Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Don't Throw The baby out with the bathwater

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Ness, May 27, 2010.

1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love old sayings like this. I always find it interesting to find the origin. So many of them came from a term that was so literal, it's fascinating.

"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater"

This originated back when everybody in the house had to take a bath out of the same water, the oldest would start first. Resulting in the baby to be the last one to take a bath...The water would be so dirty that they would say "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water"

No it's an expression of keeping valuable things we don't want to get rid of. My boss just said it today talking about a particular investor, one that we used to use all the time but now have had to replace, they are still valuable so he wants us to keep them signed on.....thus saying find some other banks but "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater"

FOCUS what proverbial sayings will arise from our generation?? What will people say 100 years from now that came from our culture??

I though an example might be that 100 years from now a kid is filming his buddy trying to do a back flip out of a rather high tree branch, he tells his friend "Careful or you will end up on YouTube..." not knowing or having any idea what YouTube is or was.

SECOND FOCUS- list some of your favorite sayings with their origins, maybe apply it to a funny incident in present day. (kind of like when my dad said "look before you leap" when my brother ran and jumped into a giant pile of manure.)

2. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yo dude want to go crawling for creatures tonight?

3. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

"That's about as smart as investing in HD DVD's"

"That's about as promising as a government buy out"

"and let me guess, you invented the internet too, Al Gore?"

4. Lowest

Lowest
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Focus Two-- phrases that at one point meant one thing and morph into something else, usually offensive and completely unintended. For example, "Rode Hard and Put Up Wet" I guess that's funny.

And then, there's the ever-popular "niggardly," which, according to Wikipedia:

We know where this leads. This word alone has sunk a number of careers, as in, you say this word in public, you get fired.

Focus One: All the 'net-speak terms that are used now, like l337, pwned, haxor, oh hai. People will forget that they started from spastic mis-typers doped up on Ritalin and pop-rocks.

5. ec88

ec88
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Back in math class in middle school, a kid came up with a way to go about answering a problem. My teachers response was, "Well, that's one way to skin a cat"

That one still gives me a good chuckle, I have no idea of it's origin and I have never heard it used since.

6. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Family is from the south. My favorite one has to be:

Well that dog just ain't gon hunt.

Seconded only by:

You ain't gon catch no fish tryin ta watch my line.

7. Sicnevol

Sicnevol
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I swear to god, I want to write my Thesis on the Language of LOLcats. Its fascinating how its going backwards along the progression to language. Its going from being written to spoken, while every other language has gone from spoken to written.
    I think it will eventually evolve into another dialect of English

Focus: I was always a fan of "... and the horse you rode in on." I've never been able to find a good origin story for it though. Anyone know?

8. PeaMan

PeaMan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

That is just a deviation from the saying ' There is more than one way to skin a cat' , which , if I recall correctly, comes from the good old cat skinning days of the 1640's.

9. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

"It's about as slow as YouTube on dial-up" in place of "slow as molasses"

10. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've always been a big fan of these random little sayings. Most of them I've gotten from my family and from growing up in Oklahoma.

My all time favorite is for referring to someone who is wasted drunk: "That guy is Drunker 'n Cooter Brown"

Another of my favorites is the classic Six of one, half a dozen of the other, which pretty obviously means that the two choices you have are about the same. Of course I usually shorten it down and just say "well, six of one...", that usually brings about some odd looks.

I am also reminded of when I worked in the cart barn and a golf course in town when I was in high school. We had an old guy that worked in the pro shop named George and he may have been the grumpiest old man I have ever met. And he had some nasty, droopy old man tits. Anyway, whenever it would get to be about mid July-August and would be really hot outside, he would come into the pro shop (with sweat stains under his man tits) and proclaim "It's hotter out there than two rats fuckin' in a wool sock!.

I've got a bunch more of these, but I can't think of them right now, they seem to only come to mind when they are pertinent. I'll post again when I remember some more.

11. Decatur Dave

Decatur Dave
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

"It's hotter than a fresh fox getting fucked in a forest fire."

From Wiktionary. Dixie Bandit, can you help enlighten us? Do you people fuck foxes in forest fires? And if so, how hot is it?

12. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Sweating like a whore in church is one of my favorites when the weather gets hot. There are a bunch of these down here where it's hot 9 months of the year.
    Sweating like a dog in a Korean restaurant
    Sweating like a nun in a field of cucumbers
    Sweating like a blind lesbian in a fish market

I also like drunker than a sailor (or Irishman) on payday

13. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Around these parts it used to be drunker than an Indian on welfare day.

14. ILikePie

ILikePie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I live in the South so one of my favorites is "Gone like a turkey through the corn."

15. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was a great line in full metal jacket, "Pyle you move as fast as old people fuck!!"

When and why did people skin cats?

16. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I once saw a movie, maybe "Meatballs" or something similair, where the "bad guy" rode into camp on a horse, and the semi retarded groundskeeper flipped him the bird, once the usual way, and again horizontally. When asked, he told him the first was for him, and the second " for the horse you rode in on."

Might not be the origins, but it's the first place I ever saw or heard it used.

17. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That reminds me from another one: like poop through a goose

I had a friend who loved a variation of that quote: You (perform some activity) like old people fuck, slow and sloppy

18. OBY

OBY
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

My dad and grandpa always say when it is hot outside, "it's hotter than a 2 dollar pistol".

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You an' me goin' fishin' in the dark...

Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!

20. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The cats tits

The cats meow

The cats ass or "cat got an ass?" in response to a question

I hear all of these on a daily basis from my boss

Also adding the name Maynard to the end of pretty much any sentence for no reason has always confused me

"Its hot as hell out here today Maynard"