Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Easter!! Mini Eggs, egg hunt, bunnies, family, crucifixion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bewildered, Apr 22, 2011.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Easter is one of the biggest religious holidays in my family. I have 5 siblings who are married and spread all around the country, and everyone makes a mighty attempt (usually 5/6 make it annually) to be in town for Easter.

The day starts off with an Easter basket search. My mom prepares enormous baskets filled with every kind of tooth rotting delicious candy you can imagine. It takes her a week to prepare these things, they are that big. Then, while everyone is asleep, she hides them somewhere in the front of the house: the family room, formal living room/dining room, or kitchen. The little kids have super easy hiding spots, like in the glass fronted TV cabinet, for example. If she's really pissed at you that year when Easter rolls around, you usually can't find your basket. One year she hid mine in the bottom kitchen pantry behind all the cans of vegetables and soups. I didn't find my basket until later that afternoon.

After we find baskets, we get ready for Mass. The little town north of here, where my dad grew up, hosts an annual homecoming Easter Mass and potluck. So we go up there and schmooze with relatives that we haven't seen since last year and eat a shitton of delicious southern food. Except for that Asian woman who married into the family. She always fries homemade eggrolls.

2. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Anti: Game over. Thread closed.

Focus. On a more fun note, back when I was a small child, my parents used to hide plastic eggs filled with candy all over the house and we'd have to go find them. We'd sit at the top of the stairs waiting for them to tell us it was okay to come down. We'd search all morning until we found them all, then go outside and hide them from each other. This would occupy us while mom and dad made the Easter ham, mashed potatoes, etc. It was good to be a child. We also got small gifts, like those cheap wooden planes that actually flew but broke when they hit the ground.
    This year, on Sunday, my friend is having some people over for a gathering/eat a lot of food/drink a lot of beer party. My how times have changed.

Oh yeah, fish below, reminded me that peeps are indeed awful. They're some sort of marshmallow/baked sugar coating. I like my mallows to be squishy and warm with some chocolate and a graham, not crunchy and colored.

3. fishy

fishy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Cadbury Eggs: regular or caramel- so good, I get excited when the commercial starts coming on

Anti-Alt. Focus:Peeps are fucking awful. The only useful thing about those pieces of crap are watching them balloon in the microwave.

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I visit my family, and therefore become steadily more annoyed by the hour.

On the other hand, Zombie Jesus is my favorite kind of Jesus.

5. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate Easter. My family loves it.

I volunteered to work this weekend just so I wouldn't feel obliged to go home.

Back in the day I used to celebrate by eating ham in the Jewish neighborhood. I did this to show them no matter how hard they tried to keep Christian's down I still have it better than them. Purely because I can eat pork!

6. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyway.

As a kid my mom would hide an easter basket somewhere around the house and I had to find it. The gifts usually consisted of a few packs of assorted sports cards and a bunch of candy. As we got older she would hide cash somewhere around the house. Now that I'm moved out it's just another day except the past few years I go to my girlfriends grandmothers house and she makes a bunch of polish food and it's delicious.

#6 Elset, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  7. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Focus: What do you do for Easter? Any tradition to your Easter (weekend)?

Nope, my Easters were the same as a kid, minus the bomb making. It was never a sequel to Christmas in my house. As we got older, it became a non-holiday.

Or you can use them for Peep Wars! Why no, I'm not currently getting laid, how did you know?

8. Blue Dog

Blue Dog
    Expand Collapse
    Absentee Mod

Just as a warning-

If this thread turns into a "Ooooo Easter is stupid 'cause I hate God and Religious holidays, and people who celebrate it are ignorant sheep who believe Jesus is a zombie" kinda deal, I'm not going to be happy.

Just don't do it.

9. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: Eat bacon's big brother--smoked ham. My mother will be joining us for dinner. Luckily, I have plenty of school work to do.

Alt. Focus: Growing up, we had two confectionaries in my hometown that made incredible candies. Solid white chocolate and milk chocolate bunnies were my favorites. And I love jellybeans. And "fruit slices." My grandmothers shopped at both stores, so we got the best from each.

Peeps are the most disgusting confections known to man. I don't know how people can eat those things.

10. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I used to love Peeps. Then I hit about 16 years old and eating just one would make me feel like I was going to vomit. Though I still like the chocolate covered marshmallow eggs that come in an egg carton.

11. twopy

twopy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Is it just me or are Cadbury Eggs smaller now than back in the day? I remember them being bigger when I was a kid.

