Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Eastbound and Down- Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Thought I'd start up a fresh thread, because I loved the first episode and its seems the show's creators are bent on getting things back on the insanely funny (and just plain insane) track from Season 1.

Jason Sudekis was fucking hilarious, something I don't usually see from him (personal opinion). Kenny wants NOTHING to do with being a parent and yet is dating a high school chick, and even his family is back, including his brother John Hawkes who just came off an Oscar nomination. That putt-putt scrap was a fucking riot.

Still blissfully non P.C.

"Set the pussy freeeee."

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Uhh what the fuck was that?

I was happy they acknowledged the whole Mexico trip as lame.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That was the most bizarre shit ever. Even for this show. Please let us not see Will Farrell again.

Sudekis was awesome as fuck again, even if only used for a minute.

4. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not entirely sure what I just saw and/or if I found it funny. Several genuine laugh out loud moments but then...well a guy got killed with a civil war cannon.

'his body is rejecting the pepsi'

5. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought that episode was one of the funniest, yet most uncomfortable half hours of tv I've seen in a long time. I mean, I always think Stevie is hysterical but the whole sexual abuse thing was kinda fucked. Although I absolutely died when he was dressed as a geisha.

From season 1, Will Ferrel's character has comfortably moved into the sexual predator category and I think its rather creepy.

Does the guy who plays Stevie embellish the mildly retarded thing, or is that really how he talks?

6. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just re-watched the episode. As a standalone I am of the opinion it was hilarious. For the continuity of the show I think it was a poor move. This reeked of Will Ferrell's ego taking over in a cameo. Is all meant to go back to normal next week and we just ignore this ever happened?

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Exactamundo. And whenever he gets one, he does exactly that. And usually, a la Wedding Crashers, it's excrutiating. The guy IS capable of other things, and that shit is as old as Rick James jokes. He could just play a normal douchebag asshole and it would fit in great, but he has to be a guy who sexually abuses ugly men, says nonsensical things and kills people by ripping off Apocalypto.

The man-child shtick must END.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He was on Adam Carolla's podcast and yes he does have a sort of half retard slur to his voice but I think he plays it up even more for the show as he is supposed to be a very dimwitted sycophant. I didn't really know who it was on the podcast until he started speaking and the mentioned him being on the show.

Anyway, looking back I think it was way over the top even for this show. I think they wanted the awkwardness to be funny but it just ended up awkward. Since it's the last season and they only have a handful of episodes left it waits to be seen if it was a truly jump the shark moment.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Guess everybody else was completely underwhelmed by this season as well? Here's hoping Danny Mcbride can branch out and make new characters that aren't shitty derivatives of Kenny Powers thus avoiding the crap hole Will Farrell's career has been stuck in.

10. TexasTornado

TexasTornado
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Yes I was pretty underwhelmed by the season as well. I wish there was more than Stevie's weirdness to make a lasting impression of what a great series it was.

Thoughts on Final Episode:
    I was disappointed with how they ended this show. First I wish they could have made it at least 15 minutes longer. Second, the whole thing with him leaving the game and driving his car off the cliff. I just couldn't get around the fact that no body remains would be found. However the ending montage was actually rather touching and even poignant. Jason Sudeikis' hand beard was absolutely classic. I just wish they had ended the episode as the charred baseball cap falls to the ground. Kenny showing up at April's really diminished the pathos of the ending montage. Despite this, I will miss having a new season of EB&D to look forward to.

11. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See I thought this season was hilarious. It had more great Kenny one liners than last season. Some of the story arcs were ehh, but I definitely laughed alot where last season I felt like I only laughed because I remembered how much I loved season 1.

That being said, the ending felt like they decided the show was over and hurried/forced an ending to wrap it all up.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A friend told me he thought it was better than the second, not as good as the first. I'd agree, but most of the stories were so weak and the ending so quickly hobbled together that I don't think it'll go down anywhere near an all time great show. I think killing off Jason Sudeikis as early as they did was a huge mistake. He was the funniest thing the season had going. He could have been killed off in the last episode thus being another large reason for Kenny to drop his fame act and get back with his baby momma. Stevie's whole marriage crisis, and marriage in general, was lame and he was never quite as funny as the first season, though him conflicting with Sudeikis could have been taken much much further. Both of his parent's were basically afterthoughts in their story lines.

The only thing they really had going for it was the one liners. Which there was some good stuff. But like most of the recent wave of movies and shows that rely heavily on lead actors ad libbing most of their stuff, it's very hit or miss since it has priority over the story. The whole product is made much weaker.