Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Eat this, you bastards.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Over on BoingBoing this morning is a story about a science fiction write that made the news a while ago for being inexplicably detained at the US border, being beaten, and being charged with a felony. All for no real reason, other than border guards being mental.

Kind of a fucked up story, to say the least, and makes you feel for the guy.

And life has shit on him even more lately, as he's recently contracted the flesh eating bacteria (necrotising fasciitis) from a simple, routine flesh biopsy in a Toronto hospital.

Well, the guy's not only a writer/novelist, he's also got a PhD in biology, and he's got a blog that he's using to share the experience with everyone.

With REALLY FUCKING GROSS (but interesting) pics of what he's going through.

Did i mention the pics were REALLY FUCKING GROSS?

Seriously. REALLY FUCKING NASTY. You've been warned.
    [​IMG]
    At least he's got a sense of humour, as you can see from the occasional pic of "get well" balloons tied to his annoyed cats.

HIS BLOG IS HERE

FOCUS: What medical stories do you have to share? What's the worst thing you or someone you know has gone through?

ALT-FOCUS: Discuss his blog.

2. fleafly

fleafly
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've had 5 open heart surgeries. My first was in second grade in 89. Then again in 91, 93, 95, and my last one was in 05. One of my surguries was on Good Friday. I've spent my Birthday in the hospital after a surgery. The three things I remember the most about them are: looking over and seeing my mom sleeping in the chair next to me, playing The Little Mermaid on the NES, and watching The Three Stooges and holding a pillow to my chest because it hurt to laugh.

It's been so long and I'm obviously not a good writer so I don't have any interesting stories about them.

3. misnomer

misnomer
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I think I might be too desensitized to gross shit, I dont know, with the internet and all. That picture wasnt too bad - it wasn't blue waffle or tubgirl enough to up the ante. Though I'd probably flip my shit if I saw it in real life.

I was 6 years old, riding my tricycle in the front yard of my house, when I somehow managed to fall off in a way to get a chunk of flesh on my leg scooped out by a rusty exposed gate hinge. Outer thigh. Looked a lot like the above pic with the muscle exposed, except cleaner obviously and it covered an area about the diameter of a ping pong ball.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The one that got me was of the cute home-care nurse that was packing gauze in the gap between the hole where his muscle was and the skin. Like Peking Duck or something.

5. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My aunt has MS, and it's a motherfucker of a disease. It steals your body, your independence, and when it's done with that, it goes after your mind.

She's tried both approved and experimental drugs but to no avail. Her tremors are so bad sometimes that she can't even feed herself. She has to drink from sippy cups, or else she spills everywhere. She relies on a walker, and even then that doesn't work out. If she has to pee, most of the time she's not quick enough to make it to the bathroom on her own. Her feet are purple because of such bad circulation issues.

Two days ago she was walking down her hallway and fell, pushing the walker away from her all the way into a bedroom. Her phone was clipped to the walker. During the next hour, she dragged herself across the floor into a bathroom and pulled herself upright using the toilet. She lost her grip several times and smashed her chin on the rim of the bowl. Another hour later, her step sister came over to visit and found her crying and bleeding slumped over in the bathroom.

With a constantly-progressive disease like MS, that day is probably as good as it gets for her.

The shittiest part is that my uncle, who is a devoted saint, is fighting tooth and nail to get services through the state so that this kind of shit won't happen anymore--or at least as often. But according to the state, she's not young enough and not old enough for them to consider her for services. His insurance wouldn't cover in-house aids, and the drugs she's on just to operate in some fashion cost about $20K/yr. They've hired attorneys to fight the state board to see if they can get something, but the process is long and drawn out.

In short, MS steals everything from you--and does it piece by piece over a long period of time.

6. seelivemusic

seelivemusic
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I lived above this awesome 80+ year old lady for a couple of years and got to know her really well. She collected some amazing art, saw all sorts of jazz legends, and was into eastern medicine since the 1950's.

I went to the basement on a Sunday morning to do my laundry and smelled poo. I turned around and there was my neighbor lying at the bottom of the stairs. She fell on Friday afternoon and hadn't been able to move because of a broken hip. I called 911 and sat by her till the cops and other first responders arrived.

Sadly, she never returned home from the hospital.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just hope Hotwheelz nurses are that cute, guy needs something to look forward too...

After hunting and field dressing a number of deer I really don't get too squeamish looking a most surgery footage like this. Just remind me never to get a fucking biopsy in Toronto fuck....

8. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A guy came into the office once to get his asshole stitched up. He had some hemorrhoid-related eruptions and was basically left with a second hole. At least once a month I accidentally look at the picture and it makes my ass hurt every time.

9. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't see it, but a good friend of mine was in med school at LSU. He was doing his ER rotation at Charity Hospital in New Orleans. Charity treats all of the inmates from the Orleans Parish Prison and he treated one of the inmates with genital warts on his colostomy hole.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think I saw Hemorrhoid-related Eruptions open for Blue Oyster Cult in 1979.

11. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

When I was at the hospital there was a man who had gangrene...starting at his scrotum and going up INTO his body. The packing came out in feet and smelled like shit. I held my breath every. single. time.

