Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Elephants and Jackasses...

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Nettdata, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Hmmm, It didn't used to. I personally don't have Netflix yet but remember my friend getting really frustrated with its limited selection a few years back.

Side question; How does Netflix actually pay all of the "content creators"? Does it spread its profits evenly like the NFL does with TV money, or do only the popular picks thrive?

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They sign deals with rights holders on a per-content or per-catalog basis.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Or they create it themselves and distribute it themselves worldwide, without needing to license it (obviously).

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

John McCain diagnosed with a brain tumor. Explains his garbled questioning from a few weeks ago. Regardless of his prognosis, there's no way he continues as US Senator, which means a seat no one expected to come open until 2022 will be filled temporarily by a gubernatorial nomination and then for the remainder of McCain's term in the 2018 general election.

Seems likely Ducey will nominate a Trumper, who then could be vulnerable to a Trump-backlash in 2018. Arizona is in play, but it still leans red.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

You are 100% correct.

When we watched that, my wife and I immediately both said the dude had a brain tumor. I did the same shit in the years before my diagnosis and surgery (and occasionally still do, 10 years later). We were joking, in a half serious way. Figured just the odds are good he's fine, he's just old.

But yeah, when he went on that confused questioning which made sense only to him, that's like a textbook example of what having a brain tumor looks like on the outside. It's a total short circuit in the wiring. You're fine like 95% of the time, but then sometimes, shit like that happens and it's weird as absolute hell.

6. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At least his healthcare is paid for the balance of his life, and he gets that sweet sweet retirement Senate money.

My buddy from high school just found out his 8 year old daughter has lukemia, he'll have to file for bankruptcy within 18 months, but by all means gut the ACA.

Republicans are an embarrassment.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's not just a tumor... it's brain cancer.

Shitty.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

And not just brain cancer, glioblastoma, which is super aggressive.

9. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I honestly want to hear from a conservative on this board as to how they think public health care is inferior to our current system. I mean, you're just straight up wrong as far as the data/costs are concerned. I'm center leftish depending on the issue, but while I can sympathize with conservatives on regulation cutting and smaller government in a number of areas this is one that frankly baffles me. We're paying a way higher percentage of our GDP for shittier care based on any way you choose to assess it. This was even worse pre-ACA. What the fuck is there to argue about here? At least with climate change there's some ambiguity and volatility regarding the data.

It seems like any time I hear one of the free market purists talk about this issue they start babbling about wait times or something idiotic like that and I really don't get it.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I was hoping McCain was just senile, that way his ramblings would help fuel the fire that America should stop letting thousand-year-olds impose their will on their laws and land. At least the biggest humiliation (Ol' Storm) already died at the tender age of 100.

11. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In all honestly I actually like McCain. I disagree with him on plenty, but he is one of the few dignified politicians we have left.

Also, people act like all the republicans are freedom caucus types or something, and there's actually a much wider breadth within conservatism than some people on here seem to realize. McCain was fairly moderate and on most things I would take him over the far left any day, but that's just me....

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The problem with McCain was that he couldn't hold the line against his party. That was pretty clear in 2008 when he was convinced to pick Palin as his running mate and his campaign got away from him; perhaps best exemplified by the time he had to tell a potential voter that Obama wasn't some America-hating Kenyan Muslim at a Townhall.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The only thing I can say bad about the man was that he is always first to claim his outrage but never actually does anything about it.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

17 years ago McCain would have made a better POTUS than Bush, but who the fuck doesn't agree with that? But in the end, everybody believed Bush in the primaries when he said Mccain was "for" breast cancer.

McCain was once, not long ago a very patient and logic-minding GOP candidate. He just seemed to get a little too pass-the-ammo in the last few years for my liking.

15. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, that's a fair point, and he's far from my ideal politician, but the bar has been lowered so much in our politics that anyone who can be moderately reasonable and professional is something I'll take at this point.

I will never understand why he chose Sarah Palin as VP. Just totally baffling. I really doubt it would have mattered. Anyone who ran as a republican was going to lose that race, but what an awful decision.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Brain cancer... duh.

17. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you mean both or just John because it would explain a lot...

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

To pick Palin as a running mate is a fuck-up that simply cannot be unfucked. And it wasn't like they backdoored the pathetic bitch on him, it was HIS campaign and in the end that snafu is on him. She could write Hillary a clinic on how to be a shitty female politician.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

She causes it, he gets it.

That's my take on it.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher