Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Downloading

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by E. Tuffmen, Oct 19, 2009.

1. ILikePie

ILikePie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Good luck with your copyright infringement letters, multiple viruses and shitty quality torrents.

2. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

For a while I've been using a site to download ebooks from for free.

Think it was called ebooke.com or something, but I can't find it. Has it gone down or have I just forgot the URL?

Cheers

3. Nalab

Nalab
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

What do you guys use to get individual songs? I used to use Limewire and remember never having any problems with it. Anyone here still use it?

4. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If, like me, you're using a free Internet network whose ports are all blocked (so no Bittorrent), you can still download as much as ever, at the same speeds (although a slightly narrower selection) with

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.general-search.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.general-search.com</a>

which looks through Megaupload, rapidshare, uploading.com, etc. for the files in question. Luckily, some people upload entire movies in one Megaupload file (700 MB), as opposed to Rapidshare, which imposes a 100 MB file limit for non-members.

5. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Soulseek

6. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Limewire is a bag of assholes. You can select individual songs from inside the torrent dialogue when you load up the torrent. Haven't used Soulseek because I've had no need with torrents.

7. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I use torrents to get some newer stuff, but when my parents and other old people want a lot of old rare shit (think AM radio bullshit from the 50s and 60s), I end up finding a lot of it on Soulseek because a lot of it isn't readily available on torrents. I'm not a member of anything private like Demonoid or waffles or whatever else is around these days, so your mileage may vary, but I find a lot of what I need on Soulseek.

8. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been using MP3 Rocket for years now and have never had a problem finding anything.

9. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just to bump the thread, and offer some private torrent invites on a general tracker to people. Shoot me a PM for details

10. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

All gone

11. Nalab

Nalab
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Hey I know this has been dead for over a year but I'm looking for some help. I have a lot of experience with public torrent sites but I'm looking to get into the whole private scene. I have no idea where to start or how to obtain an invite. Any help would be much appreciated.

12. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

utorrent and btjunkie.

14. Nalab

Nalab
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Thank you both for the responses. Although they index private torrents aren't these both public sites?

15. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Yes.

Private sites require an invitation from someone who's a member. Demonoid if it's still around is probably the easiest to get an invite for - because so many people have accounts that calling it a private tracker is kind of funny now. What.CD is fantastic for music if you have the required upstream speed to keep your ratio's up. Others are less well known - but equally awesome.

Fundamentally - the point of private trackers is that only trusted parties are invited. Find someone who has an account who trusts you, and ask them for an invite.

16. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Does anyone use Peerblock or PeerGuardian when they are downloading? Its supposed to help keep you anonymous. Also any idea if it actually works?

17. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Yes
    Yes

The apps in question are peer filters - they use lists of IP addresses belonging to known government/law enforcement/security types who are likely to be looking for people file sharing illegally and prevent people at those addresses from viewing your torrent activity. So when someone is trying to gather a list of people to sue for illegal file sharing - they can't see that you're being a pirate - but you can still connect to the people who actually want to share media with you.

18. AyHy

AyHy
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I really couldn't care less about the copyright infringement letters. There hasn't been an actual case of a content provider suing the general public for, what, five years now? And I've never heard of a case of an ISP cancelling the account of a paying customer because they ripped off some media conglomorate. So, send me all the letters you want. If toilet paper didn't cause printer jams, I'd wipe my ass with them.

As for viruses and poor quality torrents, I just haven't experienced either.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

First thing that comes to mind is this: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64B0AU20100512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64B0AU20100512</a>

20. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Are you high, retarded, or just staggeringly ignorant? Kids, this is how you end up explaining to your dad what Bit Torrent is and why some law firm wants you to settle for 11 counts of $1000 dollars or is going to take it to court and swing for the bleachers on each count.

In the last 6 months, more legal action against individual file downloaders has been commenced than in the rest of intarwebs piracy history combined. ISP's, EFF and the ACLU are all involved in resisting the currently used methods - but the mass suits are getting pay days for the lawfirms pushing them, there are even successful scams impersonating those mass suits getting pay days - and there are people currently in the process of fighting massive fines.

Also, the ISP cancellation thing happens all the fucking time outside of the US, is being heavily pushed in the US by industry groups and has been adopted in the last 6 weeks or so by Suddenlink - a US based ISP who are being held up as proof that only horrible pirates have anything to worry about. If you aren't taking steps to preserve your privacy at this point - you're an idiot.