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of the sickest things I've ever seen in person was when I went into day surgery for a minor procedure (for anyone playing at home, it was the circumcision I got when I was about 20). I have no idea what it was, and it probably doesn't even rate that bad except that it hit my ick receptors square on.

In the waiting room were a couple of old guys who had what looked a cross between a burn and a bite on their faces, predominantly around the nose, like their flesh had been melted. The edges were red and angry, but inside that it was almost yellow and looked like a latticework of holes. They weren't raised at all, more like someone or something had lopped off a prominent part of the face and this is what was behind. I didn't get close enough to get a better look as it freaked me right out.

If anyone has any idea what that might be so I can go Google it and confirm for my own morbid completion, I'd be appreciative (and a little sick to the stomach when I look at the pics).

13. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It might be skin cancer. Look up melanoma. Most of the melanoma(s?) I have seen have been black, but they might have been either unscabbed or post-op.

14. Poopourri

Poopourri
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

SGEDIT: Per request. Think before you post kids.

15. tempest

tempest
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've seen enough shit by now that it takes quite a bit to really get to me. There was a two week stretch when I kept getting patient's with tunneling wounds that I had to do dressing changes on. I can vividly remember myself, wrist deep in some other person thinking how absurd this all was.

I stayed at work late this morning so I could help a neurosurgeon put in a ventriculostomy. I've never worked a neuro unit, so I've never seen one placed before. It was awesome, used a hand drill and everything.

16. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

When I was about 14, my neighbor's kitchen caught on fire because he was deep frying french fries while drunk late one night after Mardi Gras. He passed out, woke up drunk to his kitchen on fire, freaked the fuck out, busted through the mullioned kitchen window, and came through our carport to our backdoor for help. Our cars were smeared with blood, the backdoor had bloody hand prints like something out of a horror movie, and the poor man was burned from the inside out. My dad and brother grabbed the garden hoses, my sister called 911, and I tried to console our neighbor. He swelled up before my very eyes, and later that week died at the hospital.

I was the one who got the privilege of hosing off the bloody hand prints and body smears from the cars and back door. I guess my parents figured that since I had basically seen a man die, hosing his blood off the back porch was no problem at all.

17. Kels

Kels
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

A close friend of mine developed dry beriberi and Wernicke-Korsakoff's syndrome. It developed mainly due to an odd thiamine malabsorption issue, MRSA sepsis (blood infection, extremely difficult to treat), a bleeding peptic ulcer and a laundry list of other issues. Due to her being so far out of the usual patient profile for this type of issue and the massive clusterfuck that was her health, the beriberi, WKS and underlying thiamine (vitamin B1) deficiency causing the problems wasn't caught until it had progressed into a full-blown disaster.

She suffered memory loss to the point of forgetting her own name and not recognizing anyone that came in, and began losing control of her body, starting with loss of motor control in the extremities and ending in cardiac arrest shortly before they began effective treatment. Amazingly, she's still alive and in decent health, though there is some permanent brain and peripheral nerve damage. It hasn't seemed to affect her personality or cognitive abilities, but her memory is noticeably poorer. Also, any time her thiamine levels drop, the whole process rapidly starts again, beginning with rapid memory loss and progressing to the loss of motor control (I assume so at least...it's been caught every time so far before it progressed any farther than numbness). The fact that the memory loss begins with the most recent events means one of the first things she forgets is that she has the problem or what to do about it, meaning she constantly has to be watched, and her thiamine levels closely monitored.

The craziest thing is just how fast the memory loss can happen. She can go from having a normal conversation to thinking she's 16 again and not knowing who you are in a couple hours, then coming back to normal within a couple hours of treatment.

Scary, scary shit.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

FOCUS: What medical stories do you have to share?

My father was a physician and one of my good friends is a surgeon. So, I have heard thousands of "good medical stories." Most of the awesome ones came from when both of them were doing ER rotations earlier in their careers. Some of the most hilarious / gross stories were from my buddy, talking about all the things people would have to get removed from orfices.

He told me that he had to remove a frog from some guy's butt once.

A couple other case studies:
    Case 1. A 39-year-old married white male lawyer presented with a self- inserted perfume bottle in his rectum that he was unable to remove using various objects, including a back scratcher. He had inserted this bottle on previous occasions. Edema of the rectum and sigmoid colon precluded the successful manual removal of the object in the emergency room. A pelvic x-ray film (Fig.1) showed the object to be lodged 12 cm proximal to the dentate line. The 3 by 17 cm object, "Impulse Body Spray," was removed manually after a spinal anesthetic. The patient was discharged on the second postoperative day. He refused psychologic counseling.

Case 2. A 39-year-old white male was admitted to the University Hospital psychiatric service for evaluation of a 2-week history of bloody diarrhea and auditory hallucinations. Rectal examination revealed a foreign body approximately 3 cm above the anal verge. An x- ray film (Fig. 2) showed that it was 20 cm in length. The object could not be removed by manual or endoscopic means. The patient consented to extraction of the dildo under general anesthetic. Biopsy specimens of the hemorrhagic rectal mucosa were performed and were negative on Ziehl-Neelson stains for mycobacterial or cryptosporidium infection. The patient was discharged without complications the following day.

The x-rays:

http://www.cynsa.com/butt/leviton/

Attached Files: