Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Drug use allowed in sports?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cynismus, Apr 5, 2010.

1. cynismus

cynismus
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I would love to see any sport played while the athletes are on shrooms. It would be great to see how they play the game when faced with hallucinations.

Also, drunk figure skating.

2. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It would have to be an all or nothing proposition. Either everyone would take them, or no one would take them.

Heck, they could even break up the divisions. Like AFC and NFC, but DruggedFC and CleanFC.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It sure would make the home run derby more interesting:

[​IMG]

4. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Youtube 1999 home run derby at Fenway Park.

5. Merle

Merle
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

If athletes want to be so damn stupid to ruin their bodies by the time they turn 40 I say let them. I just don't want to hear any bitching about how they cannot walk because they thought it would be a great idea to get themselves to weigh 250 lbs of solid muscle and run sprints every day for 15 years.

6. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After seeing what HGH can do for someone who uses their body in extreme athletic pursuits almost daily I'm all for it being allowed in sports.

The ability to heal faster and come back sooner is good for the player, good for the team, and good for the sport. Also there haven't been any negatives found with it's use.

7. no use for a name

no use for a name
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I present to you Bernie Carbo

From the article:

FWIW, I would love to see an mma event where all the fighters were completely jacked out of their minds on roids. And remember how exciting baseball was when Sosa, McGwire, and Bonds were juiced out of their skulls hitting the ball 600 ft every other at bat?

8. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sports is entertainment, and I want to be entertained. If the athletes willingly accept that what they are doing may potentially harm themselves, and that it is worth the benefit, more power to them. Shit, people willingly smoke a pack a day. Why could Joe Basketball Player take a shot of steroids?

However, the use of steroids seems to be an all-or-nothing thing (out of simple fairness), so I really, really doubt there is any chance or it ever coming to fruition. Plus, you run into the whole issue of "Daddy when I grow up I want to be a baseball player/Well if you want to make it in the big leagues, you need another kind of juice, and that ain't happening, so get back to studying."

It's like legalizing pot -- just because I am strongly for it, doesn't mean I realistically expect to see it.

9. Marburg

Marburg
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

HGH causes an increase in the size of all organs within the body (minus the brain). This could predispose you to an increase of liver lacerations and splenic lacs in full contact sports such as football. Also if you have the beginnings of a cancer that responds to HGH and IGF-1 you could potentially accelerate it. Everything in life always has a consequence.

That being said I would totally love seeing a steroid football league. 6'5" 260 pound 4% body fat outside linebackers running 4.12 40's would be amazing. Not to mention the collisions would be epic when they hit a RB heads up in the hole. Realistically we all know the majority of the leagues are on some form of performance enhancing drugs. Just go ahead and make it on the up and up and further enhance the sport. The only problem with this would be the impacts on the field would lead to some very short careers with the increased rate of concussions and torn ligaments.

10. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"And the winner of the Lyle Alzado Trophy is...."

11. pincinelly

pincinelly
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Drug Olympics is something that could happen I guess. All you need is some athletes who didn't quite make it to the top of their field and pump them full of steroids. Having said that, I don't think there would be many advertisers willing to sponsor the drug Olympics.

12. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pfizer. Actually, I could see pharmaceutical companies running their own candidates, using only their brands, sorta as a technology demonstrator.

13. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

We discussed this issue a bit on this very board a couple of months ago if I remember right. Discussion can be found here: <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theidiotboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=583" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=583</a>

14. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Every athlete would be dead by their mid 40s. Case in point the WWF superstars of the last 30 years.

15. Captain Apathy

Captain Apathy
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Former Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Dock Ellis once threw a no-hitter while on LSD. Here's how he described it:

I wish I could find footage of the game...

16. JR17

JR17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Here is a little video version of the Dock Ellis no-Hitter. Enjoy the video.

#16 JR17, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  17. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Drugs should not be legal in sports. Why?

Because then to just even have a chance of becoming a pro you will have to take them otherwise someone who is less talented than you would just surpass you thanks to doping.

18. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This isn't exactly true, the WWF guys are dead because in general they physically abused their bodies 300 odd days a year, had massive addictions to prescription pain killers and yes abused steroids. But in general their pattern of use would be very different to that of a profesional athelete. You are greatly underestimating how wide spread steroid use has been in the past.

During the Cold War years pretty much everyone was juiced, the 100m final in 88 at Seoul had all 8 competitors juiced up. We haven't seen a pandemic of 80's Olympians dying. The type of drug abuse just differs between the two, one could also argue that banned substance use by Athletes would be much more regulated and controlled than the 'back alley' type usage prevelant amongst Wrestlers of the 80's.

That being said I am still very much against the legalisation of banned substances. Paraphrased from my original post in the sports thread:

When a sport doesn't properly test or if they were to become legal then they become the norm. It becomes accepted that to compete you have to use them. That attitude flows down from the professionals, to the amateurs, to the juniors.

I remember when I was a 12 or so being convinced that I needed a pair of Air Jordan II's to be able to compete on the court. I was positive without them I simply could not compete. I see no gain for a society which see's kids replacing a desire for Air Jordan's with that of roids.

I have no moral issue against steroids, it is simply another form of cheating. If you get away with it and you can sleep with that more power to you. You beat the system. But when we change the bar for it to become the accepted norm this reverberates throughout the sport as a whole and I see no advantages in this.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Great. It's not bad enough, I can't wait to see athletes in fanny packs, "Flashdance" sweaters and Zubaz doing interviews on how "Fuckin' Nancy Boys are fuckin' DEAD next game, bro!!! You hearin' me, you fuckin' FAGGOTS!??!"

If you're going to legalize any drug in sports, make it M.D.M.A. That would make Rugby and Football pile-ups hilarious.

20. cdite

cdite
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I can't be the only one that would watch a separate baseball league where steroids were required and only metal bats were allowed. Although I suspect that after the sharp rise in Infield / fan fatalities from line drives it would be shut down.