Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dr Rob's Book, Crazy, is out! Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr. Rob, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Re: New ShrinkTalk.Net Site

It's hard to describe the differences in one post because there's a huge amount of overlap, but I actually don't get all that many people who strictly want relationship advice. I've gotten some people coming in who are completely freaking out about their relationships and can't control the symptoms, but most people seem to go to their friends and family for standard advice (which is smart).

I've had a couple of people find me through Rudius who assumed that I was hand-picked by Tucker because I'm an expert at using psychology to get girls. Needless to say, they are disappointed upon meeting me.

2. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

3. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I had a roundtable with not one, but three lawyers, including PL. I'm clearly a masochist:

http://shrinktalk.net/?p=1019

4. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

New post about how abstinence only programs suck. If I know the people on this board, you'll probably agree with everything I've written:

http://shrinktalk.net/?p=1056

5. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

"Did it Ever Occur to You That You Simply Suck as a Shrink?" by me:

<a class="postlink" href="http://shrinktalk.net/?p=1143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://shrinktalk.net/?p=1143</a>

6. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Thanks, man. And thank you for letting me post here for those who are/were interested.

I have no clue about the title change yet, just that they want something else. Part of me wants to hold off on choosing a title until it's finished, although it's hard to create a buzz on something without a name (a bit like Spinal Tap's problem with "Smell the Glove").

I know PL has talked about this extensively, but the soup to nuts process of getting a book deal is a fascinating and frustrating one. We can talk about that here or on a new thread if anyone is interested. I'm sure PL would weigh in as well.

7. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

New post on why people who unilaterally say that anti-depressants don't work should be shot and dragged into a bowels of hell:

http://shrinktalk.net/?p=1230

8. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I won't inundate the message board with excessive posts on ShrinkTalk.Net, but I am starting to post outtakes from my book. If you'd like to follow along, here is the first one:

http://shrinktalk.net/?p=1336

9. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Thanks, man. I've had a real crash course in getting my writing to this level, so if anyone has any questions about the process of getting published I'm more than happy to try to answer those here.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Have you considered going the e-Pub route, like Kindle or iStore?

As much as I enjoy reading a physical book, more and more I find I'm reading one using my iPad.

11. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The publisher decides that, but they assured me that a Kindle version will be available. I'm assuming everything will be e-pub at some point.

12. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Got my copy today, on June 9th, which was a pleasant surprise. Read it in a single afternoon, and it was rock solid.

If you haven't ordered, get on it.

13. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

If you're on the fence about reading 'Crazy,' you can see positive and negative reviews here, including blurbs from Tucker and Philalawyer:

http://shrinktalk.net/?page_id=2051

14. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

15. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I picked up the book on Friday and read it. In fact, I finished it at 2:00 in the morning on Sunday. Rob, thanks for writing that book. I really mean it. It's a book I think most people should read.

One complaint, though: stop using brand names for drugs. Instead of "xyprexa", try "olanzapine". Also, the brand name is spelled "zyprexa", not "xyprexa".

16. Dr. Rob

Dr. Rob
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Thanks so much for picking it up and the kind words. I can't believe we all missed that typo.

The brand names were chosen by design because people can identify with them more readily. Most people know what Zoloft is, but few can give the generic name.

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Amazon'd this book. Should be in my heads Friday morning. Pretty sure I've read every post. Helped me get through my last job and internship. Really enjoy the commentary on the new findings articles and what not that come out.

18. dugbrandon

dugbrandon
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I've just started reading ShrinkTalk site and have skimmed this thread. Perhaps you have already written about this, but if not it may make an interesting topic, especially for me as it fits my current situation.

I recently (5 weeks) am out of a long term (6 years) relationship. Now that things are beginning to settle down, and life is getting back on track I am thinking about trying to date again. One particular lady that I have an interest in is an old friend from high school (11 years ago). We are meeting to "catch up" in a month (the next time both of us have a free weekend) so I will have been out of my previous relationship for approximately 2 months, which still may not be enough time. That isn't really the topic I am most interested in though, although how long does one need to reenter the dating scene may be a decent enough topic. My real curiosity is that she is a children's psychologist. Now, from what I know of this girl from our past friendship is all good and I wouldn't have any reservations in regards to getting to know her again/better and possibly cultivating a romantic relationship. There are however those negative stigmas towards shrinks. Is she crazy because she is a shrink? Why would a very attractive, successful woman such as her still be single at her age (28) if she weren't crazy? Is she going to analyze everything I say/about me? Am I going to be over protective of my actions/words due to her profession? You could also go the other way. Perhaps she will be easier to deal with in a romantic relationship because she understands the differences in communication styles between two people and can work through them. Perhaps she can get me to talk more eloquently regarding my thoughts and feelings in regards to our potential relationship that, I was lacking in with my ex.

Simply, pros and cons of dating a shrink.

[edit]
    Her birthday is also in a couple of days. I think the book would make a great late birthday/first date gift for her when we meet up, so I'll likely be purchasing two copies.

19. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Once it hits Kindle, I'll buy

Can't wait.