And the best thing Peeps are good for is putting int he microwave. If you haven't done it you are missing out.

12. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#12 zyron, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  13. taste_my_rainbow

taste_my_rainbow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What the fuck is wrong with you people?!? Peeps are goddamn delicious.

My top 4:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I usually go to Mass today (Good Friday) and then again on Easter. After Easter mass we go out for Brunch at a nice place and come back for an egg hunt and rummage through our baskets. Yeah we still do egg hunts (Im 25) but my parents and aunts and uncles started putting 5s, 10s, and 20s in the eggs a few years ago to up the ante.

15. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I make a homemade version of the Reese's egg that will leave you in a sugar coma but it's so goddamn good you can't eat just one.

That said, Easter used to be fairly active for my family, then my mom and dad spent a year being absolutely retarded, so we don't do a big holiday so much. I'll put an Easter basket together for each of my kids, and we may spend a bit of time decorating some eggs so we can devil them afterward, but otherwise, gone are the days of the big hunts and baskets of candy and all that.

Plus I'm dating a Jew so he's not super into it.

Fucking Cadbury eggs. They're kryptonite.

And Peeps, and any other form of fluffed marshmallow candy, are disgusting.

I'll dig the recipe out and post it later.

16. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tomorrow I am hiding a bunch of airplane bottles of booze around the house, and letting Jägerette find them.

I will then proceed to drink half of them.

17. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can get those little chocolate bottles filled with booze. The Grand Marnier ones are particularly good.

18. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got this from someone on the old RMMB, I don't remember who...so if you're here, THANK YOU!

* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    * 1/2 cup butter, softened
    * 1 (18 ounce) jar creamy peanut butter
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 1 (2 pound) package confectioners' sugar
    * 6 cups semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Beat in sugar (do this little by little or it will explode all over the place. I do this with my hands, don't have one of those fancy kitchen-aids).Form rounded tablespoonfuls into egg shapes. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Chill for 30 minutes in freezer (for big eggs, make it 2 hrs or they'll fall apart).
    2. In a microwave-safe bowl or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening: stir until smooth. Dip eggs until coated; place on waxed paper to harden.

I use less sugar so they're super creamy, and I also melt white chocolate and drizzle across the top. I've thought about adding banana liqueur to the chocolate, but haven't tried that yet...

19. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I never buy ham, but yesterday Wal-Mart had this huge 10-lb.+ ham (not generic, either; it was some Jimmy Dean-type shit) marked down at like $1.30/lb. Like I said, I never buy ham, but that sounded like a fucking bargain. So for 14-15 bucks, I bought something that'll feed me for over a week. Winning?

If anyone knows of a good ham recipe, I'll blow you for it.

Alt. Focus: Fuck the Celtics, this is the REAL Big Three.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The only problem is picking out all of the shitty jelly bean flavors. I mean, Buttered Popcorn? Caramel Corn? Toasted Marshmallow?? ORANGE JUICE?! How fucked in the head must you be to enjoy those flavors?

20. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I'm "half Jewish, half Christian" so I tend to really only celebrate either religion's holidays by eating themed foods. My only Easter tradition is that when I lived at home I'd always spend it with my best friend's mom. She slept at my house every Friday, and I slept at her house every Sunday.* On Easter Sunday, we'd wake up to Easter baskets and we'd drink tea, eat chocolate, and color Easter-themed pages. (Yes, we continued to do the coloring part into high school. I even continued this tradition when my friend started working every Sunday morning.) When we left for school, her mom would mail us easter baskets with candy, coloring pages, and crayons. I'm really glad the tradition is continuing now that I'm an "adult." I'm fully expecting to get Easter baskets with coloring pages until one of us dies.

I went to Israel in January on Birthright, so she thought it was hysterical for this year's Easter basket to be super Jesus-y. I got a chocolate cross instead of a bunny, and all of the coloring pages were of Jesus on the cross and the last supper and such. I giggled.

I created my own post-grad Spring Break last week and when I was home my dad and I had a dinner party where we served ham and latkes. BEST.

I'm going to throw my hat in the Reese's egg ring. They're just so freaking delicious. Reese's are my favorite candy always, but the ratio is perfect in egg-form, and the colored wrappers on the mini cups make them extra tasty somehow. I got Snickers eggs this year too, and they're also yummy.

*My best friend I mean, not her mom.