to have that opinion, they can go fuck themselves, and be labelled a hypocritical piece of shit.

It's funny how people tend to lose sight of the fact that the NFL's ONLY job is making money. They don't give a shit about anything, other than... making money.

Players are killing themselves because of concussions? Let's kill off that research once we start getting info we don't like and downplay it.
    We fight for cancer! Well, not really... we made a shit-ton of money on a whole new set of pink merchandise that we manufactured and sold, with less than 6% of funds actually going to the fight for cancer.

If you get in their way of making money, like dragging politics into it, then they will shut it up and not allow it, or not endorse or promote it.
    As is their right.

10. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wonder why people who are only in it “for the game” don’t just turn it on at kickoff time.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The problem is that a huge amount of the sports commentary then becomes focused around the politics, and not the game.

Nobody is talking about the gameplay, they're talking about the players being in the locker room, the trump twitter shit, all the other players that are taking a knee because of Trump, etc.

12. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the players, coaches and owners probably don't even want to get involved much politically, but now they are forced to give an opinion because it's suddenly something we care about from them. These days, when it comes to absolutely anything, silence = acceptance. I would agree with that when it comes to actual politicians, but I don't give a shit what athletes think. If someone wants to take a knee during the anthem, fine. But not everyone needs to be asked how they feel about it. Kaepernick's cause is just and the national anthem is a great time to be seen doing something out of the ordinary. Why must all of the NFL now be required to make a statement? Because Trump is trying to distract from ever increasing pressure from the Russia investigation. And everyone took the bait.

It's the same reason I don't watch award shows anymore.(not that I ever really did) I don't want to spend 4 hours being told what to think by people that are largely unaffected by politics. The most global warming will affect a bunch of a-listers will be their Aspen ski resort had an unseasonably warm winter. The Hollywood culture requires them to be super liberal or they get black balled. The whole thing is fucked.

13. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't disagree with Almost anything you're saying.

I think that the forum they are choosing to use is fine with me. But that's a personal preference.

For those who disagree and think it should stay out then stop watching. If enough people do that then owners will make a change, or they will say they are okay with losing money for something they believe in. As is their right, same as it is yours to stop watching.

The league itself is a hypocritical organization with fake principles it uses for publicity. I don't think the players should be painted with the same brush. But yes when they feel it in their pockets they will have to make a decision. That's how a free society works. We agree on everything there but just have a different line for where we feel these protests should occur. In my opinion if it's a cause they feel is worthy then sure stand, sit, do some jumping jacks. That's their right.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

16. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can deal with politics coming up every once in awhile, but I'm just sick of people's need to make a statement nonstop. I can see why some people were pissed off about players kneeling during the Star Spangled Banner, but then standing for God Save the Queen. I don't care that much about that incident, or this whole thing in general, with two exceptions:

- I'm fucking sick of politics in everything.
    - This whole thing was started by Kaepernick, and he's not a hero, he's an idiot.

For you guys applauding him, do you think he actually accomplished anything? Because all I think he did is piss people off, ruin his career, damage the NFL brand, and make people more likely to dismiss the cause he did it for. Was I supposed to be impressed when he showed up wearing Castro shirts and had socks with pigs dressed like cops? Oh, and he would have been playing for the ravens if his girlfriend didn't start tweeting about how the team owner was like a slave owner. The guy and the people he associates with are clowns. This isn't some great martyr being sacrificed on the alter of justice. It's a guy whose career is all but finished because he's an insufferable shit head.

All I'm saying is don't compare him to MLK, or other great civil rights icons because he definitely doesn't deserve it.

17. trojanstf

trojanstf
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The answer to your first part - they are citizens of this nation and are trying to bring attention to things in their own house that can make us better. But, they also want to show respect to the country they are in. (You yell at your own kids, you don't go into someone else's house and yell at theirs. Not a perfect parallel but close enough in my opinion)

Yeah those were bad, he's not perfect. But, him doing those things doesn't cancel out everything else he has brought up and is discussing. And the thing from Ray Lewis is questionable at best about the Ravens wanting to sign Kapernick. There was a lot of convenient timing and covering for his old team/boss on him saying that and others have come out to refute the validity of what he said.

Also, while out of the league all Kapernick has been doing is donating his own money and doing charity work. So all those people he's doing it with are clowns?

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are plenty of other examples of Kaepernick's clownishness I'm not going to get into. They're not exactly isolated incidents. Yes, he did some good work. Good for him. Doesn't change that I can't stand him for good reason and in all likelihood the only effects of his protests were those I listed.

I just don't like the constant bombardment of political expression, but as an extension of a point Toytoy made earlier, imagine if conservatives were as in your face with their activism as liberals are right now. They occasionally are so it shouldn't be too hard to imagine. Consider if espn was constantly babbling conservative talking points and if the players were all doing this for a cause in a manner you found distasteful. Think about that for a moment and perhaps you'll grasp how annoying and inappropriate it is.

Again, for me I just think it's done in the wrong way more than anything, but I can hardly blame people for turning away.

19. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Read the sentence I wrote right after the one you quoted.