Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Eat your...grains? OR ELSE!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Angel_1756, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Mom fined $10 for lack of grains in kids' lunch
    Focus: Discuss.

2. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Bumpage.

3. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

*waits for Frank to arrive*

[​IMG]

4. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

As someone that's been eating Paleo for almost a year, let me say a hearty "fuck you" to the school in question.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Stick that fucking fine up your non-laid ass.

If I want to have my kid eat a live, charbroiled golden retriever puppy at school you can still go fuck yourself.

Schools teach, we parent. That's a simple fucking thing to learn for the place where you learn things. Stay the hell out of what a parent feeds their kids, stay the hell out of that entirely. Unless you see bruises on a kid's arm just do your fucking job and stop inventing ways to conform parents.

6. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's adorable that our frozen neighbors to the north have nothing to worry about except a wacky mayor and not enough grains. Maybe I'll move the family up there and enjoy the tranquility.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

We still have to dodge stray bullets you guys accendtly fire over the thin red line.

8. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Forget aboot the fact that they're fining people for not having grains (the potato is all the carbs you need), what kind of daycare doesn't provide meals to the kids? I drop my kid off in the morning and pick him up in the afternoon. In the meantime, you watch him, feed him, and change him. At the end of the week, I give you a check. That's how the deal works.

Fucking commies.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Holy shit enjoy your nanny-state Canada. We're not far behind.

10. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

I remember reading that as well.

I've mentioned it before, but at my kids' schools, a slushie is considered a fruit serving.

So obviously the program is working as intended.

11. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In America this is considered a vegetable.

[​IMG]

What good is outlawing vending machine fodder if the so-called officials claim processed, HFCS laden bullshit is considered a balanced diet.

Instead of worrying about their diets, perhaps we should be more worried about raising a generation of clods that can't identify their own state on the map. You want to change dietary opinions? Stop outlawing critical thinking in the classroom. Yeah, it really is related.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That's why Canadians would be mad about this, we don't whave to worry about being taught the fake version of evolution,

This is school butting into family decisions. It isn't right.

13. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So you would consider a processed, canned fruit* as more of a vegetable serving than you would a raw, unprocessed potato? Makes total sense.

*Tomatoes are actually fruits. Look it up.

14. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I was going to make a comment about how much physical activity you got when you were a kid but then I remembered that I got an NES when I was 10 and have had videogames ever since, and I didn't put on weight (was 135 at 5'10" when I enlisted) until I was about 20ish. So I guess I'm about as confused as you are.

15. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd prefer to see the kid eat a potato and a hunk of grilled/baked/steamed chicken rather than pizza every day because it has something on it that once resembled a tomato. That tomato is processed shit loaded with preservatives and high fructose corn syrup. Yeah I'll take a baked potato over that tomato on top of bleached flour and high fat pseudo-cheese. Note I didn't say french fries.

Maybe kids are turning more sedentary as physical activities in the school day are replaced by more classes; maybe more kids are giving up on playing sports, though I really don't think that's the overall case. I think the food you and I ate is nowhere near as deadly as the shit they're pre-packaging now. That's my best guess. Juvenile diabetes is through the roof. I also base this on nothing more than anecdotal evidence. No idea if the preservatives have changed, no idea how high the fat contents have gone up, no idea how long modified foods have been used. Though I know the sodium levels on pre-packaged foods have gone up exponentially. Campbell's tomato soup now has something like 1200g of sodium in one can. I was reading Julia Child's biography and she makes mention, in the 50s, of America's predilection of processed foods. So it's been happening for decades now. Did a quick google search, not seeing anything relating 50s/60s techniques to now.

16. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

*so is corn. so are pumpkins. so are beans. so are avocados. so are sunflower seeds.

There's a difference between something being a fruit botanically and being a fruit culinarily. People cook tomatoes as vegetables most of the time, so they're fair game for being classified as such.

[​IMG]

/ghettoastronauted

17. Winterbike

Winterbike
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Jack Lalanne was paleo before it was cool.

The fun starts at 0:48

#17 Winterbike, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  18. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Blood would have been spilled if that was my kid.

Ok, I'm no fan of the USDA but this is getting annoying, no one ever said "pizza is a vegetable" the whole thing was based on the nutrient density of tomato paste, they calculated it out to be about twice as nutrient dense per serving as an average serving of vegetables which therefore meant a slice of pizza counted as a serving of vegetables because the tomato paste on one slice had the same amount of micro-nutrients as a serving of vegetables. Done, end of story, no one was saying bread and cheese are a vegetable, they just weren't discounting the micro-nutrients from the the tomato paste because of the inclusion of bread and cheese. Just like you wouldn't discount the vegetables in a sandwich simply because there's bread and cheese (sound familiar?) present.

That said, the shit they serve in schools is fucking disgusting and not fit for human consumption.

As to prop's point, he's correct tomatoes are fruit, but the nutrient density is similar to that of a vegetable and playing by their rules it would count. You can get up in arms if you want, but I don't see anyone going after green beans being classified as vegetables either.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I mean, just what is this Paleo diet thing supposed to be? Are there any benefits? Can people that do it even exercise? Do they know how? Sounds like a lot of hoyty-toyty pseudoscience. You can't even have a healthy diet without grains and starches.

/sarcasm. Frank don't kill me.

20. LongVin

LongVin
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm actually surprised the rules required that every child have a meat in their considering how many parents now are forcing their kids to be vegetarians. And those parents would be up in arms over a forced inclusion of meat.